Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I know there’s an argument for and against the wall but
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

I know there’s an argument for and against the wall but

Jan 25, 2019, 1:18 PM

I see the wall as more of a deterrent. It would be hard to decipher a weakness in a “smart wall” would it not? And if you’re desperate, what deterrent is an invisible wall? Does anyone have info on the effectiveness of the wall vs no wall vs a ‘smart wall?’

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So here's my deep thoughts on the topic.

Jan 25, 2019, 1:38 PM

We've seen the devolution of the Democrats on the matter of illegal immigration in just a decade.

While past performance is no indication of future performance, it still worries me what kind of debate we'll be having in another decade. A "smart wall" bends a lot easier to popular whims than a real one. You can't decide to turn off a real wall. You can't decide to defund an already built wall.

It has more permanency to it than a virtual wall. Can a real wall be torn down? You bet, but if that were attempted it would be a lot more of a spectacle, cause a lot more debate, and require a lot more courage of their convictions to make such a move.

All Obama had to do was get Obamacare passed and in place for a year or two. We've seen that the Pubs are absolutely terrified to repeal it, much less make any real changes other than on the periphery. I think it would be the same with a real wall. Once it's in place, a future politician would have to give serious though to whether it was political suicide to tear it down.

So yeah, in the here and now, well-funded and monitored smart wall might be as effective, but things change.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great thoughts on this

Jan 25, 2019, 2:00 PM

But it actually got me thinking:

You know crazy groups of George Soros funded libs will probably attempt to deter any wall being built (ie interfere with imminent domain) and then if it gets built.. attempt to tear it down.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

I think Lakebum said this the other day, and I agree.

Jan 25, 2019, 2:24 PM

Eminent domain is the one real problem I have with the concept of a wall. It's the age old debate about greater good outweighing property owner's rights or not. Even if I thought it did, I recognize that it would completely and arbitrarily be my opinion that it was the greater good, and that's why I was ok with it.

I raised hellll at the time and still get annoyed about Kelo vs. New London, but that was involuntarily transferring property from one private entity to another. I assume the govt would own the easement that the wall sat on in this case.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great thoughts on this

Jan 25, 2019, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Great thoughts on this ]

future civilizations will be tearing it down for scrap and wondering WTH happened to the people that built it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They don't want to stop illegal immigration

Jan 25, 2019, 2:21 PM [ in reply to So here's my deep thoughts on the topic. ]

And that's all dems and most pubs in Washington. This is a financial/economic issue versus a political issue. I've explained why before.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No explanation needed, I've agreed with that all along.

Jan 25, 2019, 2:25 PM

Trump makes a lousy Republican and an even worse Democrat though, so it might be the one shot to get something like this done.

We need a third party. If nothing else, Trump's election

Jan 25, 2019, 4:24 PM

proves the people are fed up with the GOP and dems. It's a shame Trump's not smart enough to actually explain things. He's a baffoon, and I'm sure that's just his MO.

I mean, where's the President who will sit down and talk to the American people. And actually EXPLAIN something. Like illegal immigration. How it works, why it's beneficial, and why it's just a band-aid for a bigger problem we have. Why does neither party want to stop illegal immigration? Why do we have these crappy trade deals in the first place? There's a very good reason.

Just look at when illegal immigration became a problem. Then look at when wages flattened out. Then look at trade deficits. Then look at GDP. Then look at the stock market. Then look at the national debt. Just show those charts (Ross Perot style). Then explain what happens when wages climb, what happens if we stopped illegal immigration, what happens if we balance our trade deals with tariffs. What happens when the American people have more money in their pockets. It's freaking scary if it's explained correctly.

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There was a man who explained all those things

Jan 25, 2019, 4:44 PM

very, very well, in just the manor you described.

Ross Perot

The American people thought it was more fun to make a joke out of him than to listen to him, much less vote for him. He turned out to be correct about many things.

I'm just along for the ride.

Jan 25, 2019, 4:57 PM

Maybe an Article V convention for term limits, and a balanced budget amendment? About the only hope. But of course NO ONE ever mentions that. That's for cooks, except that it's in the Constitution.

Trump's biggest folly is not proposing and supporting a convention for those two amendments. Those are two Congress will NEVER pass, and we will eventually fall because of it.

The numbers are there for term limits right now. Probably for a balanced budget as well. Somewhere north of 75% of Americans support term limits. I'm sure you can find 36 states willing to approve that.

One of the few campaign promises that Trump made that

Jan 25, 2019, 6:19 PM

I hoped would come to fruition. Disappointing that he's done nothing to advance that yet.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He said he supports term limits, but he never said

Jan 25, 2019, 6:36 PM

an Article V convention of the states.

He needs to lobby the people and the states.

What we need to focus on is the cause of illegal immigration

Jan 25, 2019, 3:00 PM

and the effect of illegal immigration.

We wouldn't even need a dang fence if we legalized several controlled substances that have turned Mexico into a cartel warzone. And if we severely punished anyone once they got caught for entering that would serve as a deterrent. Deport them immediately and without regard for what they have done since here illegally. Make the crossing more dangerous. Use drones and electronic detection devices to catch people. Take all the money for maintaning a wall and use it to train more drone pilots and dudes on the ground to arrest people. Put foreign smugglers in a smuggler prison that absolutely SUCKS.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I know there’s an argument for and against the wall but

Jan 25, 2019, 4:34 PM

Do both...more actual wall and smart wall everywhere as well.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic