Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting thing on arguing over when to open
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Interesting thing on arguing over when to open

May 9, 2020, 10:30 AM

In about 2-3 weeks we will know whether it was the right choice from a death standpoint. On an economic standpoint we had to open, contrary to libs thoughts, we just do not have the money to give $2k per month to everyone 16+ to sit at home.

May catch a break with increasing heat and humidity ,even out in SoCal.

While we may be open as of Monday I will still be rocking a mask. It a'int gone and will not be anytime soon.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You and I can write next month's cnn headline right now:

May 9, 2020, 11:03 AM

"Opening Has Caused 35,000 Deaths"

The fatality count then minus the fatality count now will be caused by Trump (though the states make the decision), and that will be the mantra through November. What the MSM will avoid talking about at all costs:

- The total fatality it count is probably a given, within a few percentage points, the only variable being time.
- Lockdown doesn't seem to be the deciding factor in what areas have a high count vs those that don't.
- The value of individual autonomy regardless of any outcomes.

None of those will matter. Total deaths then vs total deaths now...all Trump's fault. Might as well get ready for it, because that will be August's news.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Headline a month from now likely to read more like this...

May 9, 2020, 11:35 AM

"Infections Accelerate As Testing Lags"

Hoping not, but based on Admin "leadership" to date in this area, plus a somehow partisan line over masks in public to help limit concentrations of exposure, we will not be providing the tools to get ahead of it still, though we will hear a daily barrage of BS from the Admin to the contrary.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lags behind what? The rest of the world? Nope.

May 9, 2020, 11:53 AM

Yes, I agree we will see a headline like that, one that implies a problem without actually identifying it or proposing a solution. Just blame. As if the pres has a secret warehouse of 100 million testing kits he's hiding somewhere. There is a button on his desk somewhere that says, "test everybody", and for some reason he just won't push it. Yes, you are right, we will get a headline like that.

You're king of the world. You can't make manufacturing facilities or labs magically appear. Fix testing according to your exalted understanding and abilities. Go. Whatcha got?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lags behind what? The rest of the world? Nope.

May 9, 2020, 12:27 PM

THing folks do not get about testing is that it is only good for that exact period in time. Once you leave and venture about it is no dang good.If we have the capabiltiy to test for those that exhibit symptoms(we do) then what is the point, we currently cannot do contact tracing so testing means squat in reality other than to say yup you got it.

People need to realize you better wear a mask, carry hand sanitizer and wipe stuff down. If we would all do that a lot can be eliminated. Those that choose to do nothing can be an experiment Darwinism.

Sample testing offers precisely that "exact period in time"

May 9, 2020, 1:22 PM

we need. It helps identify cases early, true spread numbers, potential treatments and preventions based on data from negative or asymptomatic results, and, as they continue over time, true and accurate information that best helps containment efforts and effective herd immunity building from community to community.

Getting businesses open and people back to work is one thing, even via force if benefits are rescinded (which should happen), but getting the public to turn out in numbers to support it all and feed revenues into the economy is another story. Sample testing, ongoing, paves this road to recovery.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lags behind the ability to sample communities, inform

May 9, 2020, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Lags behind what? The rest of the world? Nope. ]

scientists and the medical community desperately looking for all-phase data, inspire the general public with REAL numbers, spread, virility, death rate etc. instead of this titter tat BS of maybes, possibles, and other sometimes dangerous dribble.

The Admin is on record saying it's a 'last resort', that states should lead. Yahoos clamor about people wanting to "be saved" by the government instead of taking charge as individuals. Sorry, but I spend 4-5x more on Federal taxes than state and local and I expect a better ROI than we're getting, by a long shot. Taking care of one's self is obviously paramount, but if we don't work better together in unison then we're only making it that much harder on each individual along the way.

"If you want a test you can get a test." We've heard this BS since February. Weren't they also beautiful tests? I forget. And you are absolutely correct in saying that "you can't make manufacturing facilities or labs magically appear." That was February. It is now May. It's like a purchaser getting a 90-day due diligence period on a commercial building, but instead of sending mechanical and structural engineers out to inspect you simply sit back and rely on the seller's word for everything. Wasted time, wasted resources, and you know as much now as you did then, and relying on a "hope" that the AC and electrical all works when you need it, after you've bought it.

Sample testing has been, is, and will be our ticket to getting ahead of defeating this without losing the economy altogether. Three months later and still chasing the boogeyman in the dark on his turf without a flashlight. That's why I fear a month from now, infections and deaths will be accelerating, and it will be due in large part to not having a nationwide program in place to identify it and shine a light. You think this shutdown is bad? Imagine the toll a relapse would take.

Hope I'm wrong.

As far as implementation, utilize the USPS to deliver tests

May 9, 2020, 1:32 PM

to homes, collect next day and deliver to designated labs. They're cash-strapped as it is so here's where they can pitch in and better earn its keep. We are talking about 250,000 tests weekly, not millions and millions, to deliver the info we so desperately need.

i still havent heard an answer to my question.***

May 9, 2020, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Lags behind the ability to sample communities, inform ]

I lead with an answer to your first question.

May 9, 2020, 5:08 PM

Try to keep up.

Try to answer.***

May 9, 2020, 5:29 PM

Re: Try to answer.***

May 10, 2020, 12:53 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-EKGsrq39E

When did testing become a prophylacitic medication?***

May 9, 2020, 5:37 PM [ in reply to Lags behind the ability to sample communities, inform ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The left is down to that because, like the collusion hoaxes,

May 9, 2020, 5:42 PM

the blame game unravels point by point. I give it a week before they blame him for not having produced a time machine so we could send Fauci back to December and prevent all this.

It's not as if the states are ordering folks to go...

May 9, 2020, 12:34 PM

out in public. Anyone who is at high risk is being warned to do whatever it takes within the law to protect themselve.

Imo, this is like ordering the end to automobiles because the blind guy might get in a wreck.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's not as if the states are ordering folks to go...

May 9, 2020, 12:40 PM

Not so fast my friend, once business opens again that means workers head back to the job. Many states have announced if you are called back and do not go the unemployment benefits stop. So there is that to ponder. Now it is true folks can choose to not go to said businesses.

People will be forced to go back to work or lose their homes

May 9, 2020, 12:58 PM

The public is not forced to patronize the businesses. We’re at the beginning of a new Great Depression.

Re: People will be forced to go back to work or lose their homes

May 9, 2020, 1:41 PM

Think I just said that but maybe I has the confuse, well except about the depression part. We will avoid that but have a recession for about 6 months. Face it, lockdowns for 2 years were never in the cards. We did what we could to allow time to get PPE and not overwhelm hospitals. Now we gotta crank back up the economy.

It’s weird, you say you just said that but then went back

May 9, 2020, 5:38 PM

to the we got to crank up the economy part. It’s not gonna come roaring back. Not even in 6 months.

You want to keep folks treading water, give cash to the working class. They spend it.

Re: It’s weird, you say you just said that but then went back

May 9, 2020, 8:20 PM

Yes we DO HAVE TO CRANK up the economy unless you want folks to starve. See, we can not pay folks to sit at home until a vaccine is made. I am out every day, folks are out but I just wish they would wear a mask. I do and go wherever I want with little fear. At this point staying lockeddown is gonna kill the economy and folks better think a bit on what that brings.

We’re going to have to pay them while they’re working.

May 9, 2020, 9:07 PM

Well also need to pay the ones sitting at home.

Unemployment is literally off the charts. We could open everything tomorrow and end all closures and restrictions and we’re still ######.

Tell me you're not pulling for a collapsed economy...

May 9, 2020, 5:13 PM [ in reply to People will be forced to go back to work or lose their homes ]

so you can pull another Russian Collusion type hoax on Trump.

Some don’t see this as a team sport when livelihoods and

May 9, 2020, 5:33 PM

lives are on the line.

Your response is disappointing

Truer than people know. Rather than face this, people tune

May 9, 2020, 5:15 PM [ in reply to People will be forced to go back to work or lose their homes ]

to cnn to get the Kool-Aid. A couple of sips of its-trumps-fault-so-dont-leave-your-house, and they feel all better.

You left out the part where...

May 9, 2020, 5:12 PM [ in reply to Re: It's not as if the states are ordering folks to go... ]

somebody might run them down at the bus stop, have a fatal car crash or a lone gunman might storm their place of work and gun them down like dogs.

That completely misses reality. If production of goods

May 9, 2020, 5:12 PM [ in reply to Re: It's not as if the states are ordering folks to go... ]

and services stop, and a depression like collapse occurs - and if this goes on, it will, which no one disputes - there will be no unemployment benefits. In the 1932 depression people stayed poor and nearly starved not because the govt just stood by and watched, but because it couldn't do anything else. When are people going to realize that the govt has no money? It has only what it can tax from people, a portion of the good and services produced. When those stop, govt stops too.

Or why don't we just stay on permanent lockdown forever, permanent vacation, and let the govt just write us checks? That sounds great, doesn't it?

Young folks have no idea what the depression was like.

May 9, 2020, 5:32 PM

I was raised by a son and daughter of people who lived during the Great Depression. My dad and grandfathers would feed you until you were fat because in their minds being fat was a measure of health.

For those of you who can't understand it, a fat person was wealthy because everyone who wasn't wealth was starving.

I should be able to stay home and get paid for as long as I

May 9, 2020, 5:24 PM [ in reply to Re: It's not as if the states are ordering folks to go... ]

want to. Of course, I'm going to go shopping and do whatever I want on my own free time, just not work.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's not as if the states are ordering folks to go...

May 10, 2020, 6:33 AM [ in reply to Re: It's not as if the states are ordering folks to go... ]

We should have never shut anything down. We just need masks and cleanliness.

From what I see in SC

May 9, 2020, 9:46 PM [ in reply to It's not as if the states are ordering folks to go... ]

A lot of people, FAR too many, think it's over. Gone. Back to whatever. Harbison in Columbia looked almost as bad as Christmas. Publix...well, it was packed like the day before Thanksgiving. Every person in Bed Bath and Beyond and Publix who worked there, was wearing a mask. Half the people shopping in Publix were. Hardly anyone at Harbison was wearing crap. Traffic was horrible also. About average in Lexington, but BAD in Harbison. Like holiday shopping traffic.

In a month, cases will skyrocket.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It will be interesting to see what actually happens

May 9, 2020, 2:05 PM

When the States run out of money and congress won't open

May 9, 2020, 5:21 PM

the checkbook for them, they will let us go back to work. Meanwhile, government workers are still getting paid the same as they were two months ago and not one has been laid off.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The probability that a government worker will die...

May 9, 2020, 5:40 PM

at work is twice that of getting fired or laid off.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic