Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm usually on the sidelines in the whole gun debate
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

I'm usually on the sidelines in the whole gun debate

Oct 2, 2015, 11:55 AM

Mainly because I don't know anything about guns. I've never touched one. I wouldn't know how to get one if I wanted one.

But when people talk about "gun control," what are they referring to? When the President says we need to do something to stop the gun violence, what specifically is he referring to?

I think we should do things to prevent bad people from getting guns. But I don't know how you have any idea who is bad and who is good. And you can't just make guns illegal, without changing the constitution.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bruh, wrong day for politics...we're discussing boots

Oct 2, 2015, 12:00 PM

and rain only

just look at Chicago

strictest gun laws in the us.

http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/shootings

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see that all the time, but I don't know what it means.

Oct 2, 2015, 12:02 PM

What about their laws are strict?

Re: I see that all the time, but I don't know what it means.

Oct 2, 2015, 12:03 PM

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/82-shot-15-dead-city-strictest-gun-laws-united-states/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think xtiger means to refer you to this quote.

Oct 2, 2015, 2:18 PM

"The ban on assault rifles, a high-capacity magazine ban, and nowhere to purchase ammo."

Didn't notice any other details of Chicago's gun laws in that article.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Re: just look at Chicago

Oct 2, 2015, 12:39 PM [ in reply to just look at Chicago ]

Do you think there is a gun issue at all in america? I'm just curious.

If you look at studies like these: http://www.vox.com/2015/8/27/9217163/america-guns-europe

It shows that america doesn't necessarily have a higher rate of crime, but that the crime is much more likely to be lethal due to the prevalence of guns. The homicide rate by firearm is almost 4 times as high in america (29.7 per MM) as the next highest advanced country Switzerland (7.7 per MM).

Can you honestly say that not only is that not a problem but that guns have absolutely no effect on that statistic? Look i'm not even debating particular laws or taking guns away. I just want to know if you really don't think there is a gun problem.

We can talk solutions but that can only happen if you even think there is a problem.

no, you have a criminal problem***

Oct 2, 2015, 1:51 PM

Re: no, you have a criminal problem***

Oct 2, 2015, 2:47 PM

Did you just gloss over the article? We have about the same crime rates but ours our more lethal, the difference is the guns....

You think guns have absolutely zero to do with what's going on?

They're talking about making it hard for almost everybody

The gun lobby don't want law abiding people to have lots of roadblocks to getting a gun.

Compare to the abortion debate, where one side treats every regulation of abortion as an imposition on a constitutional right to easy access to abortion, while the other side wants it to be difficult for anybody to get an abortion.

Another corollary is the seemingly obvious idea that making guns illegal (or nearly illegal) would decrease violence and that making abortion illegal would decrease child-murder.

The big difference is that we have to look to the "penumbras" and "emanations" of the constitution to find a right to abortion, while the right to own a gun is completely explicit.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Difficult, like how...

Oct 2, 2015, 12:03 PM

Lots of forms to fill out or something. Very strict qualifications of some sort?

What would disqualify me from getting a gun right now? (In SC)

One thing some want is an assault weapons ban

Oct 2, 2015, 12:07 PM

The problem with that is that "assault weapons" are just rifles that look like military rifles, but that don't have the fully automatic capability of military rifles.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If there were a characteristic of a weapon

Oct 2, 2015, 12:14 PM

that made it advantageous for murdering a bunch of people, and that characteristic did not serve a purpose in self-defense or hunting, then I guess I would be open to making that characteristic illegal.

Re: If there were a characteristic of a weapon

Oct 2, 2015, 12:32 PM

careful, you'll get kicked out of your party for thinking sensable

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Abolish Qualified Immunity

Tell us, oh wise one, what would that characteristic

Oct 2, 2015, 12:47 PM

be? I'd be willing to bet you can't.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tell us, oh wise one, what would that characteristic

Oct 2, 2015, 12:51 PM

oh there you go again asking dumb questions that you already know the answer to

It's not a dumb question. Which characteristic

Oct 2, 2015, 1:00 PM

needs to be banned so that we can feel safer?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know!

Oct 2, 2015, 1:13 PM

The thing where the pointy things come out needs to be stoppered!

I don't like the fancy grips on some of them

Oct 2, 2015, 1:16 PM

They make them look all military and it upsets me.

omg! I know.

Oct 2, 2015, 1:21 PM

They look so harsh!

Why do guns have to look so severe and serious?

outlaw all scary looking guns, none of mine look scary***

Oct 2, 2015, 6:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would like to purchase a very cute stainless Colt 1911.

Oct 2, 2015, 9:45 PM

It doesn't look scary at all. Its shiny!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What party would that be?***

Oct 2, 2015, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Re: If there were a characteristic of a weapon ]

Re: What party would that be?***

Oct 2, 2015, 12:58 PM

ummm i'll take the GOP for a thousand Alex

I am not a member of the GOP.***

Oct 2, 2015, 2:43 PM

Re: I am not a member of the GOP.***

Oct 2, 2015, 7:26 PM

from reading your past posts, im a bit surprised thatbyou are not.,,
but OK

I haven't voted for a Republican for Prez since 2004.***

Oct 3, 2015, 10:06 AM

That's enough to make a person

Oct 3, 2015, 12:36 PM

want to go for confession. Shame on you. A few "Hail Mary's" and you will be reborn.

Go all Tigers, play hard but fair.

Re: If there were a characteristic of a weapon

Oct 2, 2015, 12:42 PM [ in reply to If there were a characteristic of a weapon ]

If you look at the rate of homicides with "assault rifles" though, you'll see that they aren't even a blip on the radar vs handguns.

It's actually kind of a proof of something. Assault rifles are a bit harder to procure simply due to the cost, so in essence they are simply harder to get and low and behold their use in crime is lower.

It's almost as if making guns harder to get would reduce crimes with guns...

How are you going to make them harder to get?***

Oct 2, 2015, 12:51 PM

Re: How are you going to make them harder to get?***

Oct 2, 2015, 2:01 PM

How about breaking them up in itty bitty pieces and making cap pistols from the remains. Then we could play cowboys and Indians again. That might reduce killings though and some of us would have nothing to post silly stuff about.

Go all Tigers, stop killing each other and do what is necessary to curb violence.

Of course. Solid solutions from geechie, as usual.***

Oct 2, 2015, 2:11 PM

Maybe this is another solid way.

Oct 2, 2015, 2:15 PM

The student and Army veteran who witnesses say charged the shooter at a community college in Oregon is alert and awake at the hospital as he recovers.

Chris Mintz, 30, was shot seven times during the Thursday rampage, but he says his main concern is about the others who were injured.

"I just hope that everyone else is OK," he told ABC News this morning.

"I'm just worried about everyone else.”

Oct 2, 2015, 2:58 PM [ in reply to Re: How are you going to make them harder to get?*** ]

re. "Go all Tigers, stop killing each other and do what is necessary to curb violence. "

what Tigers are in the news killing each other with guns ?

do you even read half of your posts bro?

I think you are a pretty smart guy, but you can post some bat sh|t crazy stuff.

Go all Tigers, stop posting bat sh|t crazy stuff.

Maybe I should have posted don't dive in the mud but

Oct 3, 2015, 12:30 PM

that would have been silly. Swear that no Tiger has ever killed anyone if you are so darn sure. I was just giving you and my other Tiger brothers some friendly advice. I shall continue to do so if I choose to and still have access to this forum. I'm pleased to be accused by you. P&R Reps. are too harmless to do any harm at all. Is this better?

Go all Tigers, don't kill anyone unless it is in the line of duty, it is not nice.

Oct 2, 2015, 2:48 PM [ in reply to How are you going to make them harder to get?*** ]

how does the rest of the civilized world do it?

Let me pose the question another way

Oct 2, 2015, 2:56 PM

What, specifically, would you like to see done to restrict access, and how would it impact gun violence?

As an aside, do you not think there's some sort of correlation with illegal immigration and violent crime? I don't have any stats, but I would be curious to know the % of gun crimes committed by illegals....illegals who already have established smuggling routes throughout the country.

I'd also be curious to see polls from Europe regarding gun ownership in a year or so after the supposed refugees get settled, or not settled, however you want to look at it.

Re: Let me pose the question another way

Oct 2, 2015, 3:32 PM

No, i'm not going to let you off that easy by switching topics again. Do you, or do you not think there a problem with gun violence in this country? We can disagree on the solution all day, that's totally fine. I'm trying to see if you think there is even a problem that needs a solution. I don't want to put words in your mouth but you and others on this board seem to be saying that guns have zero to do with the current problem.

> As an aside, do you not think there's some sort of correlation with illegal immigration and violent crime?

I'm sure there is some correlation sure. But if you are suggesting that illegal immigrations is the cause of the gun violence problems we are talking about right now, no. If there are stats that say otherwise then fair enough.

> I don't have any stats,

With all due respect, there is not much I can say then other than that if the stats are indeed what you say, then of course that is problem that needs addressing. I have not seen any stats saying illegal immigration is the root of the problem here though.

Oct 2, 2015, 5:38 PM

I'll answer

Yes, I think there is an issue with gun violence.

Do I blame it on the guns? No.

Oct 2, 2015, 11:58 PM

The guns themselves aren't to blame, the availability of them is.

Oct 2, 2015, 11:58 PM

I should clarify that the availability of them helps, it's not the sole reason of course.

The previous assault weapons ban also included

Oct 2, 2015, 1:24 PM [ in reply to One thing some want is an assault weapons ban ]

prohibitions against large capacity magazines.

But does it really matter?

Oct 2, 2015, 9:42 PM

They can always reload with another magazine. My 9 mm holds 18 rounds. Would it matter if it only held 10, and I had two full magazines? It takes less than 2 seconds to release and insert a new fully loaded magazine.

Re: I'm usually on the sidelines in the whole gun debate

Oct 3, 2015, 9:46 AM

He is trying to gather votes. If people want to keep a highly venomous snake in their house and increase the likelihood of getting bit, then that is on them. They are intended for one purpose and that is why I find them distasteful

Message was edited by: Tigerbalm1®

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To specifically answer your question...

Oct 7, 2015, 10:29 PM

They want to outlaw popular modern looking semi-automatic rifles. These are sometimes called "assault rifles." (Semi-automatic means each time you pull the trigger, it shoots one round. Fully automatic rifles are already banned, unless you have a very restricted license from the federal government.) Examples of these rifles are the AR-15 (similar to the M-16, M-4, etc used by most infantrymen these days) and the type 56 rifle (the legal, semi-auto version of the AK-47)

They also want to outlaw magazines (also called clips) that hold over 7 or 10 rounds (depending on who you ask) of ammunition.

They also want universal background checks, which is specifically targeted at gun-show sales at which private sellers can sell to someone with no background check.

/\These measures were defeated in congress./\

The long-term goal is to have people register to buy guns and probably to ban handguns.

The NRA says that the laws we have now would work if they were actually enforced. But that the background system is underfunded and not taken seriously enough. They also say that not enough is being done to keep guns out of the hands of criminals or the mentally ill. The NRA also says that those convicted of violent crimes should be more heavily prosecuted since they are responsible for the vast majority of gun homicides.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic