Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I just have to say this about the CU/MIA/OU bit . . .
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 2,403

I just have to say this about the CU/MIA/OU bit . . .

Nov 15, 2017, 12:05 PM

Look, let's get something out of the way. There is no valid, logical argument, WHATSOEVER, to be made in support of Miami being ranked above us. None. Zilch, zero, nada. Jonathan Vilma, Joel Klatt, and any and all other media types who say otherwise, no matter how well they know sports, are simply not good at logic and inductive reasoning. Not saying they're biased against Clemson, I'm just saying they are privileging the set of facts that support Miami, and giving more weight to the last week or two rather than looking at the whole picture. The season is a marathon, not a sprint. Teams ought not be ranked simply based on who's hot now. That assumes they get a pass for not being hot earlier. One could just as easily look at the flip side of that -- why doesn't a team like Clemson who was pretty hot out of the gate not get credit for being able to play lights out right out of the gate, whereas Miami staggered to some shaky wins early in the year? So, is playing good early, when everyone else is rusty and still getting their bearings - is that just merit-less? Why? Makes no sense.

Personally, I could be persuaded of Clemson or OU as #2 - I think that's really close. But if pressed, I would probably lean towards OU as #2 at the moment. But in any event, there is simply no case for Miami as #2. There ARE good points in their favor, that one could make, but an overall case is not there:

Oklahoma(9-1); 3-1 vs+.500; 3-0 vs.500; 3-0 vs -.500; Big Wins: OhSt(9), TCU(12), OkSt(13);(Loss ISU)
Clemson (9-1); 6-0 vs+.500; 1-0 vs.500; 2-1 vs -.500; Big Wins: Aub(6), NCS(19), VT (NR): (Loss Syr)
Miami (9-0); 5-0 vs+.500; 0-0 vs.500; 4-0 vs.-.500; Big Wins: ND(8), VT (NR)
NOTE: Two of Miami's wins vs. +.500 teams were vs. Toledo(8-2); and FCS Bethune Cookman (6-4)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Miami has a goose egg in the loss column.

Nov 15, 2017, 12:14 PM

Nothing else indicates or suggest they are better than Clemson. If that is true then nothing indicate Bama is better than Clemson either. UM's and Bama's SOS are comparable.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well now . . .

Nov 15, 2017, 12:33 PM

I think that can be explained by the fact that most people are factoring in some element of the eye test at this point, which I think is somewhat okay, as long as it's used less and less as the season goes on. But what they should not do is limit their eye-test application to just the last week or two.

I do think Clemson's loss is a bad loss and should be held against us, but just not more weighted than any other game.

1 legit reason

Nov 15, 2017, 12:15 PM

It doesn't matter.

Put miami at 1. It will have the same value as miami at #10.

This is exactly why espn has a half hour show dedicated to rankings that don't matter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

If nothing else

Nov 15, 2017, 12:23 PM

The Tigers have been very consistent this entire season. With the exception of that dreadful game with Syracuse, the Tigers have played at the same pace for most of the season. They have never seemed to be real high nor real low. I think that this is Dabo way of coaching. Play your game.
Does this make sense?

It's window into

Nov 15, 2017, 12:37 PM [ in reply to 1 legit reason ]

the committee's thinking and philosophy, and so is the commentary of the talking heads into theirs - and these things tend to feed the media and public narrative about these matters. Thus far the committee has bee admirably unaffected by the media.

People often confuse the idea of a ranking not being final with simply "not mattering" in any general sense. These rankings are final, and thus, they won't determine the match-ups. Ok, sure, but did anyone say otherwise? Overtime the narrative about what criteria and analysis should be applied may seep into the overall culture of the game and future committees. So, when one says it doesn't matter, it depends on what that refers to. Matters for actual vesting of spots? Of course not. Matters for other reasons? That's a different story.

Replies: 5
| visibility 2,403
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic