Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I think Dabo has been a pretty good head coach, but
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 880

I think Dabo has been a pretty good head coach, but

Dec 2, 2013, 5:48 PM

he has had to go up against one of the best CFB coaches of all time. I don't like much about Spurrier, but if you'd asked me who the best coach in CFB was 12-13 years ago, I would have said him and would not have even hesitated.

I do think defenses have caught up to his schemes to some extent, but he's a little wiser than he was back then and more flexible in his approach. Dabo had more talent(credit goes to him) than all but 3 teams this year. Winning games against teams with comparable talent takes coaching acumen, and to be frank, Dabo against Spurrier in this regard isn't a fair fight, but the same could be said for a lot of other good coaches. My problem with hiring Dabo was that we needed someone with a little more experience rather than breaking in someone against a legend. So here we sit with the inevitable result of that decision, and we shouldn't be surprised. I don't think you can say he was a bad hire but I do think you can say it wasn't fair to expect him to match wits with Spurrier. And I am not coot by the way. Just calling it like I see it. I was against the Dabo hire before it happened.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

spurrier is not the fun n gun coach of those times. he's

Dec 2, 2013, 5:51 PM

changed. he'll laugh at you if you suggest he is. he did it to a reporter recently.

probably the most brilliant thing he's ever done.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spurrier's comments

Dec 2, 2013, 6:06 PM

after each Clemson loss support your post. He always says something like..."Clemson is a very good team....they just don't seem to play very well against us!" On the surface that seems like a compliment. But, to your point, I believe what Spur is laughing about with his sarcasm is that he out gameplan's Dabo each and every time. We have tried to explain the losses in lots of different ways, but I think the bottom line is Spur takes what he has and makes more with it than Dabo. That's why he has succeeded at Duke, Florida and USC. Urban Meyer, Saban and now Malzone category.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Spurrier's comments

Dec 2, 2013, 6:10 PM

Right, how can he add much to the game planning/adjustments when he was never even a coordinator? Most CEOs don't move there straight from the mail room. We keep seeing the same thing every year which tells me something is amiss. I say the difference is largely coaching. UT beat USC in Butch Jones first year. Vandy and Ky gave them as much of a game as we did. Let that sink in.

Dabo

Dec 2, 2013, 6:22 PM

Didn't throw not one single interception Saturday night.He also didn't fumble one ball. To blame him is absolutely ludicrous! If not for the two fumbled punts, which by the way, Dabo had nothing to do with either, the outcome of this game would have been very different. Our coaches put our boys in position to win. People blaming them and their so called lack of experience is ####### ridiculous!

Re: Dabo

Dec 2, 2013, 7:24 PM

The first fumble was caused by Bryant interfering with our return man. Special teams coordination is something some coaches focus on, others do not....see Beamer ball. As far as the balls getting knocked out of peoples hands....who knows, maybe USC spotted a tendency on how our guys carry the ball. Remember we fumbled/got the ball knocked out on the first play with FSU. As far as the picks....well, that's just Tajh when he starts rushing and forcing things. But there again, why not take the check down guy and get 5 yards. He doesn't get happy feet...he gets happy hands. But...coaching over months and in Tajh's case years, should help the player grow away from bad tendencies. Is Tajh any better at the end of this season than he was at the end of last season? Usually it's coaching, coaching, coaching. Latest example...see Auburn.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 schools. Both went looking for a new head coach.

Dec 2, 2013, 6:30 PM

One got "one of the best CFB coaches of all time." The other promoted a position coach. You're right, none of us should be surprised with the outcome.

Replies: 6
| visibility 880
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic