Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If I'm a head coach and a prospect has a lawyer
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

If I'm a head coach and a prospect has a lawyer

May 23, 2018, 10:01 AM

announcing his visits, I'm saying, "Thanks but no thanks."

Not saying anything bad about the kid because I know next to nothing about him. But, this pattern of behavior is troubling for any potential team that lands him.

What happens when he's not happy at his next landing spot? Does his lawyer develop a new "narrative" as his reason for leaving?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If I'm a head coach and a prospect has a lawyer

May 23, 2018, 10:03 AM

If thats how its played imagine being Fruhmorgan or one of these other multi school transfer kids lawyer. You'd be swamped. Of course where does a kid in school "get money" to pay for those fees.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2018, 10:08 AM

It's not like the lawyer was building a criminal or civil case and spending long hours on this. He probably got paid a few hundred dollars to write a letter.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And of course if he was a

May 23, 2018, 10:12 AM

closet coot, he would it cooty non-gradis

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Re: ok this needs to go in the tnet dictionary

May 23, 2018, 10:50 AM

nm

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, this is a complete non-issue

May 23, 2018, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Re: If I'm a head coach and a prospect has a lawyer ]

Instead of potentially announcing it in an unprofessional (and possibly damaging) manner, he was smart and hired someone to write it cleanly.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all to me.

ed zackery!!!!!!***

May 23, 2018, 10:07 AM

May 23, 2018, 10:58 AM

The lawyer has NCAA violations written all over him

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

May 23, 2018, 10:59 AM

If you couldn’t handle shady recruits, you wouldn’t make it as a D1 coach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Disagree

May 23, 2018, 11:23 AM

The kid hires a lawyer to get himself out of a binding obligation by creating a narrative about a sick family member. That in and of itself is a bad precedent to be setting. But, if the issue is resolved, he did get his unconditional release, then why does he still need the lawyer? Lawyers aren't free.

By retaining the lawyer and having him involved in the ongoing recruitment you are stating that if I'm not happy at my next school, I already have a lawyer happy to do what it takes to get me released. In other words, the kid is saying to his next coach, I will be in charge of how things go and if you don't like that you will hear from my lawyer.

A second possibility is the kid and the lawyer already know there are some sticky NCAA issues that are going to come up and the lawyer is necessary to navigate those issues. Either way as a coach, I want no part.

I know you are viewing this as a win for USC but it is a very bad precedent for college football. If it is bad for college football, it will eventually be bad for USC, you can count on it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Disagree

May 23, 2018, 11:34 AM

I’m not counting it as anything because I thought the kid was overrated in high school is probably a bust anyway.

I just don’t share your same concerns this is going to ruin college football. Considering these kids are already getting paid under the table this falls pretty low on the list of things damaging college football.

What are you wanting to do? Hold the kid hostage because he doesn’t want to play at your school? His lawyer is irrelevant to me. If he comes to USC and in six months decides he wants to go somewhere else, let him go.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ok, so let's play this out

May 23, 2018, 11:46 AM

Once these kids that already believe they are superstars get somewhere and realize they are going to have to work for it to be the superstar so they want to find someplace where it will be easy. So five or so recruits decide they should be able to leave without penalty and go where they want.

Choices have consequences. You made a commitment and as a result a school made a commitment to you. Then these five guys decide they want out. Now the school is down five players they can't regain until the next recruiting cycle.

I have no problem with a kid wanting to leave. What I have a problem with is utilizing a lawyer to leverage a story to wipe away the consequences of your actions. If the player in question had gone to Dabo and said, "Look this is not what I thought, I made a mistake and want to transfer. However, I realize I made a commitment to you and you made one to me and breaking that costs you something. So I realize that there will be conditions placed on my release." In that scenario the kid is taking some responsibility. In the current one he is taking none.

This is why coaches accross college football are against the NCAA allowing unrestricted transfering.

I can't agree

May 23, 2018, 12:00 PM

1st.. Belk lawyer only sent a notice
Dabo didn't have to do anything, he could simply tell the lawyer to pound sand. Stop thinking a million dollar coach is the victim in this situation. Stop thinking dabo was forced into anything. If dabo can simply let this kid move on, we should be able to.

If your son ended up at a school , was miserable, stuck it or for a semester and still wanted to leave, would you force him to? Would you force him to stay at a place he wasnt happy? Force him to spend those glorious college years in misery?

Or, would you do everything you could to get him some where else?

Belk came in. Practiced, Went to school , followed the rules, and did every thing he was supposed to do. He still wasn't happy
He spent a semester at school.

If he violated some rule, report it to the ncca.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Ok, so let's play this out

May 23, 2018, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Ok, so let's play this out ]

You’re looking at this from a very one sided perspective.

You’re looking to punish a kid for making a bad decision when he’s likely 17 or 18 years old. Yeah it sucks for the coaches but they’re the adults in the situation that are making promises and pressuring kids to commit to their schools.

Maybe the kid just didn’t like living in Clemson. Maybe the coaches misled him. Maybe he just wants to make another mistake.

He shouldn’t be punished for that.

May 23, 2018, 11:27 AM

So you know "next to nothing about this kid," but his "pattern of behavior" should be troubling to other teams? Because he had a lawyer write a letter for him? And why shouldn't a kid be able to leave a place where he's not happy? Do you just stay in places that make you unhappy? Please don't take this personally, but that seems pretty stupid.

Knowing that I pull for the same team that you do makes me sad.

I'm sorry we don't see comittment in at all the same light.***

May 23, 2018, 11:28 AM

You didn't answer his question..

May 23, 2018, 12:25 PM

Coaches get paid millions to honor their commitments. They get paid to be where they are.
.and they can up and leave whenever.

These are just kids...most end up quite content at the school they choose.

Few dont. I really don't see this being as common as you do.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Yes, But

May 23, 2018, 11:32 AM

we're talking the University of South Carolina here.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic