Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I think BB might be a good coach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

I think BB might be a good coach

Jan 27, 2014, 8:49 AM

But so far he has been a failure here at Clemson.

When was his best teams? When he had OP players.....

What's the problem? Recruiting..... its taken a big plunge.

These are all just facts. No need to get upset and scream and call each other coots....these are just facts.

What can we do? Hire Greg Marshall.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bruce Pearl

Jan 27, 2014, 8:51 AM

He becomes available at the end of the season.

A dynamic personality, good recruiter.

Go get him, D Rad.

The man can coach

Jan 27, 2014, 8:53 AM

But he has a reputation for being pretty slimy. I think we can do better than that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

and if they blood sucking lawyer thinks pearl's slimy...

Jan 27, 2014, 8:54 AM

i pass.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The man can coach

Jan 27, 2014, 8:54 AM [ in reply to The man can coach ]

amen. my thought exactly

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People love throwing around Marshall's name

Jan 27, 2014, 8:52 AM

What makes you think he would want to coach at Clemson?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Exactly, he has a good thing going at a basketball school***

Jan 27, 2014, 8:54 AM

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wichita State a basketball school ?!?!?!

Jan 27, 2014, 9:35 AM

I'm not sure I would have categorized Wichita State as a basketball school until after they hired Gregg Marshall and he turned them into a basketball school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Wichita St. had 8 NCAA appearances, 3 Sweet 16, 2 Elite 8 &

Jan 27, 2014, 9:47 AM

a Final 4 prior to Gregg Marshall's arrival. It now has its second Final 4. The city of Wichita and the whole state of Kansas is hoops-crazy. Marshall will eventually leave Wichita but it will be for an elite program (Kansas, UCLA, Indiana, Kentucky, UNC, Duke). Clemson and S Car had their opportunities to get him and passed. He ain't never going back to his old state.

Prior to 2012...

Jan 27, 2014, 10:20 AM

Wichita State has not made it to the NCAA Tournament since 2006. Prior to 2006, the schools last NCAA Tournament appearance was eighteen (18) years earlier in 1988. Prior to last year when they made it to the Final Four, their last appearance in the Final Four was in 1965.

I think it is fair to say that Wichita State was once a basketball school (mostly in the 1980's) but they certainly had not done much in recent history until after Gregg Marshall arrived.

In fact, since 1988 Clemson has more NCAA Tournament appearances (8) than Wichita State (3).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When I read a school is a "basketball school", to me, that

Jan 27, 2014, 10:22 AM

implies that they care more about basketball than any other sport...not necessarily that they're good at it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I have always viewed Wichita State as a baseball school

Jan 27, 2014, 10:31 AM

Conference Championships - 20

Conference Tournament Championships - 18

NCAA Tournament appearances - 28

College World Series appearances - 7

College World Series Runner-up - 3

National Championships - 1

Yes it is a basketball school / community

Jan 27, 2014, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Wichita State a basketball school ?!?!?! ]

He has elevated it to another level the last few years.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

greg will be able to pick his school imo

Jan 27, 2014, 8:52 AM

So that would leave us out

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BB King???

Jan 27, 2014, 8:53 AM

something, something, "the thrill is gone"? :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

response...

Jan 27, 2014, 8:55 AM

he did more with the 1 year that he had OP's players than OP did.
He also developed Bobo Baicu when he was an afterthought in OP's system.

i was an op fan, but OP took athletes and played an up and down game. brownell takes bball players who are 2 and 3 star players and develops them... which takes time.

so far we have made 1 NCAA tournament, and made it to the second round. 2 seasons have been a little down, but they were rebuilding years that were riddled with injuries and transfers.

we are 4-3 in the conference with 2 road wins and a win over top 20 Duke.

if i would have told you this would be our fate in november, everyone would be happy with that so far.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If I had told you" game works in hindsight, but not on Tnet

Jan 27, 2014, 9:16 AM

It will take something unexpected and probably a dedication to spending some serious cash on the basketball program to make Clemson a yearly relevant team in basketball.

I'm glad we are at 4-3 in the conference, but unless things change I don't really consider us to be much beyond an average to slightly above average team.

A trip to the NIT is probably a reasonable hope for this group.

Yep, has and offense that requires shooters, but can't sign any

Jan 27, 2014, 9:01 AM

Still, some folks on here don't want facts, they just scream "coot" when you have a critical comment. A big reason I don't comment on the wins is I'm usually at the home games, which we have won more often than not his year.

Of course you come back after 2 losses***

Jan 27, 2014, 9:04 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: Yep, has and offense that requires shooters, but can't sign any

Jan 27, 2014, 11:20 AM [ in reply to Yep, has and offense that requires shooters, but can't sign any ]

you may want to check out the recruits coming in next year.

A small forward, Donte Grantham, who is at Hargrave. Averaged 18.3 ppg and 9.1 rebounds his sr yr of high school. Was WV's high school player of the year. Also a top 100 player.

Also, Gabe Devoe, a top 12 point guard in the nation and is a top 100 player. Jr year averaged 20 ppg, 7 rebounds, 5 assist. He is from a 2A school, but got 27 pts against the 4A undefeated champs in NC in a multi school scrimmage. Scored 45 against another team. Also has a 4.4 GPA. The 4A coach said he would not play against anyone better than Devoe.

IMO, that is shooters coming in for next year.

BB is a good coach....

Jan 27, 2014, 9:01 AM

but he can't put the ball in the basket for his players.

Re: BB is a good coach....true - what bothered me

Jan 27, 2014, 9:03 AM

was there didnt seem to be much defensive intensity yesterday

No question...we did not play very well defensively either

Jan 27, 2014, 9:22 AM

and when we are not shooting the ball well, in order to stay in games, we have to be good defensively.

The problem is, teams like FSU, Pitt and UNC create match-up problems for us. We just can't play with their bigger more physical guys especially in the frontcourt.

Re: I think BB might be a good coach

Jan 27, 2014, 9:18 AM

> But so far he has been a failure here at Clemson.
>
> When was his best teams? When he had OP players.....
>
> What's the problem? Recruiting..... its taken a big
> plunge.
>
> These are all just facts. No need to get upset and
> scream and call each other coots....these are just
> facts.
>
> What can we do? Hire Greg Marshall.

No way do we hire that slime ball Marshall.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I sure would be interested in hearing....

Jan 27, 2014, 9:29 AM

why you think Gregg Marshall is a "slime ball".

I have known Gregg Marshall personally for nearly forty-three years and while I have heard people refer to him in a variety of ways, "slime ball" has never been one of them.

Re: I think BB might be a good coach

Jan 27, 2014, 9:37 AM

BB teaches defense. And that keeps us in some games.

As opposed to wake and GT who only care about offense yet suck at it. They look worse but get similar end results.

The last few games it appears our defense is broken and that is very bad. UNC could have hit 100 last night if they wanted.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think he ought to start the ones who played the best last

Jan 27, 2014, 10:09 AM

Filer, K.J.(he was double-teamed), Hall (less driving and putting up more threes), Djambo, and the Big Center!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Marshall is waiting on the coot gig..

Jan 27, 2014, 10:50 AM

and may get in next couple of years. He has turned down offers from NC State and Nebraska. He has said publicly the only way he would leave Wichita St is if a big basketball conference came calling. Well, Nc St is in a conference like that and he turned them down. And didnt he take Wichita St to elite 8 last year?

IMO, he would not go to ACC simply because he knows he would have so much competition.

He is a chicken since birth and his blood runs garnet.

Marshall took Witch. St to the final 4 last year.***

Jan 27, 2014, 11:12 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thanks, for some reason I thought elite 8***

Jan 27, 2014, 11:21 AM

Recruiting has not taken a big plunge.

Jan 27, 2014, 12:35 PM

This is a myth about Brownell that keeps getting perpetuated. He is not a bad recruiter. Basketball recruiting is bit at all like football recruiting. Brownell's recruiting is on par with Purnell's. And it seems to be getting better.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Also unlike football, one or two great players can have

Jan 27, 2014, 1:05 PM

a tremendous impact and hopefully the 2 enrolling in the fall will address the offense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have no shot at Marshall now. Mayyybe when he was

Jan 27, 2014, 1:09 PM

still at Winthrop, but certainly not now. He's almost at the Brad Stevens level right now where he can get practically any job he wants when he decides to move on.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic