Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just How I See It
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 759

Just How I See It

Sep 18, 2015, 11:54 AM

Based on what we saw last night, I think the following things can be said:

1. Yes, the playcalling was conservative and predictable. Part of that has to do with the defense we were up against. Despite being now 0-3, there front seven are big boys with big motors. They are a stout defense and I fully believe that Louisville will finish 8-4 or 7-5. They have the defense. At the same token, our play calling hamstrung our efforts. We did little to use their defensive speed and quickness against them. This is really concerning to me. With a month to prepare for Oklahoma, everyone was ready to say that we wouldn't miss Morris. However, in the grind of a season, will Elliott-Scott have the ability to recognize tendencies quickly or not. That remains to be seen.

2. Deshaun had a bad game. So far this season, just to me, it seems that he doesn't have the edge that he had last year. He is still good enough mind you, but, he may have been or is believing his press clippings. He needs to get his focus over the next 16 days. Maybe, Louisville's defense is responsible for that. Maybe, a makeshift offensive line is responsible for that. He is simply not though operating with that same urgency and hunger he had last year (when he played).

3. Wayne Gallman has come to play this year. The man was a beast last night. Multiple times her carried the pile two or three yards ahead before he went down. He ain't skeered of a hit either. I liked him last year. I love him this year. And, had it not been for him, we probably would have lost last night.

4. Our defense is to me as good as last year. They made this game along with Gallman on offense. 2 for like 16 on 3rd downs! Wow! However, lapses in the secondary that appeared against App State appeared again last night. But the overall performance was a thing of beauty. Looking for them to only get better. In the absence of that darn 100 yard kickoff return, defense is giving up 10.00 points per game. Not too shabby. Defense will have to carry us until our offense gets more experience and gets out of its funk. Offense has only played well parts of games so far this year.

5. Kickoff coverage has GOT to improve. We almost gave up TDs on kickoffs to App State last week and it cost us 7 pts this week.

OVERALL REVIEW - I can remember when a Clemson team on the road on a Thursday night would fold at the least sign of adversity. The fact that they kept taking punches and survived says a lot about the character of this team. Despite the bad things we see, we were only a 6 point favorite in this game (depsite ESPN's comments that we were "heavily favored"). This was a trap game from the time I saw the schedule, but we survived it.

We are not as good at this point in the season as I think everyone expected. The losses to injury and attrition have hurt the offense the most. We have got to recapture the vertical passing game if we are to be the team that is in the hunt for the ACC title much less talk about the Nat Champ game.

The 16 day lay off could not have come at a better time. We need it bad. Offense needs it bad. Deshaun needs it bad. Let us come back from the break healthy and hungry to prove that we belong in the Top 10.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just How I See It

Sep 18, 2015, 11:58 AM

Joe Tessitore must be a Louisville alum. He sounded absolutely orgasmic when the cards made a play and sounded as if someone punched him in the gut when their kicker missed that kick. I normally don't say this but Palmer was NOT the most annoying announcer last night.

Overall, I agree with what's said, but let me add...

Sep 18, 2015, 12:38 PM

This offense misses Mike Williams. I believe our two best, most polished receivers are Williams and Scott. With Williams out, we don't have a guy with that kind of frame and the ability to stretch the field. Trevion Thompson is about as close as it gets and he has been relatively silent. Surprising considering his hype when recruiting him. Peake just has not seemed very consistent. Maybe his previous injuries are a big part of his play, but if that's the case, Cain and Ray Ray should begin to push for more playing time. This doesn't need to be another instance of a player "paying his dues." Ray Ray always appears to be on the cusp of breaking off a big one...he is going to be fun to watch.

Also, the play calling may have been relatively conservative because of the atmosphere. Dabo harped on the importance of communication in a hostile environment. When you have that many freshman playing, you probably can't go on the road with a complicated system and expect these same freshman to play lights out, hence the conservative plays. I expect the play book to open up from here on out, especially within the friendly confines of Death Valley.

Here's what I saw.

Sep 18, 2015, 12:56 PM

1. I expect a few sprinkles on vanilla. That's all we had to work on and it's all we got unless you count the win.

2. DW4's issue isn't his ego. He's about nine months from having an ACL rebuilt and that's not enough to get full confidence in the leg. If you noticed he laid on the ground a few extra seconds. IMO, his brain was checking to see if his leg was hurt. An ACL heals in six months. I understand that it takes a brain a full year to heal from such an injury. This might be a clue as to why we've had slow methodical starts and vanilla offensive play calling.

3. 100% agree with all. I'll add that our OCs handled the running calls too so don't short their ability to judge a defense and beat them with their playcalling

4. We are at or near where our defense was last year, maybe a little ahead.

5. We need a stronger leg in our kicking game and someone to put a foot up some kid's butt on special teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 759
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic