Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting information on Tillman Hall
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,741

Interesting information on Tillman Hall

Dec 1, 2019, 12:10 AM

https://www.postandcourier.com/opinion/commentary/scoppe-why-clemson-won-t-be-renaming-tillman-hall-anytime/article_594b30cc-112a-11ea-b992-b36c3fbb5ee8.html

I didn’t realize state law prevents any renaming. Before being called Tillman it was “old main”. Personally I think it would be a good idea if our University reverted to referring to the building as old main. Keep in mind it was not originally named for Tillman.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting information on Tillman Hall

Dec 1, 2019, 12:23 AM

Any idea from Sapakoff is a bad one. Ignore him.
There is a Tillman hall on Winthrop campus too. I don’t hear any push back about that.

Dec 1, 2019, 12:45 AM

Many years ago when I lived in Charleston I was a regular subscriber to the Charleston Post & Courier and also the Evening Post. In those days Sapakoff covered the Tigers and was very fair about them. Ken Burger (RIP), a UGA guy, covered the Gamecocks and was often fairly critical of them. It was good stuff!

If you know South Carolina history then you know that "Pitchfork" Ben Tillman was not a good guy. I had not heard of the "Old Main" reference but I think it would be a great alternative name for that iconic building.

Go Tigers!
38-3!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2019, 12:46 AM

I do not know of anyone that still has a subscription to that commie rag.

Dec 1, 2019, 12:57 AM

Did you have a point you wanted to make about the OP?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2019, 1:38 AM

What I think people should keep in mind is that certain things take an identity of their own. Very few people would know anything about the namesakes of places on campus unless someone decides to make an issue with it. It is a shame that there is a bad history involved with Benjamin Tillman, but Tillman Hall is known as an iconic place and an original building on campus. It is not known for a person.

To explain my position, I would make comparisons to the Indian mascot controversy. A Washington Redskins player asked a simple question. If you have your back to the door and I say a couple of Redskins just walked in, are you going to expect to see a couple of Indians or a couple of Washington Redskin fans when you turn around? To me, we should not make a big deal out of the origins of something becomes an entity in and of itself.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,741
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic