Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Twenty fives years ago, my wife and I along with two friends
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Twenty fives years ago, my wife and I along with two friends

Dec 7, 2012, 3:04 PM

visited Hawaii. We were all about 26 years old and just starting to spread our wings.

While there we toured Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial. It was a very powerful experience. The park ranger, an older gentleman, told stories of the attack, some general information and some specific. He told tales of the men who died that day, including some of their backgrounds. There were about 15 or 20 of us in the tour and most of us were emotionally moved by his words. However, the moment that brought us to tears was at the end of the tour he showed us a picture of himself and explained that he wasn't just a tour guide, he had been stationed in Pearl Harbor on one of the ships in Dec 7, 1941. He was talking to us from first hand experience. He had lived through the horror of the day.

It's a moment I'll never forget.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have also ben there

Dec 7, 2012, 3:19 PM

It's a hallowing place.

they probably still played the movie at the visitor's center back then

Dec 7, 2012, 3:23 PM

that made you really hate the Japanese for what they did, right before boarding a boat full of Japanese tourists to go over to the Arizona. It was awkward.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Yes they showed that movie. Intrestingly enough...

Dec 7, 2012, 3:30 PM

I went back to Hawaii in 1999 and we took our kids to Pearl Harbor. Earlier in the week we had met a Japanese couple at Diamond Head. On the bus ride to Pearl Harbor we met up again with the Japanese couple. We toured Pearl Harbor and the Memorial together. It was a cool experience.

Re: Twenty fives years ago, my wife and I along with two friends

Dec 7, 2012, 3:24 PM

Went in 2005. It is a very emotional experience. When looking at the harbor you can see just how easy it was to inflict such losses. There were I think 22 set of brothers on board, a father and son and a boy who turned 17 on that day. Oil still drips up from below. Some service members who survived request their ashes be placed with the crew and friends they served with. There were a lot of Japs on the tour taking pictures, they were repsectful. After we left the Arizona we went to tour the Missouri battlewagon and stand on the surrender deck. There is a large bronze marker on the exact same place were the table sat and surrender documents were signed by the Japaneese. I never saw on jap tourist on board the Missouri.

This may be odd

Dec 7, 2012, 3:26 PM

but I have never felt emotional connections to historical places. Like when they say "It happened right here!" I never get stirred. Like it has happened at a multitude of places.

That is odd. It doesn't always happen. But at Gettysburg

Dec 7, 2012, 3:32 PM

and Fort McHenry - I felt connected to the battles and the people that were there somehow. I had goosebumps that wouldn't go away. If there are ghosts - I KNOW there are some at Gettysburg.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm the same way

Dec 7, 2012, 4:49 PM [ in reply to This may be odd ]

I've been to many battle fields and forts and other such historic places, and I enjoy learning the history and hearing the stories. I've just never felt overcome with any sort of emotional reaction.

my wife and i visited there 27 years ago on our 2nd

Dec 7, 2012, 3:27 PM

anniversay. we didn't have a vetern as a tour guide but what will stick with me forever is the eriy calmness of the memorial gave me chills. that and the memorial tour was the only place there were no japanese tourist around.

would japanese tourists ruined it for you?***

Dec 7, 2012, 3:28 PM

my grandfather faught in ww11

Dec 7, 2012, 3:34 PM

That is without a doubt the greatest gerneration America.has ever seen

avoiding world war isn't a bad thing

Dec 7, 2012, 3:35 PM

they just happened to be born into circumstances that were unavoidable.

And they STEPPED UP in a way that I don't think we

Dec 7, 2012, 3:40 PM

would today.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree.

Dec 7, 2012, 4:51 PM

I think we'd step up just as well if necessary. I do think you'd have a harder time convincing people there's a real enough reason to need to step up, though.

No doubt about that. The."it's all about me" generation

Dec 7, 2012, 5:11 PM [ in reply to And they STEPPED UP in a way that I don't think we ]

wouldn't step up I'm afraid.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No doubt!***

Dec 7, 2012, 4:48 PM [ in reply to my grandfather faught in ww11 ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks For Sharing That! I fear the day is coming when

Dec 7, 2012, 4:40 PM

very little is made of the tremendous sacrifices made during WWII. My father fought in Europe and my uncle in the Pacific and I have insured my children & will insure my grandchildren never forget the great men they were. God Bless America and Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fortunate to have been many places in the world but by far

Dec 7, 2012, 5:06 PM

the most emotional was visiting Pearl Harbor and Arizona Memorial. A truly moving experience.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did they mention how Elvis helped to have the memorial

Dec 7, 2012, 5:25 PM

built?

Elvis Presley Pearl Harbor benefit concert recalled 50 years later; anniversary to raise funds for USS Arizona Memorial

http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2011/03/elvis_presley_pearl_harbor_ben.html

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic