Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Qweshion for the coffee snobs.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 466

Qweshion for the coffee snobs.

Apr 9, 2020, 3:59 PM

I grind mah beans each day, but I have to confess to using a drip maker. I like that with just a little effort I can have multiple cups of coffee, but I realize I could be making better joe if I wanted to.

So drip maker is at end of life. I’m game to try something new, but I like the ritual of sitting through a couple cups worth while I read the news, so I don’t want a small serving like espresso. I also don’t want a ton more work than I’m doing now, so if there’s an alternate method that can make 2+ servings at a time, I’m game. Lastly, I can get another drip maker for $50, so I don’t want to go much more than $100-150, but the coffee flavor’s gotta be better. No need for a beautiful $1200 steel and copper machine that looks like something Alexander Calder has in MOMA.

I’ve seen aeropress (looks like work for 2+ cups), softbrew (can’t figure out what’s so great about it honestly), Moka pot (too small a serving), etc.......what you guys got?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have you tried just a french press?***

Apr 9, 2020, 4:00 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What do you do with your grounds?***

Apr 9, 2020, 4:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Trash, I usually just make a pot with the drip maker...

Apr 9, 2020, 4:28 PM

But I do have a french press for times when I feel like spending more time making coffee.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Press or nothing.***

Apr 9, 2020, 4:00 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you don't drink bland, bitter, burnt gas station

Apr 9, 2020, 4:03 PM

coffee, are you even trying to be a man?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you're already grinding your beans, assuming you have a

Apr 9, 2020, 4:03 PM

burr grinder because it's best for consistent coarse grounded beans, I would go with a french press.

If you're making 2+ servings to be served right away: https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Chambord-French-Coffee-Chrome/dp/B00005LM0T

If you're making 2+ servings for yourself and you still want it hot for the second serving: https://www.amazon.com/BAYKA-French-Double-Wall-Filtration-Dishwasher/dp/B07VFDY7CG/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

solid. second one might be it. thanks***

Apr 9, 2020, 9:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hmmm....yeah, that 2nd one looks interdasting

Apr 10, 2020, 12:15 PM [ in reply to If you're already grinding your beans, assuming you have a ]

solves the 2 probs with mine....it's just not big enough for 2 DGUAR sized cups of coffee, as mentioned somewhere below...and usually what's actually left for a 2nd cup has cooled off a good bit by the time I get to it...

It's just slightly more annoying to clean. Glass one you can

Apr 10, 2020, 2:37 PM

pull apart and throw in dishwasher. Double walled you *shouldn't* put in the dishwasher.

I like my aeropress

Apr 9, 2020, 4:07 PM

But if you don’t roast your own beans once a week you might as well get a kurig

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/WHY-ROAST-YOUR-OWN-COFFEE-W38.aspx

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Yeah i only do one cup a morning now.

Apr 9, 2020, 4:11 PM

So Keurig it is. Butt press is so good.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What year is this? Keurig only but great coffee:

Apr 9, 2020, 4:11 PM

https://www.cafebustelo.com/en

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Publix never does the sale on those cups.

Apr 9, 2020, 4:14 PM

been years

that stuff is cheap as mud in the vacuum seal pack

Apr 9, 2020, 4:24 PM [ in reply to What year is this? Keurig only but great coffee: ]

You can get a 4-pack for like 6 bucks or something at Sam's. It's also pretty good in the fill it yourself filter that comes with the Keurig since it's espresso grind.

I have a Keurig. FTS.***

Apr 9, 2020, 9:48 PM [ in reply to What year is this? Keurig only but great coffee: ]

Re: Qweshion for the coffee snobs.

Apr 9, 2020, 4:20 PM

I like muh coffee. I have several different methods. Press is good...if you have the time and inclination. I have hand grinder, electric grinder, keurigs (4 counting at work), various electrics. It has always amazed me how changing just one component of the brew will have far different results in taste. Grind, temp, speed of drip, water, all have a big part. I even use Folgers bags when I'm camping and they are fine by me. The important ingredient is CAFFEINE! So, like TP, it's important to keep a year's supply at all times. Put a little Irish Creme in it and most methods are acceptable.

I equate it a little to cigars in that I love the aroma of the beans and the taste of chewing on a good cigar. Smoking a cigar is good for getting rid of the gnats around your head. Drinking coffee in the morning is necessary for good firing of the synapses and a good bowel movement. Not the best comparison but it's subject to each ones personal preferences...and ones susceptibility to addiction.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best cup I ever had was a French Press at...

Apr 9, 2020, 4:22 PM

The Porter Beer bar. lol

Re: Qweshion for the coffee snobs.

Apr 9, 2020, 4:22 PM

I would go with a french press. I've never used one but I think you could get multiple cups from a chemex and they are supposed to make excellent coffee.

I usually drink 2-3 cups a day

Apr 9, 2020, 4:28 PM

Regular sized. But we have a Keurig and it has spoiled me. You can set the cup size, and it even has a button for slower dripping, so stronger coffee. Wife drinks 1-2 MASSIVE cups of decaff a day too. It has never run out of water in a single day. Just refill it every evening and good to go. Auto turns on at 6am, so I don't have to wait for it to warm up even.

Used to drink Pete's Major Dickason's Blend. Now alternate between these:

https://www.keurig.com/Beverages/Dark-Roast/Espresso-Style-Coffee/p/espresso-style-coffee-cafe-bustelo-k-cup:24_CT

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this.

Apr 9, 2020, 4:58 PM

makes 1-14 cups, bold setting, 1-4 cup setting, settings for how long the warmer stays on and how hot it gets. I started with the earliest version, this is my 3rd. They've improved it along the way.

I grind Starbucks house blend from Sam's, drink about 3 cups a day. You really want want that gets hot enough to make coffee correctly, then not cook it to death. Last I looked, Consumer Reports ranks it high.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DCC-3400-Stainless-Thermal-Coffeemaker/dp/B00MVWGQX0/ref=sr_1_6?crid=4PXN5QABTRR&dchild=1&keywords=cuisinart%2Bcoffee%2Bmakers&qid=1586465513&sprefix=cuisinart%2Caps%2C454&sr=8-6&th=1

Message was edited by: NoIntroduction®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SoClose

Apr 9, 2020, 6:17 PM

got this, but w/ the stainless thermal carafe...same features u mention (including the Starbucks house blend, but from Costco)..'cept it has the grinfer built-in

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-Automatic-Coffeemaker-Charcoal-Filter/dp/B0091GXAYC/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=cuisinart%2Bcoffee%2Bmakers+burr+grinder&qid=1586470383&sr=8-14

Coffee? *****

Apr 9, 2020, 5:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

get yourself a percolator.

Apr 9, 2020, 5:09 PM

Make even Great Value coffee beans taste good.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a problem with snobs in general

Apr 9, 2020, 5:22 PM

It's ####### coffee. brew it, pour it in cup, drink it, take ####, dominate world. costco coffee, both ground and bean, put in a cuisinart maker does all you want.

beer snobs, whiskey snobs, poontang snobs - y'all are all stuck up your own ###. it's all good, some is just better than others

only thing worth being a snob about is airlines. Delta or gtfo.

Are you a FBCoach scok? Cause you sound poor AF.

Apr 9, 2020, 6:12 PM

Delta...lol. Emirates all the way, and ONLY a first class suite. That’s how I travel to visit my business interests in Dubai, and I have to wonder why anyone else would settle for less.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL....commercial airlines.

Apr 9, 2020, 9:54 PM

How bourgeois.

I's gots a combo grinder/drip maker...my daily driver

Apr 9, 2020, 6:10 PM

Nespresso Vertuoline

and a French Press.

French press makes the best tasting coffee out of the 3, and while it says it makes 2 cups, they're 2 wimpy cups...

Nespresso is cool for those one cup, or espresso, needs...but taint cheap (i mean, cheaper than starbucks)

I LOVE/NEED coffee - would drop alcohol over coffee without giving it a second thought if the doc said i had to quit one - but I don't really consider myself a snob about it. Therefore, the convenience (and QUANTITY made) of the drip maker makes it our clear #1

that said, it took 3 weeks of working from home (and a mini tornado laste night at 4:30 that kep me awake) to realize i didn't need the automatic timer to be set at 5:55am anymore....

Inquiring minds want to know

Apr 9, 2020, 6:15 PM

Did you opt for Nespresso before or after George Clooney and Natalie Dormer starred in their commercial?

didn't opt for it at all...and commercial? what's that?

Apr 9, 2020, 6:19 PM

it was an un-asked for gift (3 years ago?) from BiL...that's cost us hundreds in coffee pods

Much solid advice in this thread...thanks all.***

Apr 9, 2020, 9:55 PM

Replies: 30
| visibility 466
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic