Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The push to eliminate student loans
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 605

The push to eliminate student loans

Jun 14, 2019, 9:38 PM

Politicians on the Dem side are pushing to eliminate student loans debts. Why don’t they instead sponsor more grants and scholarships to make college affordable? Perhaps a huge cash infusion in state public schools to help expand enrollment and lighten tuition for those admitted.

Most folks agree that the cost of college is getting high. Combination of rising rates and less state funding.

If an student pursues a more expensive private school, then that’s on them. If they take 6 years to graduate or pursue multiple degrees, that’s on them.

Subsidizing state schools would encourage students to take the less expensive route, and have more public support.

What am I missing?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a zero sum game. The more money students have to spend

Jun 14, 2019, 9:58 PM

for college, the more they will charge. The more money people have to spend on a house, the higher real estate costs. The more money people have to spend for medicine, the more it will cost. Watch what happens to real estate prices if the 30-year rate climbs to 6-7%.

This is what happens when cheap debt and/or government money enters an otherwise "free" market.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When I was a kid, people who went to college generally fell

Jun 14, 2019, 10:52 PM

into two categories: The really smart kids or the wealthy kids. Everybody else went to a tech school or went to work. Of course there were a handful of dumb jocks who got around the rules, and those who took advantage of the GI bill or worked and paid their way through, but I'd think they comprised a pretty small percentage. Now, with student loans and a plethora of grants and scholarships available, most kids with just a little smarts expect to go to college. It's good AND bad. More people get to go to college, which is good, but the cost is much greater and the degree means less (generally).

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Zero Sum game – somebody wins, somebody loses.

Jun 15, 2019, 9:07 AM [ in reply to It's a zero sum game. The more money students have to spend ]

Money itself isn't lost or made, it's simply transferred – from one perception to another.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Should have gone to Morehouse.***

Jun 14, 2019, 10:01 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Better hope you graduated in the correct year***

Jun 14, 2019, 11:30 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All of this is already available if you’re realistic

Jun 14, 2019, 11:06 PM

I’ll use my 2 cousins once removed (is that what you call your 1st cousin‘s kids?) as a small sample set.

Cousin 1 worked hard through high school, got good grades, was active in clubs and sports, did a lot of investigating of careers that coupled her creative interests and a love of the outdoors with her ability in math. She got her 1st 2 years out of the way at Greenville Tech debt free then transferred to Clemson and majored in Env Engineering with some scholarships and worked 2 internships. She got hired before she graduated loves her job and is debt free.

Cousin 2 worked hard through high school, got good grades, was active in clubs and sports, didn’t really know what she wanted to do except go to Clemson so she majored in psychology with a little bit of scholarship money. She got loans to make up the difference and is up to her eyeballs in debt. She has 2 part time jobs, one selling in a local art gallery the other waiting tables and lives at home because she has zero money left after making her loan payments.

I think college has gotten too expensive in general but I also don’t think we should be subsidizing 4 year “vision quests” for people who want to study the cool stuff with no job prospects. Study neoCroatian Lit on your dime.

Sorry no pigs

I really pissed off another cousin that was complaining how much it was going to cost to send his kid to Winthrop when I said, if he doesn’t have the grades to get at least a little bit of scholarship money then maybe he ought to rethink the whole college thing, at least right now.

Free college is a good campaign gimmick but it needs a dose of practicality.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The problem as I see it is that everyone thinks they are entitled to any school option.

Jun 15, 2019, 11:53 AM

And that’s not true. Especially not if I have to pay for you. I am not interested in paying for you to get the very best college credential in 16th Century Pottery.

Again, I think several states have significantly reduced their allotment to public schools and instead are upping their scholarships for in state students. That makes public schools tuitions go up. I know that’s the case in SC.

When I was looking at schools, I had a pretty good but not elite “resume”. I got full ride offers to lesser-known small schools in my home state. We were middle class so Clemson was an option. If your family has no money, but you did well in school, you should look to get into one of those schools hungry for better students, get an Accounting degree, graduate with no debt and get a solid job. It won’t help your ego but it will great for your quality of life and your wallet.

Back to the OP proposal, the best thing the federal government can do is to stay out of the higher education business. They won’t help. They’ll only distort the market, buy votes and screw it up worse.

null

many colleges have become daycare.

Jun 15, 2019, 1:29 PM

Kids who are not prepared for college are graduating from college. It takes me back to what the old folks said when I was a child. A fool with an education is an educated fool.

Folks are now going off to and finishing college then returning to live with their parents. What's college good for if you can't be independent after graduation? Why go to college?

Back in the day some kids when to college to avoid taking a real job and growing up. They usually grew up real fast and did college level work or they found themselves being toss for poor grades. Now days colleges are all about keeping those kids in schools so they can continue collecting that money.

High schools are doing the exact same thing. In fact, colleges are the exact next step for those under educated and therefor uneducated kids to continue to exist without becoming independent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I havent heard what they're going to do about future debt***

Jun 15, 2019, 5:24 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The push to eliminate student loans

Jun 15, 2019, 5:45 PM

we used to do this, people don't like paying taxes and subsisides for state and public colleges were one of the first things to go away in the 90's. Republicans will makes up all kinds of nonsense on how public colleges over pay their presidents, charge too much, or just mismanage your money. But the reality is most public Universities had to keep raising tuition to offset subsidies that were slowly being taken away.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

$1.4 Trillion in govt debt isn’t simply “eliminated”

Jun 16, 2019, 7:30 AM

Liberal democrats are baiting voters with this, slave reparations, etc., and all kinds of other free ####. They have no intention of following through with any of this. It’s bait. Sadly the uninformed, unaware American voter is buying right into another “hope” scenario as democrats target their biggest sources of pain and concern. Once again, they’re pandering ideas that sound good, but never actually work.

Replies: 11
| visibility 605
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic