Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I met Danny & SC HC Morrison at past Shrine Bowls, with 1st PAW Flag...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,860

I met Danny & SC HC Morrison at past Shrine Bowls, with 1st PAW Flag...

Dec 20, 2014, 5:18 PM

Here's my memory of attending many Shrine Bowls..some 35+ years later.

First, this game had every Shriner in the Carolinas out and looking smart in his uni..and ready to hear how much money they'd made from this & other events so to help out the Shriner Hospitals.

And, the weather was mostly cold, damp, wet or raining.

Then, just inside the stadium's entry you would see SC's great hope...Jim (actually Joe) Morrison & the SC coaches..positioned around the top rail, dresssed in All-Black, which started that crazy black craze..and if he spotted me he would smile & say hello since he remembered me from his 1st CU-SC game (in Cola) where I'd run into him hours later at a steakhouse/bar..in my Orange..and walked up, shook his hand & congratulated him on a spirited Loss..and would see him in DV next year. He was a likable guy & gave Coots a shot in the arm they needed so disperately.

Now, Danny & his staff were a different breed. I would lose track of him right after seeing him except at end of game..while his coaches would stand high up in a vacant area of the stands..and discuss about the players they were high on and/or "wanted" to recruit..and it amazed me that they would say some of the most negative (or positive) things about what they saw or felt about a particular Shrine player..and even say out loud what that player might bring to the table vs what a current player offered OR didn't. Brutal but Funny!

And, after the game was over I would position myself (occasionally with my son & maybe one of his friends..all dressed in Orange of course) down on the field's end zone near the goal posts, with that famous #1 3' x 5' Orange Cotton Flag with the large white PAW...waving it as the players from each team walked by to the dressing room after a hard fought game..and maybe us yelling GoTiGERS..so as to help Coach Ford recruit..I thought! Hey, once he smiled at me..I think!

Anyway..I have that old Glory stored..with its holes/blood/mud/sweat/tears still on it.... with a hand written note on one helm saying...

This PAW Flag was waved from a double-high metal pole from 1977-1992 at most every home & away game...including game at UMd in '77 for ACCC & later Gator Bowl vs Pitt, at '78 bowl vs OhIo St, at Notre Dame game in DV '78 & at ND in 1979 (with my 9 year old Son), at '79 Peach Bowl vs Baylor & Singletary, at UNC 10-8 game @ C-H in '81, the NC game in Miami vs Huskers in Jan 1982, at UGa in 1982 for match-up of '80 & '81 NC Teams, at BC in Chestnut Hill vs Flutie in 1983, at the best come-back victory in Clemson history (in 1987) at UVa, at '89 game at Tallie when Terry Allen ran wild and Son & I took my 1st Motor Coach on the road...and that flag was taken to scores of other games & various bowls until 1992 when I retired it.

And, Its Bowl record was 8-2 (I believe)..and I enjoyed 15 wonderful years of promoting Clemson all over the Country by waving it high..and that's why I particularly was proud of the Clemson Alumni Association getting out so early on GameDay to position themselves among the enemy..and wave TWO heavy flags on a long pole..for Hours! Thanks Gals & Guys!!

Signed: The "Flagman"

(Title given to me personally by the late great SID Bob Bradley)

GoTiGERs...keep winning!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good Story, +1.

Dec 20, 2014, 5:26 PM

but I was more interested in Thomas Greene Clemson, wut was he like?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well..didn't realize til '09 Tom was a Yankee from Philly!

Feb 24, 2020, 10:33 PM

Can you believe I*ve looked at his statue from 1957 ...went to school there from '59-66 (on & off)...and didn't realize the Boy was a Philly Steak kind-of guy! LOL.

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jim...jOe...who cares unless it's music! LOL.

Dec 20, 2014, 5:32 PM

This is what 73 years do to you! GoTiGS!

Re: Well..didn't realize til '09 Tom was a Yankee from Philly!

Dec 20, 2014, 5:33 PM [ in reply to Well..didn't realize til '09 Tom was a Yankee from Philly! ]

you have not lived until you have stood out in the cold at 1:00AM for a pat's steak, surrounded by South Philly and all of its scenery.

Joe Morrison***

Dec 20, 2014, 5:30 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent read as always***

Dec 21, 2014, 7:46 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell the truth Bill

Dec 21, 2014, 7:58 PM

Your girlfriend typed this , didnt she??

Hope to see you in Orlando

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,860
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic