Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"I just want to play in the SEC"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

"I just want to play in the SEC"

Dec 13, 2012, 8:11 AM

This is a point that I made a few weeks ago and was blasted for it.

We lose recruits every year not because of Clemson but because of the garbage conference we play in.

Regardless if we win the conference every year or go 10-2 as we did this year, kids don't want to play at Wake, Duke, NC State, BC, etc. They want to play on the big stage in front of 90K plus almost every week.

This is the biggest reason that SC has got the better of us lateley.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "I just want to play in the SEC"

Dec 13, 2012, 8:16 AM

Bunk!!

Absolutely true.***

Dec 13, 2012, 8:28 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Kids don't want to play at...." A rather blanket statement,

Dec 13, 2012, 8:31 AM

I suggest, that proffers the follow-up: Therefore, no school in the ACC can recruit top talent. And therein lies the rub! While we may indeed lose some talent due to conference affiliation (and which we should expect,) I tend to believe that more recruits choose schools over conferences due to the abilities of the recruiting staffs. While SC has been successful, I would propose that many of those recruits committed to Steve Spurrier...admittedly one of the greatest coaches of the game. Still, I would ask: just where has Clemson ranked contrasted with SC per recruiting? Worth pondering, I would conclude! Lastly, don't take this as "blasting" your opinions...you are entitled to them...rather a slight caution against bold, blanket statements which may tend to cover only a portion of the subject.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

indubitably, my dear sir, indubitably***

Dec 13, 2012, 8:36 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Good morning, Tiger_Swimmer....My only question about

Dec 13, 2012, 8:48 AM

the new indoor practice facility was: where in the fire is the new pool? Maybe, the new AD can remedy the problem!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the 50m pool site was taken for the Scroll of Honor park. Seems like a fair

Dec 13, 2012, 9:16 AM

trade, especially when your D1 school no longer has a swim team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: "Kids don't want to play at...." A rather blanket statement,

Dec 13, 2012, 9:12 AM [ in reply to "Kids don't want to play at...." A rather blanket statement, ]

I have read numerous times on this board, clemson fans say that the only recruiting advantage we have over clemson, is being in the SEC. We had some good recruiting classes before Spurrier arrived. Our 2000 team finished 19th in the nation in the final poll. The following year, we finished 13th. The heart of those teams were recruited prior to 2000. The truth is that recruits choose a school for any number of reasons. Yes, conference plays a part. The Head Coach plays a part. Some may see playing time earlier at a particular school. Others may prefer an urban setting. Others may prefer a school due to the make up of its student demographics. Others may want to go into a particular major that the school offers. Others may want to go to a program because of the success that program has of putting players in the league. Others may want to follow a girl friend. The reasons are many.

Actually, we aren't in disagreement, for you are elaborating

Dec 13, 2012, 12:36 PM

on my point. Redcruiots have many reasons why they choose one school over another, and I believe some of SC's success has been due directly to Coach Spurrier's reputation along with other aspects. Likewise, apparently, a number have been attracted to Clemson due to Coach Swinney's abilities at recruiting. Works the same way across the land, I think.

and that explains how we have had a top recruiting class the

Dec 13, 2012, 8:35 AM

last couple of years? Your feathers are showing.

Not on the lines***

Dec 13, 2012, 9:15 AM

^^^totally false^^^***

Dec 13, 2012, 7:17 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^^totally false^^^***

Dec 13, 2012, 7:20 PM

Well it sure aint showin' up. So what's the issue?

Dec 13, 2012, 8:35 AM

Yep everyone dreams of playing at Vandy, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Missouri, Arkansas, and the cockroach. LOL

Dec 13, 2012, 3:23 PM

South Carolina had a higher attendance average than every ACC school this season. Ole Miss/Miss State would have been 4th in the ACC in attendance this year. Arkansas/Missouri would each be third. Kentucky was down this year due to how bad they were, but even they usually average 60k per game

Garbage. ******

Dec 13, 2012, 8:39 AM

null

when did Ole Miss, Miss St., Vandy, UK, Mizzou, et al expand

Dec 13, 2012, 8:39 AM

their stadiums?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have outrecruited So Car 7 of the past 9 years.

Dec 13, 2012, 8:41 AM

Re: We have outrecruited So Car 7 of the past 9 years.

Dec 13, 2012, 8:47 AM

I'm still waiting for it to show up on the field.

Re: We have outrecruited So Car 7 of the past 9 years.

Dec 13, 2012, 9:38 AM [ in reply to We have outrecruited So Car 7 of the past 9 years. ]

if you have out recruited South Carolina, then something is very wrong in your program.

*cough* player development *cough****

Dec 13, 2012, 2:42 PM

SEC average attendance 70,000, USC coattailer

Dec 13, 2012, 8:46 AM

You are right if you are talking about Duke vs Alabama...but Clemson matches up with or is better than SEC teams with fans, facilities and program...We dont ride the conference coattail like you have to...

Re: "I just want to play in the SEC" - he's right

Dec 13, 2012, 9:31 AM

Like it or not folks, the man has a point. I do think we lose some kids simply due to the bright lights of the SEC.

CU does an outstanding recruiting job, but the SEC headwinds affect us no doubt.

Not saying we lost Clowney because of that, but are we 11-1, or 12-0 this year with him? Add in maybe one more five star defensive player and I think we are for sure.

I really respect PJB's efforts to save the ACC, but it may not be doable.

Re: "I just want to play in the SEC" - he's right

Dec 13, 2012, 2:51 PM

If we get him, he either has to go to prep school or does what Mike Bellamy did and has to transfer because he can't make the grades.

Dec 13, 2012, 2:52 PM

And I would like to win the power ball lottery and become the love of Halle Berry's life. Those 2 things and Clemson being asked to join the SEC have exactly the same chance of happening ... ZERO!!

Why do you morons keep making these posts that make it sound like all we have to do is ask, and the SEC will accepy Clemson with open arms. ABSURD ... no school within the SEC's current footprint will ever be invited to join. Maybe the Big 12 if the ACC continues to deteriorate. That's the best we can hope for.

Re: Actually, we aren't in disagreement, for you are elaborating

Dec 13, 2012, 2:56 PM

The bottom line is the SEC factor is huge in recruiting. The reason Carolina has won the last 4 times is because they got commitments from the #### Mr. Football winners. Jeffries, Gilmore, Lattimore, and Clowney. All of which we had no shot with because of their Carolina connections. Those players and our lack of physicality caused a huge momentum swing.

Spurrier is the only reason usuck has beaten us 4 in a row.

Dec 13, 2012, 3:09 PM

without him, they are still garbage and will return to being garbage as soon as he retires, dies, goes away, whatever.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did any of us think they would get Spurrier?

Dec 13, 2012, 4:35 PM

I sure didn't. Spurrier has shown they can win big in the SEC. With SEC money, how do we know they won't get a good one to replace him? I guess what I'm saying is that it's dangerous to sit back and hope that Tanner screws up the hire when it does happen. They'll have the money to get a good replacement. And being that Spurrier has shown that they can win in the SEC, they won't have difficulty getting applications from very good coaches.

win what? the east division 1 time

Dec 13, 2012, 7:11 PM

so what. even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

Spurrier won at Duke. Not many coaches are going to be able io do what he has done. Additionally, they are going to suffer a hang over period after he leaves. I can't think of one program that has had back to back very successful coaches.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do not think it is the conference as much as it is

Dec 13, 2012, 8:01 PM

ESPN saying anything they can to build up the SEC. They bring them up every chance they get. Pretty soon you will be hearing about the SEC during their poker shows

Dec 13, 2012, 9:27 PM

got any ideas for a quick fix

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 13, 2012, 9:29 PM

got any ideas for a quick fix

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive