Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In-state basketball talent
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 2,031

In-state basketball talent

Feb 13, 2017, 9:09 AM

It's been argued that there isn't any basketball talent in SC. That simply isn't true. Not to mention current nationally ranked high schoolers Zion Williamson, Nick Claxton, Christian Brown and Devontae Shuler. Here are some native South Carolinians on major D-1 rosters currently:

Juwan Evans, soph. PG, Oklahoma State
Dante Buford, soph. SF, Oklahoma
Seventh Woods, fresh. PG, UNC
LJ Peak, junior SF, Georgetown
Tevin Mack, soph. SF, Texas
Deriante Jenkins, soph. SF, VCU
Sindarius Thornwell, senior SF, Coot U
PJ Dozier, soph. PG, Coot U
Justin McKie, junior PG, Coot U
Jordan Bruner, fresh. PF, Yale
Joseph Battle, fresh. SG, Tulsa
Matt Howard, senior SG, Brown
Austin Ajukwa, junior SF, UNC-Charlotte

Plus, they're many more at the mid major D1 level.
The past 4 years has been one of the best eras for D-1 HS hoops talent possibly ever in state, and it's only getting better.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In-state basketball talent

Feb 13, 2017, 9:13 AM

Peak, Evans, Mack, Thornwell and Dozier are all pretty dang good ball players.

Our state is littered with the long, athletic 6'5-6'6 guys

Feb 13, 2017, 9:17 AM

Sam Perry and Bryan Narcisse types.

several problems here, and they're enlightening....

Feb 13, 2017, 9:48 AM

what exactly would entice an in-state player to come to Clemson?

typically schools have some sort of history they can rely on,

and as we've seen with Coot football,

negative school history can overcome evev super-positive conference (SEC) history/brand.

of the ones on your list, Thornwell, McKie, and Dozier were never interested in Clemson.

Ajukwa left in part because of playing time issues.

7th Woods picked UNCheat over a passel of possibilities,

and we've been turned down by elite in-state talent (Brice Johnson) for UNC before, even as we thought we had him.

most of the others went to the Big XII - could it be that there weren't other good competing offers nearby,

or possibly were academic issues suggesting a move to a more lenient conference (XII)?

Likely a little of both.

and this completely ignores the issue of compatibility to the program's culture -

something Dabo is adamant about on the Football side.

Brand, my friend - Clemson has no Brand or history in basketball - none... zippo... nada.

Recruiting more definitively in-state could be one way to go...

but with the exception of ZW, there's no quick fix on that list... not even Thornwell.

Re: several problems here, and they're enlightening....

Feb 13, 2017, 10:01 AM

Never once mentioned Clemson. Brownell's or his predecessors recruiting or lack thereof is another thing altogether. My argument is with some folks here who has said there's no talent here in South Carolina.

I think if you'll re-read my post, I never mention Brownell

Feb 13, 2017, 11:33 AM

either, only Clemson.

And since this is a Clemson BBall board, your comment should only have relevance if you're talking about Clemson, right?

You made a good point - HS BBall talent has improved since the 80's such that there is more

D1 talent available in the State now, though it's still not anywhere near North Carolina.

My point was that your list was generally non-relevant to Clemson, and thus this Board you might say,

due to several factors not specific to any one Clemson Coach or time period.

Those negative factors are institutional, and therefore very hard to overcome:

Clemson Brand and culture, ACC competition, historical preferences by the populace for other South Carolina institutions, etc.

South Carolina could be a veritable hotbed of BBall talent, and without overcoming some of those issues

it might not mean a hill of beans to Clemson.

what do you have against paragraphs?***

Feb 13, 2017, 11:12 AM [ in reply to several problems here, and they're enlightening.... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

Re: what do you have against paragraphs? if you use them

Feb 13, 2017, 12:05 PM

dont the terrorists win? ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did our staff even try to recruit any of those players?

Feb 13, 2017, 10:40 AM

Seems we've had a "why even bother with it" approach to recruiting under this regime.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did our staff even try to recruit any of those players?

Feb 13, 2017, 10:53 AM

If I recall, we went after Evans, Woods, Mack, and Jenkins. Bruner shunned us for Yale towards the end.

Thornwell also***

Feb 13, 2017, 12:35 PM

That is one sad track record of failure.

Feb 13, 2017, 12:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Did our staff even try to recruit any of those players? ]

A coach with just minimal recruiting skills should have gotten a couple of those players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That is one sad track record of failure.

Feb 13, 2017, 4:56 PM

So after you are shown you were wrong you decide to yet again attack the staff instead of admitting that you were in fact wrong....

Great job.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Re: That is one sad track record of failure.

Feb 14, 2017, 6:50 PM [ in reply to That is one sad track record of failure. ]

Really? Why do you say that? If you look through our history not one coach was able to keep all the top talent in state. That goes for our in state rival too. It is sad and maybe some other coach could've dine better, but no coach has done it so far.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, our coaches are morons and don't care.

Feb 13, 2017, 3:57 PM [ in reply to Did our staff even try to recruit any of those players? ]

Of course we recruited those guys. Some were not interested, and others had us in their final group of schools. I don't understand why you and others here think that our coaches just don't try or care when it comes to recruiting. They do.

I can guarantee you that most top recruits, even those who have us on their final list, ultimately decide against us for one or more of the following reasons:

1. Poor basketball facilities.
2. Poor basketball tradition.
3. Mediocre fan support.
4. Inconsistent administration support.

One of these four has already been addressed (facilities). Our facilities now allow us to have recruits on campus to see what a wonderful environment they could play in, practice in, workout in, and meet in. Prior to this year, our facilities really hurt us when being compared to others in the ACC. Clemson fans like to blame our coaches or the fact that we are a "football school," but the poor facilities have been a huge reason why we haven't had much recruiting success.

Now, with that said, there is a perception that Clemson's administration and fans do not care enough about basketball. This is understandable, because an administration and fan base that cares would not allow for outdated facilities and half-empty arenas to happen. However, my hope is that the new facilities show recruits that we do care about basketball. A strong basketball program can coexist with a strong football program. There is no reason for it to be either-or, and my challenge for a lot of Clemson fans is to get over the idea that supporting basketball like crazy somehow makes us less of a football school.

If the administration truly supports basketball, then they will fire Brownell after this season (barring a miracle NCAA Tournament run) and go after a proven winner for our next coach.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: No, our coaches are morons and don't care.

Feb 13, 2017, 4:02 PM

I agree with everything you said, and I would add to it by saying that kids want to go somewhere to get exposure. I realize mostly everyone here is die hard Clemson and only thinks of college sports, but these kids want to go somewhere that is proven to produce NBA players. And playing prime time games and big rivalries, the chances to be seen and known, and even in the running for a national player of the year, etc. And that could happen at Clemson, but its way more likely to happen at a school where you are surrounded by proven coaches and elite talent in the rest of the starting lineup

the Judge calls it tradition - I call it Brand....

Feb 13, 2017, 4:48 PM

and Clemson has none.

perception, my eye... most "fans" wouldn't know any

Feb 13, 2017, 4:47 PM [ in reply to No, our coaches are morons and don't care. ]

of Clemson's ACC basketball history:

guys like Butch Zatazelo, David Angel, Stan Rome, the Mahaffey brothers, et al.

No they think Oliver Purnell walked on water,

or vaguely remember Cliff Ellis.

Then they get on here and B&M because their ego is hurt we don't win more....

seriously, Clemson fans need to shut up, show up, raise the roof up,

and after 3 consistent years of doing that - regardless wins and losses -

if things aren't any better,

then just ask if there's anything else they can do.

Otherwise, stay the hail out of the BBall program...

Re: perception, my eye... most "fans" wouldn't know any

Feb 13, 2017, 4:57 PM

I think your keyboard is malfunctioning. It seems to be randomly hitting enter.

nah...

Feb 13, 2017, 4:58 PM

nothing random

about it.

Re: nah...

Feb 13, 2017, 4:59 PM

Oh it 100% is random. There is no school that ever teaches a line break after a comma.

Feb 13, 2017, 5:41 PM

But, if he does the line break after every punctuation symbol would it then be "random?" I mean it looks more like a pattern to me, which is quite the opposite.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2017, 9:32 AM

Except he doesnt do it after every punctuation see the line "seriously, Clemson fans need to shut up, show up, raise the roof up," as evidence.

Feb 14, 2017, 10:29 AM

Yeah,

he did it after the comma,

which is a punctuation.

hth

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2017, 10:37 AM

You said "every" HTH...