Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I wonder if they are believers now?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

I wonder if they are believers now?

Dec 21, 2017, 8:50 PM

"Goldfarb and Wright operate Risk Point Consulting Group in Marietta, Georgia. Last year, they brokered an insurance policy for the Clemson athletic department that covered the performance bonuses coaches earned through incentive clauses in their contracts.

The policy premium cost Clemson approximately $272,000. It capped the department’s total payout for bonuses at $2 million. Clemson coaches led the Tigers to the national championship and maximized their bonus packages. According to Clemson deputy director of athletics Graham Neff, the policy saved the department $1.3 million.

Prior to this season, administrators requested a quote on a similar policy. Considering the team lost its brightest stars and strongest leaders, Clemson dropped in most preseason projections — except for the one Goldfarb and Wright submitted to the athletic department.

“The rates at which they quoted us were basically the same as last year,” Neff said. “It surprised us a little.”

The athletic department did not share Risk Point’s confidence. After assessing the potential reward against the budgetary risk, administrators elected to decline the policy this season..."

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2017/12/21/football-coaching-staff-bonus-insurance-saved-clemson-did-not-renew-insurance-policy-football-coachi/972753001/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Somebody’s gonna get fired.

Dec 21, 2017, 8:54 PM

??

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, but they probably own the policies for about 30 different coaches.

Dec 21, 2017, 8:57 PM

Only a couple will pay out. Insurance ain’t in the business to lose money. But they sure look good when they pay out occasionally.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you sober?

Dec 21, 2017, 9:02 PM

You only have trouble keeping up with a conversation when you're sober. Knock a couple back and let's take this up later.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Listen man, I don’t show up on a Sunday weekplight as a sober sabastion.

Dec 21, 2017, 10:04 PM

But yes, I was sober earlier and missed the entire part where they passed on the policy.

So, the truth is that you got sober and...

Dec 22, 2017, 6:03 AM

stumbled into the mange?

Nationwide is on your side. Not theirs. Isn't that nice?***

Dec 21, 2017, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Yeah, but they probably own the policies for about 30 different coaches. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: I wonder if they are believers now?

Dec 21, 2017, 9:03 PM

Very interesting read. Tiger administration probably thought they were trying to recover their losses from last years payout.

Are you at 7spots?

Dec 21, 2017, 9:13 PM

Let me outline this.
1. Clemson bought insurance to cover potential bonus payouts for winning last year.
2. When they asked for a price for the same insurance this season the brokers came back with the same numbers indicating they believed that Clemson had the same potential as last year to succeed.
3. Clemson administration didn't agree and passed on the insurance.
4. Clemson football is now in the same position it was last year with an even bigger chance of winning the national championship.

The coaches questioned the administration's decision to pass on the insurance and everybody had a big laugh. The coaches admitted they didn't think we'd be where we are and the administration stated they'd be happy to pay the bonuses and wanted Clemson to win.

Recap: Millions of dollars shot up a pig's butt and we're all laughing.

Now pass 7spots a beer so he can laugh too.

They've probably only earned about half of their maximum

Dec 22, 2017, 8:56 AM

bonuses at this point. I doubt they've reached the 2M cap where the insurance policy would've started to pay. At this point though i would imagine they will gladly take the hit and pay the 1M+ in bonuses in exchange for a 2nd straight title.

That's a really tough position to be in.. making that kind of financial decision where you have to attempt to think with your head and not your heart. Objectively, it's hard to blame them for making that decision.

Everybody laughed about the decision because...

Dec 22, 2017, 9:19 AM

we all would probably have done the same thing. The point was that all of us are delighted to know our hearts were right so far and we're all hoping our logic is messed up so badly our pocketbook suffers even more.

There are so few times in life when financial decisions made by the heart turn out right. This situation is poetic and fit for a Disney musical.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic