Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do we need a "gimmick" for Clemson to succeed in Bball?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Do we need a "gimmick" for Clemson to succeed in Bball?

Mar 15, 2017, 9:06 AM

knowing that regardless of who the coach is we are NOT going to consistently pull in "top notch" basketball talent do we need something to "level the playing field"? (and i'm not talking about the Oakland game, just across the board in general)

much like navy in football

much like Purnell when he was here

It is a tough call imo regarding Brownell b/c by most accounts across the country he's regarded as a "good coach".......that being said the "FIT" may not be what clemson needs considering the disadvantages we face in basketball (mainly recruiting). Purnell came in and completely changed our identity and energized the fanbase and while toward the end he did catch flack for his pressing style he did get us to 4 straight tourneys.

just my thoughts

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Be careful with that phrase around DRad. He hired Johnson

Mar 15, 2017, 9:11 AM

at Georgia Tech and their football program is dying a slow and excruciatingly painful death.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think GT football needed a "gimmick" though.......

Mar 15, 2017, 9:25 AM

they were winning 7-8 games BEFORE the triple option

a program like Wake forest would probably benefit from a paul johnson type offense.

living here in Georgia they absolutely needed a gimick

Mar 15, 2017, 11:18 AM

in order to be able to win....they aren't even on the radar locally. They can't get kids to come to GT that Clemson/GA/Bama can...their limited majors hurts them....their location hurts them. The kids going to Tech wouldn't be considered at Clemson outside of a handful.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't GT just win the Orange Bowl two years ago?

Mar 15, 2017, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Be careful with that phrase around DRad. He hired Johnson ]

And go 9-4 and beat an SEC team in a bowl this past year? Sure they had a down year in 15-16 but not sure how you characterize it as a dying program.

Re: Do we need a "gimmick" for Clemson to succeed in Bball?

Mar 15, 2017, 9:13 AM

I don't think it is as much a gimmick as something schematically that is new or different. Just like Chad Morris' offense something new can be the great equalizer. The difference between that and a "gimmick" is it is a part of the scheme not a fundamental shift like the press or triple option. When you make a shift it becomes hard to recruit talent which is a problem OP was quickly beginning to face. Now the key is to win while the opposition adjust to your change and improve as talent is drawn to the winning.

null

Maybe Brad can wrestle a bear at halftime next year?*****

Mar 15, 2017, 9:15 AM

Re: Maybe Brad can wrestle a bear at halftime next year?*****

Mar 15, 2017, 10:18 AM

I think that's a fantastic idea. Would be entertaining and give the fans something to cheer about.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Just trying to helpful here********

Mar 15, 2017, 11:55 AM

yes

Mar 15, 2017, 9:31 AM

we convert Littlejohn to a Slamball court.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^this***

Mar 15, 2017, 10:51 AM

^^^^this***

Mar 15, 2017, 10:51 AM [ in reply to yes ]

Yes. We can't get the elite skill guys

Mar 15, 2017, 9:39 AM

We have to rely on athletes. We can't? try to beat these guys at their game, we just can't do it. That's why OP was so successful. Organized chaos forced them to play our game? and punished the skill. We need more of that.

I wouldn't call it gimmick as much as contrarian

Mar 15, 2017, 9:52 AM

I think the style OP had gave us something unique, and something easier to recruit to. Sit in any gym in the summer during AAU season and you'll find kind playing at fast paced, 94 feet game. Look no more than with Zion Williamson. He sells out arenas not because he's a good 3 point shooter (which he is), but because of the highlight reel dunks, steals and block shots. It's fun to watch, and easy to recruit to. Basketball purists don't like it, but it what it is.

Re: Do we need a "gimmick" for Clemson to succeed in Bball?

Mar 15, 2017, 9:45 AM

Call it a gimmick if you want, but bringing Shaka home and running his Havoc system is our best bet. I think with Smart and Havoc we will consistently be a tournament team in the 6-11 range.

Texas is having extreme buyers remorse with Shaka, so let's go get him

If Florida State can do it, we can do it***

Mar 15, 2017, 10:12 AM

Whatever..Gut eR Done

Mar 15, 2017, 10:20 AM

SOON!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Im thinking underhand free throws might be the trick!

Mar 15, 2017, 10:47 AM

nm

We need to either make a splash with perhaps a well known

Mar 15, 2017, 11:12 AM

but unproven guy like a Doug Gottlieb (who wanted the Ok State job last year and would certainly get us on the front page of the sports websites) or we need to hire a young guy with energy and contagious enthusiasm to bring life to the program. Either way, what do we have to lose? Another NIT or CBI bid?

Run a background check on Doug Gottlieb

Mar 15, 2017, 11:14 AM

and get back to us.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I didn't see Purnell's style as a gimmick so much that it

Mar 15, 2017, 11:19 AM

was his system. Arkansas rode that system to a national title over Duke back in the day. They still play that system today. They find the kids who are good fits in that system and they win and get to the tournament most years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic