Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If a recruit is gonna shop around
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

If a recruit is gonna shop around

Apr 5, 2013, 2:56 PM

Like they r obviously not committed. I say pull the offer and offer someone worth recruiting. Taking a visit is one thing but some if this is a complete joke.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. In today's recruiting climate

Apr 5, 2013, 2:58 PM

committed means "interested". So many kids commit before they have explored their options, and then we as fans often get berated for criticizing the kid's commitment. If you're not ready to "commit" then don't "commit."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree. In today's recruiting climate

Apr 5, 2013, 3:03 PM

absolutely correct!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pull the offer?

Apr 5, 2013, 3:02 PM

Come on. He is #22 in the nation. Swallow the pride and keep pursuing the kid. It's a marathon til signing day, shouldn't be, but it is the way it is nowadays

Agreed. Make no mistake, most of these guys who "commit"

Apr 5, 2013, 3:50 PM

so early on aren't really committed at all - not even close. They say they are committed, and they may mean it at the time, but they aren't. I think that sucks. Unfortunately, these guys are being recruited earlier and earlier, and if you don't get in with them real early, you may have too much ground to make up later. If you don't extend an offer, and accept a "commitment" when it comes, you may miss your chance.

Also, consider what we are expecting from these kids, many of whom are really still children, and by virtue of their age and lack of real world eperience have no clue what "commitment" really is. As signing day nears, I would expect an 18-year old to honor his commitment. I do not expect a 15 or 16 year old who commits to still be commited 2 or 3 years later; they aren't even the same people by then. It's ridiculous.

I think recruiting has gotten way, way out of hand, and would be in favor of rules that prohibited any contact with high school kids before their junior year at the earliest.

In the mean time, why don't we come up with another word for it, as "commitment" just isn't accurate or fair in many cases.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Some good advice for these recruits about shopping around:

Apr 5, 2013, 3:03 PM

Don't try to get yourself a bargain son.
Don't be sold on the very first one.
Awesome schools come a dime a dozen,
Try to find one who's gonna give you true lovin'.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: If a recruit is gonna shop around

Apr 5, 2013, 3:05 PM

to these kids today their "commitment" means "they gona hold my scolly while I look around for better deal" they nor their parents place no real value on commitment because they have none...

if this ruffles ur feathers then if i were you i would quit

Apr 5, 2013, 3:11 PM

following recruiting. We've got 10 more months of this kind of stuff. You can't take it personal as a coach.You just need to have a good feel for these kids commitment level and i'm sure our coaches know the cues as to when someone is a no-go (i.e. elijah daniel). But you pull the offer from these high profile guys unless you just know. B/C they're going to be changing from week to week.

If you think this one is rough to take...wait until signing day with D. Watson....everyone is going to be gunning for his signature. If we underachieve this year i think he'll be a another flight risk. And if coach morris leaves..he's def. gone

Hey, I thought Dabo had a policy if you visit ... decommitt

Apr 5, 2013, 3:25 PM

That's what's been reported on this site and others numerious times. Either there's a policy about being committed and not visiting other programs or not. Can't have it both ways. Especially if it's a high profile player. It's just not right to the other committed recruits who are not doing this. Committed recruits like Deshaun Watson for one.

Re: Hey, I thought Dabo had a policy if you visit ... decommitt

Apr 5, 2013, 4:42 PM

I've heard that said here but I think it depends on who you are an how good you are

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hey, I thought Dabo had a policy if you visit ... decommitt

Apr 5, 2013, 4:50 PM

It would appear that way, 74. I hate to say it but it makes Dabo look foolish when he applies different standards to different players.....said it during the RN saga. If you're going to publicly take a firm stance on commits visiting elsewhere, you need to back it up.

Commits?

Apr 5, 2013, 3:52 PM

Have to say I agree with Paul Johnson's philosophy on this: if a "commit" is still taking visits and considering other schools, we should still be pursuing and recruiting other prospects for the same position. When the commit stops taking visits, we stop recruiting for the spot. It goes both ways.

I'm sure that's what we do.***

Apr 5, 2013, 3:53 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

And we see where his recruiting philosophy has taken GT!***

Apr 5, 2013, 4:01 PM [ in reply to Commits? ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Re: And we see where his recruiting philosophy has taken GT!***

Apr 5, 2013, 4:27 PM

i dont know about paul johnson at gt and his policy but is that not also dabos same policy word for word. except some guys it doesnt apply to if you are good enough, or in a word we dont really have a set in stone policy only in name.

If we have "commits" that ae still visiting other schools,

Apr 5, 2013, 4:51 PM

unless there is some special siuation or agreement between player and coach, then you can rest assured that we continue to pursue other players at those positions.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: If we have "commits" that ae still visiting other schools,

Apr 5, 2013, 4:54 PM

WE SURE SHOULD!!!

Dalvin Cook is one of the best RBs in the country though

Apr 5, 2013, 4:37 PM

I'd say it's worth sticking with him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dalvin Cook is one of the best RBs in the country though

Recruiting has become a rather disgusting operation, on all sides. Guys commit then change their mind at the last minute. Schools and coaches pursue guys who are committed to other schools. Schools pull offers at the last minute (Usuc). Just read where TN has sent over 150 letters to a recruit. Something has to be done or this will get further out of control.

All depends on how good they are...5* can do what they want

Apr 5, 2013, 4:47 PM

3* = less lenient. Supply and demand...whole lot less 5*'s than 3*'s in the market place.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All Nkemdiche wanted to do was visit his brother

of course it turned into a three year visit unfortunately

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That visit and his crazy #### mom...we were doomed from the

Apr 5, 2013, 5:10 PM

start...but was nice to be in the mix.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That visit and his crazy #### mom...we were doomed from the

Apr 5, 2013, 6:00 PM

lets be honest for once and put down the orange glasses. it is hypocritical to even say we have a policy when it is applied differently to different recruits. why even have a policy? just treat each recruit any way you want to like most all schools do, and not worry about looking bad. it really is getting stupid!

We can't determine when an offer should be pulled.

Apr 5, 2013, 10:33 PM

The University and our coaching staff are hamstrung when it comes to talking about a prospective recruit. We don't know the circumstances surrounding decommitments. It's just as likely that Dabo calls them up and tells them to decommit if they are going hoaring around.

The NCAA doesn't allow him to mention a recruit by name so he can't tell us what happened, or so I understand. If that's the truth then who is going to tell us we've pulled an offer? That's right, only the recruit can speak publically about it.

Do you honestly think a recruit is going to admit that a major university pulled an offer because he didn't keep an agreement with them to refuse other's visits? Have you ever heard a recruit report when and why he was shunned?

I wish you 'knowitall,' guys would sthu. You think you know everything and you torture the hail out of those of us who really do.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We can't determine when an offer should be pulled.

Apr 5, 2013, 10:57 PM

thanks football god, just dont read our stupid remarks. he can not comment on recruits who have not signed but thats why we have roy pisspot, david could, larry willaims, hickey plyler, and others to say what dabo tells them and get out what he cant report. this site and many outlets can do dabos dirty work, but make no mistake, dabos policy needs to be revisited, and made a less complicated one or either done away with.

The offer isn't going to be pulled, nor should it.

Apr 6, 2013, 11:12 AM

If he begins lying to the staff or doing things that we haven't been made aware of, then maybe we consider it. But were not going to pull a kid's offer simply because he's visiting another school, and apparently our staff is well aware of his plans.

Re: The offer isn't going to be pulled, nor should it.

Apr 6, 2013, 5:00 PM

What has happened in the past, when we know about it ahead of time it looks like it is OK, it's when a lie is told or no notice of a visit is given is when the de-commitment by our coaches has happened. That is the way I see it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HE is smart!******

Apr 6, 2013, 5:17 PM

Looks like we better start shopping soon...***

Apr 6, 2013, 5:31 PM

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic