Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I am in need of a high powered, accurate pellet gun
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 400

I am in need of a high powered, accurate pellet gun

May 16, 2016, 10:33 AM

I currently have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Powerline-Dark-Brown-Black-37-6/dp/B000YAXRJC?ie=UTF8&keywords=pellet%2Fbb%20gun&qid=1463408815&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

It is OK, but not accurate enough from a distance. I am needing to kill snakes, and possibly a neighbors cat. haha, jk about the cat maybe, but anyway, I'm looking for something that I don't have to pump 11 times to achieve sufficient pressure, and needs to be accurate from greater than 10' away. I do not care how much it costs since I don't have to buy playsets for children. I mean, I do care, I'm not spending o ver $300 on a pellet gun, but I'm not on a $75 budget or anything. Definitely want a scope.

I'm seriously considering this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Gamo-611004925554-Silent-Stalker-Caliber/dp/B004MYU2L2/ref=sr_1_8?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1463369645&sr=1-8&keywords=high+power+pellet+rifle&refinements=p_72%3A1248957011

Anybody have it?

And go.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only needs 1 pump

May 16, 2016, 10:34 AM

edited picture for size (if only I could do that IRL)

Message was edited by: FBCoachSC®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

What is that?***

May 16, 2016, 10:36 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 16, 2016, 10:42 AM

marlin

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wanting a Henry .22 lever action for awhile

May 16, 2016, 10:45 AM

I know you can get subsonic .22's, but I figured a pellet gun would be much quieter. If my neighbors wife thought I was shooting a "real" gun in the backyard, she may burn the entire neighborhood down.

Now if you're telling me the noise is roughly the same as a pellet gun, that is a game changer.

I have a lever action Henry my grandfather gave me

May 16, 2016, 10:54 AM

a lot like the one in the picture.

Not sub-sonic. Shoot quick then run back in the house. Doesn't matter what the ol' biotch says. It's what she can prove.

.22 quiet ammo

May 16, 2016, 1:52 PM [ in reply to I've been wanting a Henry .22 lever action for awhile ]

CCI makes a .22 bullet that only shoots 710 FPS that is extremely quiet. It is quieter than some of the more high powered pellet guns, all you really can hear is the action of the gun and the firing cap. It is in a regular .22 LR casing too instead of the typical .22 short which is usually used for quieter ammo so it can be shot out of any regular .22 lever action or single shot rifle. Not sure how it would perform in a semi-auto, I shoot a Marlin 39A lever action. Anyways this may be a decent option if you want something with more accuracy than a pellet gun as you can find a decent .22 rifle most anywhere for fairly cheap if your not wanting to spend a lot of money. Your neighbors would not be able to tell if you are shooting a .22 or a pellet rifle I promise that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is another type of subsonic .22 round, which uses a

May 16, 2016, 3:03 PM

.22 short casing, but a large bullet to make it just as long as a .22 LR. They work great, and hit very heavy.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2506135961/aguila-sss-sniper-subsonic-ammunition-22-long-rifle-60-grain-lead-round-nose

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

And y'all are saying these rounds will be no louder than a

May 16, 2016, 3:17 PM

pellet gun? While I know a pellet gun will be cheaper to shoot, I think I'd rather have a .22 if I'm going to spend the same amount of money up front. Noise is my biggest concern. I only really have one neighbor, and they're beside me, nothing but woods behind me so I'm not worried about hitting houses or people.

I'll give you a handful to shoot, if you want to see for

May 16, 2016, 3:25 PM

yourself. They're pretty quiet. I'd also note if you're shooting down at the ground at a steep angle, it also muffles the sound a lot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks, the more I think about it, I'm probably better off

May 16, 2016, 3:29 PM

with the pellet gun. Half of the time I'll be shooting it at the lake, so I think it's more wise to go the pellet route then to accidentally shoot all of the way across an island or something.

One day Henry lever action, one day.

LOL that's Marlin .22

May 16, 2016, 10:44 AM [ in reply to What is that?*** ]

Nice rifle actually.

Do some research, there are a BUNCH of really nice, hunting quality air rifles out there these days. Most of what you'll see in the bog box stores are fun plinkers but don;t really fall in the realm of serious hunting rifles. I'd stay with at least nitro piston, but pre-charged pneumatic is the way to go if you;re willing to spend for one. A predator-quality air rifle is on my bucket list, although there are a few items ahead of that right now.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, and the best snake gun is going to be a .22 revolver

May 16, 2016, 10:46 AM

with snake shot. It might be a little more obvious to the neighbors, but if show them a copperhead or deadly Hartwell moccasin corpse, they might think twice about calling the law.

Thought you was talking about me.***

May 16, 2016, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Only needs 1 pump ]

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thought you were talking about Steve.***

May 16, 2016, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Only needs 1 pump ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I got the Benjamin .22 caliber Nitro Piston.

May 16, 2016, 10:35 AM

900+ fps, nice enough scope, shoots really hard because .22 not .177.

Yes, I think I would prefer the .22 to keep it subsonic

May 16, 2016, 10:38 AM

Is this what you have?

http://www.amazon.com/Benjamin-BW8M22NP-Piston-Hunting-22-Caliber/dp/B005NH9QEG?ie=UTF8&keywords=22%20pellet%20rifle&qid=1463367692&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

Yes.

May 16, 2016, 10:49 AM

You have to learn how to hold and shoot ("artillery hold"), but it is very accurate.

I got a Magnum PI.

May 16, 2016, 10:38 AM [ in reply to I got the Benjamin .22 caliber Nitro Piston. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Capture snake, put snake where cat is, possibly

May 16, 2016, 10:40 AM

eliminate one problem.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is my squirrel assassin......Benjamin Trail NP2

May 16, 2016, 10:46 AM

one of the quietest ones on the market with a built-in suppressor. As solid and heavy as a regular rifle. This particular one comes with an upgraded scope - which is very important. PLEASE get a good scope, it makes a world of difference.

I like the .22 caliber because you can find ammo just about anywhere. Also, by all means get a gas piston, not a spring loaded (for quietness and consistent power).

Look at the Pyramid site and educate yourself on what's out there. They make pellet rifles that will bring down wild game in Africa nowadays, some unreal stuff. But you won't go wrong with this one for backyard varmint blasting.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Trail_NP2_Air_Rifle_Wood_Stock_Combo/3542/7089

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have read that breakbarrels are not as accurate with a

May 16, 2016, 10:51 AM

scope, I'm assuming you have not had this issue?

absolutely no problem

May 16, 2016, 11:04 AM

I've had mine for about 2 years and have never touched the scope adjustments. Killed so many tree rats that I find myself wanting them to come back (they were eating into the side of my house). They don't even show up on my property any more.

I target practice with coke bottles (the 16 oz plastic ones, about the size of a squirrel body) set up at 100ft and 200ft (67yds). It's not even a challenge at 100ft. I hit about 90% at 200ft unless the wind is really blowing. I've started using oranges or eggs to make it difficult. Hitting an egg 2/3 of a football field away.

Like I said, a good scope makes all the difference in the world.

I think you've sold me

May 16, 2016, 11:32 AM

How is Pyramidairs service? I could order from amazon, but I may buy that one from them with the upgraded scope, and hopes that they take a little more pride in the quality of product they ship out. I've gotten some stuff from amazon that looks someone with a lobotomy packaged it, then transported it by dragging it behind the UPS truck.

only thing I've ever ordered from them was this rifle

May 16, 2016, 12:27 PM

no issues. Well packaged (factory box), fast ship. They are a pretty solid company from what I see.

They send me a little magazine every few months with sales and interesting articles, which is OK.

I bought mine from Scheel's while I was out in Iowa a few

May 16, 2016, 12:34 PM

months ago. so I have no idea how the shipping from Amazon compares with Pyramid Air. The guy at Scheel's was pretty ### knowledgeable about air rifles, doe.

I was hoping Cabelas had one in stock

May 16, 2016, 12:52 PM [ in reply to only thing I've ever ordered from them was this rifle ]

Which they did, but not the wood stock...and I definitely want the wood stock.

Now I have to weigh whether or not I just want to get a Henry .22, or go the air rifle route. Looks like they're about the same price, I would just be worried about shooting the .22 with neighbors, even if they were subsonic rounds.

I bought mine partially because I could not find .22 ammo

May 16, 2016, 1:05 PM

anywhere on the face of the Earth at the time.

but I could find a million .22 pellets most anywhere any day of the week.

Is the air rifle appreciably quieter than the .22?***

May 16, 2016, 1:10 PM

I can spit louder than this gun

May 16, 2016, 1:24 PM

The pellet hitting the target is louder than the initial shot. Watch this video.

https://youtu.be/HLWVczkqfeo

Thanks!

May 16, 2016, 10:53 AM [ in reply to this is my squirrel assassin......Benjamin Trail NP2 ]

I was trying to think which site had all the info...Pyramid, as you said is the one.

Also, go check out some of the air rifle hunts that are on YouTube. I've watched a few hog hunts that are posted there. The technology in air rifles is nothing short of amazing these days. A lot of it is driven by the fact that there are a lot of places across the world where firearm ownership is not allowed but folks hunt with air rifles to put food on the table.

There's an arrow slinging air gun now too.

May 16, 2016, 10:53 AM

http://www.crosman.com/airbow

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lawd, $999??

May 16, 2016, 11:02 AM

If I'm going to spend that much on a gun, it'll be another AR....Or a nice 1911.

geez. didn't notice that.

May 16, 2016, 11:07 AM

It's like guns, prolly just suggested. Street value will be 700. Still way too much (or is it?), but I want to shoot one.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 400
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic