Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
serious question for Democrats
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 384

serious question for Democrats

Aug 24, 2018, 9:17 AM

if (when) you take the house, do you want to impeach the president?

I know many of my Democrats friends talk about impeachment all the time but, my understanding is that the Democrats in congress - especially the leadership - want no part of it. That seems to be a huge disconnect between voters and their representatives.

What say you?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't have to be a Dem to want impeachment.

Aug 24, 2018, 9:18 AM

And yes, I want impeachment. The man is evil and a plague to our nation. He's got to go. And yes, I'm perfectly fine with Pence as prez until 2020.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

but it sounds like the elected Democrats don't want

Aug 24, 2018, 9:20 AM

impeachment. Not because of Pence but because (1) they know it won't work - the Senate will never convict and (2) they like having Trump as a punching bag and salivate at running against him in 2020.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Manafort picked Pence. Mike will make a good proxy.

Aug 24, 2018, 9:22 AM

My money is on resignation before impeachment proceedings begin. Then Trump starts his own cable news network.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So much this. He resigns because #notfair witch hunt.

Aug 24, 2018, 10:13 AM

A tweet monsoon season of excuses about how DC was rigged against him and he's not gonna play their game anymore. #Ivegotbetterthingstodo, etc. Announcing TrumpTV. Ends up televangelising MAGA, having rallies all over US like some character out of a Tom Wolfe novel.

I don't know why he ever ran anyway.

Aug 24, 2018, 11:07 AM

Dude had it made, a billionaire living and golfing in Mara Lago, married to a model. Nobody cared what he did, so he could pretty much do anything he wanted.

What a DA move.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Common d@m sense doesn't seem to be his strong suit.

Aug 24, 2018, 1:00 PM

Just a cursory thought about the lifetime of shady shid he'd done, should be compelling enough to not want to be under the microscopic scrutiny of the presidency.

And I think you're right.

Aug 24, 2018, 9:24 AM [ in reply to but it sounds like the elected Democrats don't want ]

For a few reasons:
Well, my buddy who works on the Hill said the same thing you did about how Trump is more of an asset to them to win the next two elections.

Also, you're right, getting it through the Senate would be tough unless a bunch of GOP flipped.

I do think some Dems are keeping quiet about it until after November. I mean, if enough bad stuff comes out on Trump, the GOP may even look at their own self preservation with having to bring him down.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Based on what we know right now....

Aug 24, 2018, 9:30 AM [ in reply to You don't have to be a Dem to want impeachment. ]

if them dems win the HOR and file impeachment charges, it will just about guarantee a 2nd Trump term.

I want him out of the WH too, but the best chance of that is to vote him out in 2020 (I would love for him to primary'ed, but that ship has pretty much sailed).

Re: Based on what we know right now....

Aug 24, 2018, 3:53 PM

flow0440 said:

if them dems win the HOR and file impeachment charges, it will just about guarantee a 2nd Trump term.

I want him out of the WH too, but the best chance of that is to vote him out in 2020 (I would love for him to primary'ed, but that ship has pretty much sailed).

True dat.. Republicans are now the party of Trump.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't believe that to be true...

Aug 24, 2018, 4:35 PM

but an impeachment will energize Trump's supporters like nothing else. I'd be willing to bet that a large % of his support comes from folks who would not traditionally identify as republican.

I'm still praying for a primary challenge. I think it could be done with the right candidate.

impeachment is dumb

Aug 24, 2018, 9:20 AM

Doesn't the senate need to vote on it anyway? It would never get approved by the senate and it is a waste of time and money

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

I think thats what elected Democrats think. but I suspect

Aug 24, 2018, 9:21 AM

their base is on a completely different page. I think they risk losing their enthusiasm gap if they don't respond to the base.

Impeachment does not equal removal

Aug 24, 2018, 9:24 AM

The senate would need 67 votes for removal from office.

And, if it follows the Clinton impeachment proceedings - which were bad for the pubs - it would be a bad move politically for the dems.

Sorry libs, Trump ain't leaving unless you vote him out in 2020

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

but if he's not convicted, they can continue to

Aug 24, 2018, 9:27 AM

blame the GOP. I think they risk losing their base if they don't impeach. But, they do have perfectly rational reasons for not bringing impeachment.

No, they risk losing the entire left wing.

Aug 24, 2018, 9:59 AM

The base will always pull the lever beside the D.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's more likely...

Aug 24, 2018, 9:27 AM [ in reply to Impeachment does not equal removal ]

To be completely shut down by a Dem-controlled Congress and then defeated in 2020. The days of this man being able to get things done, in one way or another, are likely coming to an end soon.

What has HE gotten done in Congress???....

Aug 24, 2018, 9:31 AM

The tax cut is about the only think he can claim and that was done IN SPITE of him. He about derailed that 10 different ways during the process.

True dat.***

Aug 24, 2018, 2:23 PM

TD if you want. I suppose the truth hurts.***

Aug 24, 2018, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Impeachment does not equal removal ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

this TDer would rather TD than comment. He's a weak minded

Aug 24, 2018, 9:35 AM

limp wristed, a$$-sucking, pinko commie Democrat. and that's not a personal attack both because its true and because he won't show his white pasty face in here which is safely housed in his grandma's basement.

This TD thing is getting pretty comical.***

Aug 24, 2018, 9:50 AM

to each his own I guess

Aug 24, 2018, 10:09 AM

if he wants to sit there and spend his days TDing more power to him. Back in the day, before Meist put the kibosh on it, you set up an algorithm to automatically TU or TD. those were the days.

You've given 15,000 + TD's, right?***

Aug 24, 2018, 4:35 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh that's rich...

Aug 24, 2018, 11:10 AM [ in reply to This TD thing is getting pretty comical.*** ]

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Wait...didn't you used to delete all of your threads...

Aug 24, 2018, 9:52 AM [ in reply to this TDer would rather TD than comment. He's a weak minded ]

whenever you were challenged?

Iron Knee

I don't recall, Senator***

Aug 24, 2018, 10:09 AM

Good WSJ editorial I just read on the topic

Aug 24, 2018, 9:40 AM

C&P'd for non-subscribing UDP's

By The Editorial Board
Updated Aug. 23, 2018 7:30 p.m. ET
Shhhhhhhhh. Whatever else you do, please don’t mention the “I word” between now and November. That’s the public message from Democratic leaders and most of their media friends this week after Michael Cohen’s guilty plea and his criminal allegations against President Trump. Between now and Election Day, “impeachment” is the forbidden word.

“If and when the information emerges about that, we’ll see,” says once and perhaps future House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. “It’s not a priority on the agenda going forward unless something else comes forward.”

Mr. Cohen’s charges are serious, says Senate Democratic Whip #### Durbin, but impeachment talk is “premature” because “more information has to come forward” and it’s “too early in the process to be using these words.”

Under the coy headline “Can Trump Survive?”—you already know his answer—Washington Post columnist E.J. Dionne counsels Democrats that “the argument for impeaching Trump suddenly became very strong, but this does not mean that turning 2018 into an impeachment election is prudent.”

And if you believe this misdirection, you probably also believe that Donald Trump didn’t canoodle with Stormy Daniels.

The political reality is that Democrats are all but certain to impeach Mr. Trump if they take the House in November. After what they’ve said and the process they’ve set in motion, Democrats won’t have much choice. They simply don’t want to admit this now before the election lest they rile up too many deplorables and independents who thought they elected a President for four years.

Let’s make the reasonable guess that Democrats retake the House with 228 seats, a narrow but solid 10-seat majority. They’ll have done so after two years of claiming that Mr. Trump is an illegitimate President who conspired with the Kremlin to steal the 2016 election, that he is profiting from the Presidency for personal gain, that he obstructed justice by firing James Comey, and that after Michael Cohen’s plea the President is now “an unindicted co-conspirator” in campaign-finance fraud.

If Democrats finally gain the power to do something about this menace to mankind, do they suddenly say “never mind”?

No doubt Democrats would start slowly by revving up the investigative machinery: subpoenas, hearings, all covered to a fare-thee-well by the media. Michael Cohen will be a major witness, as will the others named in the plea-deal documents. The Trump tax returns will get a star turn.

Once this starts, it will be hard to stop even if Democratic leaders want to. It will be even harder to stop if special counsel Robert Mueller writes a report to his superiors (that will inevitably leak) saying he couldn’t indict a sitting President but here is the evidence that he may have obstructed justice or have shady finances. The evidence may not even matter much since impeachment is a political process and Congress defines what are “high crimes and misdemeanors.”

Meanwhile, the battle for the 2020 Democratic nomination will be underway, with multiple candidates vying for the hearts and minds of liberal voters. They’ll compete to see who can be the loudest voice for impeachment. Even Terry McAuliffe, the former Virginia Governor who wants to run for President and who defended Bill Clinton against impeachment, has said impeaching Donald Trump is “something we ought to look at.”

There will be more-in-sorrow-than-anger calls for sober judgment, but political momentum has a mind of its own. The party’s liberal base will demand that Democrats be counted on an impeachment vote, and so will its media elites, who want vindication for believing that Mr. Trump could never have legitimately defeated their heroine.

The smarter political play might be to wait until 2020 and ride a potential wave of national fatigue with Mr. Trump, but don’t underestimate the degree to which liberals want this President to be politically humiliated and legally punished. Read their Twitter feeds and columns if you don’t believe us.

We don’t know how impeachment would play out politically in 2019 and 2020. An impeachment based on acts that have nothing to do with Russian collusion would offend much of the public, but as the New York Times joyfully put it this week, “that may not matter.” While a conviction in the Senate may seem improbable at this point, Democrats might not care because they’ll have made Republicans defend Mr. Trump’s behavior.

The main point about this election year is that no one should believe Democrats when they say that impeaching Donald Trump isn’t on their agenda. It’s their only agenda.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Personally, no... I don't want to see him impeached.

Aug 24, 2018, 9:43 AM

I'd rather just wait for 2020 and then elect someone who can competently govern. Or, at least, someone who isn't a total embarrassment of a human being. I have a pretty low bar these days.

In the meantime, I'll wait to see what Mueller has to say about collusion and obstruction. If there's something to it, then yes... impeachment should be on the table.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

absolutely not

Aug 24, 2018, 9:53 AM

and I am pretty certain that if the dems take this house that trump will make himself useful to avoid impeachment.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think the dems can back out now.

Aug 24, 2018, 9:58 AM

95% of the media is now pushing for impeachment hard and many dem voters strongly believe Trump is unfit for the office. The democratic candidates are backing off but everybody knows that Trump will be impeached if the dems take the house. It doesn't matter what the dem candidates say or don't say.

When a snowball is rolled down a hill at some point it becomes impossible to stop. This snowball is long past that point. I'm not sure it will be enough to prevent the dems from taking the house of representatives but it will bring out enough Trump supporters in states Trump took in 2016 to prevent the senate to have the 2/3rds votes to remove him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pro law enforcement:simply investigate & prosecute criminals

Aug 24, 2018, 11:02 AM

Whether in Washington, New York, Chicago, North Charleston, California, South Carolina, Florida or at the border - anywhere.

I believe that for the great majority of cases, Law enforcement and Justice do this fairly, humanly and without prejudice. There are cases where there has been a miscarriage of justice and certain policies are not aligned with our morals and values as a country. Regardless of theses cases, statistically the US criminal justice system gets it right the great majority of the time. People on both sides who focus on the statistically outliers and fringe cases end up advocating positions that can deteriorate trust and undermine law enforcement and the justice system.

Fair game to challenge the system and advocate improvements in a constructive manner without instigating emotional and often irrational public responses.

While I'm not a Trump fan, Our founding fathers

Aug 24, 2018, 11:14 AM

set it up where impeachment was very rare.

I'm not sure we have reached the impeachment threshold and if this is the new threshold then we maybe looking at many more impeachments in the coming decades.

I didn't agree with the Clinton impeachment either for what it's worth.

So far only 3 have been up for impeachment and none were kicked out of office. That's a good track record and mainly due to the high threshold we have set for impeachment proceedings.

On the other hand though, the president is not above the law and should be held accountable for illegal actions.

I like your funny words magic man

Replies: 32
| visibility 384
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic