Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2 questions for those who favor keeping Brownell:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1,714

2 questions for those who favor keeping Brownell:

Mar 8, 2017, 5:31 PM

1. After 7 years of absolutely zero measureable improvement, what makes you think there will be any going forward?

2. How much longer should he get to show significant improvement (in terms of winning %, tournament appearances, etc)?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: 2 questions for those who favor keeping Brownell:

Mar 8, 2017, 5:33 PM

great questions. i sure would like to work for those "supportive" folks. i would kick back and smile every payday

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Mar 8, 2017, 6:28 PM

1. He finally has improved facilities to help him recruit. In fact his last class was his best by far which suggest he was able to sell the facilities as they were being built. Keep in mind he's playing in the best and most devoted basketball conference in the nation at the second worst basketball program in the conference.

If you actually looked at recruiting rankings and then ACC standings you would see that he has overachieved with his players, which suggest he's a good coach.

2. 2 years would be a fair shake.

Those asking Brad to win the ACC in basketball is like USCjr expecting their football coach to win the SEC in football a few years back. Both programs have nearly identical disadvantages. No history, no facilities, elite competition, etc.. Basically it would take a miracle to happen. Winning the ACC is roughly equivalent to getting to the final four.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You make too much sense...

Mar 8, 2017, 6:32 PM

Everybody loves to blame Brownell. But basketball at clemson is a clemson issue not our coach

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who is asking him to win the ACC?

Mar 8, 2017, 6:33 PM [ in reply to Re: 2 questions for those who favor keeping Brownell: ]

You cite recruiting as a reason to keep him, but we're looking 2-3 years down the road before the type guys we recruit become major contributors. So are we going 9-10 years of mediocrity?

You also realize he only has three years left on his deal, meaning he cannot say to guys he's recruiting for next year he'll be here when they are seniors, a horrible position for recruiting. You giving him an extension?

We are the only team in the ACC and maybe the SEC that would retain Brownell after these last six years. We deserve to be a bottom feeder

Re: Who is asking him to win the ACC?

Mar 8, 2017, 6:39 PM

> You cite recruiting as a reason to keep him, but
> we're looking 2-3 years down the road before the type
> guys we recruit become major contributors. So are we
> going 9-10 years of mediocrity?
>
> You also realize he only has three years left on his
> deal, meaning he cannot say to guys he's recruiting
> for next year he'll be here when they are seniors, a
> horrible position for recruiting. You giving him an
> extension?
>
> We are the only team in the ACC and maybe the SEC
> that would retain Brownell after these last six
> years. We deserve to be a bottom feeder

This is so true. We lose three key players. When has Brad ever shown that he can replace players production at the start of a season? The freshman are good prospects but not difference makers. Brad doesn't even play freshmen unless it's a Grantham, and loom at what that got us. Any other program would can him after this after 6 years. Even Northwestern that's never been to a NCAAT. We embrace the suck as a program.

Re: Who is asking him to win the ACC?

Mar 8, 2017, 9:09 PM [ in reply to Who is asking him to win the ACC? ]

Let him play out the contract then. Another 2-3 years of mediocre doesn't matter if it's preceded by 100 years of it.

Again none of you seem to recognize that Brad was literally on the losing side of every aspect a coach can pitch to recruits at Clemson. The fact that we were not at the absolute bottom of the ACC every year is proof that he's a better coach then many of his peers in conference.

Open your eyes and look at what he's up against. Today he played the winningest coach of ALL TIME and the 4th winningest team of all time. Who do you want to hire to markedly improve our teams performance against that?

If .500 is our goal and the best we feel

Mar 8, 2017, 9:37 PM

we can do, we are truly one of the worst jobs in America. I simply don't believe that, and the successes of every coach excepting Shyatt who preceded Brad going back to Foster proves that we are better than that.

You accept mediocre, it's all you'll ever be. Apparently, that's all you want, and Brad is definitely your guy.

Funny how VT with zero tradition can completely change their program with a good hire, but we have no hope of improving on what we have.

He's not asking him to win the ACC, though that'd be nice.

Mar 8, 2017, 6:36 PM [ in reply to Re: 2 questions for those who favor keeping Brownell: ]

I imagine he'd just like to go to the Tourney and win a game or two once in a while.

And yes, Brad has "overachieved" with what people predicted, but the expectations were always very low, because that's what objective observers expected.

And recruiting good players is part of being a good coach, not just getting everything out of mediocre ones.

Just four more words:

Jack

Tommy

Monte

Dabo

Mar 8, 2017, 6:44 PM [ in reply to Re: 2 questions for those who favor keeping Brownell: ]

Lame , you hire a coach to make history, not repeat it

I don't believe his last class was "by far his best".

Mar 8, 2017, 7:51 PM [ in reply to Re: 2 questions for those who favor keeping Brownell: ]

Marginally better, perhaps. This year was supposed to be the year, with a first team All-ACC player returning, not to mention our top 3 scorers and 6 of our top 8. I agree that he does pretty well with what he's got, but he's just never able to get enough, and while I know facilities are important, I can't blame it all on that.

I'm not asking for a coach to come in here and win the ACC, but I do expect to see a coach show some measureable improvement over 7 years, and Brownell has shown none.

The bottom line is that this is Brownell's program, and fair or not, he is inextricably tied to it's lack of success, and that bodes poorly for the future.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

The way I look at it.

Mar 8, 2017, 6:38 PM

I don't care if he stays or if he goes. That said, I want to make sure get all 4 recruits we have committed. Wouldn't we possibly lose them if he is fired?

1. Blind squirrel finds a nut.

2. He should be fired whenever it is best for Clemson's bottom line.

If he stays I don't exactly mind. If he goes I don't mind.. I would never want him staying past this contract though. If we do get someone exciting now, and all of our committed recruits stay on board, then I want the new coach asap. There are so many variables.

I believe Clemson's bottom line is impacted significantly

Mar 8, 2017, 7:53 PM

the longer we remain irrelevant in basketball, and the longer we remain so, the tougher it becomes to turn it around, and the greater the long term impact on that bottom line.

- H. L. Mencken

Why is improvement needed?***

Mar 8, 2017, 8:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 8, 2017, 9:11 PM

You are right ST.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 8, 2017, 9:24 PM

Yes ST is. The decision to keep or let BB go will be telling especially if he has only 3 years left on his contract. How will he recruit?

Mar 8, 2017, 9:32 PM

1. He seems to be recruiting some better, and we were competitive in every game this year but two.
2. One more year and even I will quit defending him. He does have vast basketball knowledge, is a wonderful person but motivation and energy to the players are my biggest concerns. We can't be Duke or UNC, but I am concerned that the Va Techs and Florida States have passed us by.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1,714
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic