Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In 24 hours, my Grandson starts the trip of a lifetime
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,939

In 24 hours, my Grandson starts the trip of a lifetime

Oct 23, 2014, 9:01 AM

He is 13 years old. His grandmother moved to Los Angeles from Chihuahua, Mexico, in the mid 1960's with two small daughters and made a good life for herself as a single mom. She remarried and had a son. So I inherited three grown adult children and four grand-children when I married Elva seven years ago. A fifth grand-daughter has been born since we were married.

Lucas is the oldest son of Elva's oldest daughter. In 26 hours, we depart LAX for ATL which will be his first plane ride, his first trip to the South, and our first trip together of any sort. Seven hours later, he will be crossing Hartwell Lake and know he is somewhere very special since the air smells different as soon as you cross the boundary into South Carolina. About 20 minutes later, he will see his great-grand-father for the first time in Anderson where we will spend the next two nights. He will hear lots of stories about family history, unusual characters, construction work, and B-24s.

The next day we drive to Clemson, South Carolina, in the middle of the day. He will be introduced to tailgating, friendly people wearing orange, electricity in the air that he has never felt before, leaves falling from trees and some of them will also be orange along with yellow and red ones, homecoming exhibits, downtown Clemson, Tillman Hall, Bowman Field, the band, the cheerleaders, and a very large crowd of people who for the most part all agree on the intended outcome of a pending football game. He will hear the National Anthem, hopefully a prayer if that is still allowed, and the 25 most exciting seconds in college football. He will be sitting in Section G, Row S.

A few hours later, we will be driving back to Anderson. We will be tired. And he will have memories that last forever.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds great!

Oct 23, 2014, 9:19 AM

Travel safe. And yes, there is still an invocation and "God Bless America" along with the national anthem.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He will in fact hear a prayer

Oct 23, 2014, 9:21 AM

Have a safe trip and Clemson welcome him to DEATH VALLEY!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Safe travels and please post his reaction when you get home.

Oct 23, 2014, 9:24 AM

What a great memory you all are going to share.

Safe travels!***

Oct 23, 2014, 9:35 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Terrific! Hope you both have a great weekend.***

Oct 23, 2014, 10:12 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

congrats to lucas and grandpa! safe travels.***

Oct 23, 2014, 10:25 AM

GoTiguhs!!

Are you going to give him his first beer at said tailgate?

Oct 23, 2014, 10:30 AM

I'll hang up and listen.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Fantastic post - terrific Grandpa - amazing memories for you

Oct 23, 2014, 10:48 AM

both.

It will impact him for the rest of his life.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: In 24 hours, my Grandson starts the trip of a lifetime

Oct 23, 2014, 10:53 AM

Sounds just wonderful! Glad you are sharing Clemson with him, he's never going to forget it!

Safe travels and see you in Lot 3!!! We'll be there by noon!***

Oct 23, 2014, 10:54 AM

Fantastic post, man

Oct 23, 2014, 11:00 AM

Wow......thanks for starting my day in San Jose with this. Things like this are what life is all about. Hes a lucky young man and lucky to have a grandpa like you.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome...looks to be a perfect weekend in God's country!***

Oct 23, 2014, 1:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WoW "LA"...what an adventure for you two Boys!

Oct 23, 2014, 3:43 PM

Savor the memory-making time together...and please tell us about it when back home!

GoTiGERS...git er done Men!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

rockin' good news!***

Oct 23, 2014, 3:51 PM

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,939
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic