Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It is seeming like the whole season hinges on UGA game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,140

It is seeming like the whole season hinges on UGA game

Aug 18, 2013, 12:23 PM

Am I misinterpreting the board or does it seem like a loss in the first game immediately puts the season into a position where the only way to salvage it is to beat SCAR?

I can't help but think there are too many people on here that will consider the season disappointing if the record is 12-2 with a conference championship, a BCS bowl win but the two losses were to UGA and SCAR.

When I see people posts comments that Dabo should be fired if he loses to SCAR again I just SMH at the idiocy of that when he could have a season like the one described above, but some would be ticked and want him gone.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It is seeming like the whole season hinges on UGA game

Aug 18, 2013, 12:45 PM

No,you are not misinterpreting the board.
You are misinterpreting those members of the board who allready have us pegged as National Champions.
However,for Clemson to gain respect,and to maintain a high enough position in the standings to challange for the NC,we have to beat UGA.
You can pretty much count on Clemson falling farther behind UGA,and the Coots if they lose the opener.They definitly then would fall out of NC contention.
Same could be said about the Coots,and their home opener against UNC if either team is going to have a legitimate shot at winning the NC.
Now if Clemson were to go 12-2,one of those losses could be an ACC game other than FSU(maybe one of the two thursday nite games)but they probably can't lose two ACC games.
Still, for Clemson to gain any respect from the polls,I think( and it's just my opinion) the UGA game is far more important for Clemson than the Carolina game.
In fact as much as it would hurt to lose to the Coots for a fifth straight year,I think losing too them next season when the game is back in the Valley would probably be more detremental to Dabo being fired than this season when we have to travel to Columbia.

Being National Champion means everything!

Aug 18, 2013, 3:31 PM

That's why we play is to win every game! To lose one will wreck the season. To lose another one to the coots would be unforgivable.

Sludge, as I read the comments, the excitement now is

Aug 18, 2013, 12:48 PM

for the Georgia game. Most people are practical minded, and while believing the stars may be aligning for a great season, they know there may be pitfalls ahead.

What is great to see is the optimism, and Clemson folks returning to "expectations" of wins, rather than "hopes." Of course, like most everyone else, I'd like to see us go all the way, but then, so would a lot of fans of other schools. Unfortunately, only one will.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can't go far nationally by losing to the SEC

Aug 18, 2013, 12:51 PM

So, I think a lot of us on the board who want the team and ultimately the conference to get more respect everywhere expect us to beat UGA. SCar is always an expected or MUST win, but that one is always squishy lately. If you just want a winning season perhaps beating SEC teams isn't such a big deal.

A loss to USuC is a disappointing season.

Aug 18, 2013, 12:52 PM

Unless we somehow won the NC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

A loss to USuC is a disappointing season.

Aug 18, 2013, 12:55 PM

Period.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

of course there's hype

Aug 18, 2013, 1:26 PM

AWe proved we can come back from a loss and win; as we did in the Peach Bowl. The entire country saw it as they awaited midnight.

Nobody, outside of PawNation, gave us a chance. Folks were impressed. And Boyd came back for an even better season. Expect a win on the 31st. We've gotta defend our house. Realistically we should win.

And I do expect a win in cootlumbia. Nothing wrong with that. We're on the threshold and I feel its time to make that jump. I'm not doing that whole NC game talk but do I expect and believe we're going to win those two games. But I'm not crowning us. Thats insane hype.

"IF" we lose to Dawgs, then I hope the aim is to be beat SC

Aug 18, 2013, 1:33 PM

like a drum at their infamous Willie B stadium in front of all their black/garnet dressed flag-waving fans so they will know that the tide has changed..and Clemson owns a one-peat, with many more to come!

GoTiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "IF" we lose to Dawgs, then I hope the aim is to be beat SC

Aug 18, 2013, 1:35 PM

Well put. Where ya been? Haven't heard from ya in a while.

Re: of course there's hype

Aug 18, 2013, 3:21 PM [ in reply to of course there's hype ]

Winning both of those SEC bookend games would be huge for the Tigers nationally, and is certainly possible. However, it would be better to lose the first game rather than the last, from a rankings perspective. If Clemson loses to Georgia, they wouldn't drop very far, and still have the whole season ahead of them to make up ground. Losing the last game, however, has more postseason ramifications to a teams future. Let's just hope the Tigers TCB on August 31, November 30, and all points in between, so this discussion becomes a moot point!

Re: It is seeming like the whole season hinges on UGA game

Aug 18, 2013, 3:02 PM

I agree, OP. Many here constantly complains about the SEC hype, but everyone is obsessing over our two SEC opponents like it makes or breaks our season.

Being a BCS National Champion does***

Aug 18, 2013, 3:07 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I fully expect to go undefeated every year...

Aug 18, 2013, 3:26 PM

in my Orange Pumping Heart. Somehow my head always knows that when the OPH breaks with our first loss we'll still have another game to play and I'll live to see us fight another day.

Wanna go down by the bay and eat some hay?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,140
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic