Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SPAM
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

SPAM

May 3, 2018, 3:27 PM

No, this is not the spam we often find on our computers, it's the kind we find in grocery stores all around the world with the Hormel Foods label. Since it first found its way to grocery store shelves in 1937, the number of tins sold since that date, if placed end to end, would circle the globe several times. Way back in 2012 the eighth billion can of SPAM was sold.

During World War 2, I do believe the Military purchased every can of SPAM Hormel produced. After a few meals with SPAM, even the old "K" ration was a welcome relief. I was convinced that one-half of the recipes in the Army cook book were different recipes to disguise SPAM so that we would think it was really something entirely different. We were very fortunate because we had some excellent cooks in the 3125th Signal Service Company, but, bless there hearts, they tried with all their skills to find a recipe that would elicit requests from our company members for a second helping. It never happened.

We had plain SPAM. We had fried SPAM. We had SPAM glazed with all sorts of sauces. WE had SPAM with unknown spices. Even when it was camouflaged with every conceivable food element known to mankind, it was still SPAM. Surely, there must have been someone who had convinced those in food procurement that, if given often enough and long enough, they would come to the conclusion we would like it.

Now, to be honest and give credit where credit is due, I was never aware of anyone dying or even going bald after eating SPAM, so, from that standpoint, it appeared to be safe for consumption. When someone remarked they were so hungry they could eat SPAM, we knew they were on the verge of starvation. Very much to our surprise, once in while we heard someone say SPAM wasn't so bad. That confession alone, led us to believe he was on the verge of a nervous breakdown, or he had developed some rare disease, definitely a valid reason to avoid close contact. When we were preparing to come home after the war one comment was on the lips of 99.9% of the men. "when I get home, I'm never ever going to let a can of SPAM enter my home".

On Sept. 3, 1947, I married the girl of my dreams. I asked the officiating Ministerif he would add one question in our vows. "Mary Lynn will you honor the request of your soon to be husband, Joe21, that you will never serve him SPAM"? And her tresponse was "I will". And to the best of my knowledge I have never had one bite of SPAM since my Army days.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SPAM

May 3, 2018, 3:34 PM

I have heard the same attitude was taken for SOS.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2018, 3:36 PM

Mr. Joe, have you ever considered frying up a batch (or some other method of disguising) just for old time's sake?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2018, 3:55 PM

:)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2018, 5:40 PM

At your age..i am in awe that you have any arteries to clog after eating those entrails...you are the poster child that the 2 sociologists debated in the 3 Stooges skit on "what is more important, heredity or environment"..obviously heredity wins...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2018, 5:47 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

May 3, 2018, 6:34 PM

was surprised when visiting Hawaii a few years back "" every store,shop,roadside stand,ect, we went into, had SPAM on the shelf,for sale"" -- two things the Hawaiians love are SPAM & POI

I love a good Spam sandwich !!!_______but they can have that other stuff (Poi ) !!!

May 3, 2018, 7:08 PM

My father was in the Army Air Corp in the war based in India and China. I grew up in a Spam-free house. I never got to try it until I was grown and out of the house- when I did, I liked it but not as regular fare.

Before cholesterol became an issue for me, I'd eat eggs about five times a week. About once a month or so, Spam and eggs made a refreshing change. Still does though now I'm on eggs about five times a month and the Spam break only happens yearly.

Too much of any distinctive taste will kill it for you and the intolerance for even the smell can last a lifetime- the exception to this rule is bacon.

I take you don't eat McDonald's McRibs...

May 3, 2018, 8:04 PM

Nothing more than grilled Spam with cheap barbecue sauce on a bun.

May 3, 2018, 8:13 PM

Our Company Commander decreed that there would be no SOS on our menu in Europe and there was none. I don't remember the substitute but our cooks could make any item of food taste better with the exception of SPAM.

Sometimes I've had the urge to buy a tin of SPAM and keep it in plain view to remind me of those days from long ago. My daughter came in a few minutes ago and read my post. She remarked about the people in Hawaii eating so much SPAM and reminded me she had never seen a tin of SPAM in our home in her 68 years.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2018, 9:04 PM

Never had spam during my 4 years in the AF, however each of the three bases where I was assigned served SOS. Have never eaten it. Couldn't get past its appearance. Looks like someone barfed on the bread. However all the other food served in each location was very good. Gained 20 pounds during basic at Lackland. First time in my life eating 3 meals a day. Uniforms fit like they had been tailored. Midnight chow in Berlin was my favorite. A must have before doing mid shifts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

"Excellent cooks"? Joe, while in the jungles of Nam

May 3, 2018, 9:23 PM

we would have killed (no pun intended) for a can of Spam. The C-rations had the Ham-and Shrapnel (potatoes - in the same can) that was pretty much inedible. I think I saw an actual cook around 10 times in 8 months. Had a really good omelet on Hill 4-11 though (Google that base for a glimpse of what I saw there).

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic