Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I am done...i am a lifelong SC fan but after seeing Hopkins
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 1

I am done...i am a lifelong SC fan but after seeing Hopkins

Sep 3, 2012, 11:54 AM

getting baptized I am done pulling against Dabo. He and his staff are reaching young men for Christ.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am done...i am a lifelong SC fan but after seeing Hopkins

Sep 3, 2012, 11:59 AM

life lessons are as important as football lessons. Nuk and Sammy both accepted Christ during the fall football season. I know there were some others also.

Way to lead these young men Dabo

Bless you "jamiegarner" for fantastic post & feelings. UR OK

Sep 3, 2012, 12:02 PM

And, best of luck to your #####...til they come to DV.

GoTiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ooops...that's "jamie gardner"...with a "D" so excuse Me!

Sep 3, 2012, 12:03 PM

Ha!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2012, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Re: I am done...i am a lifelong SC fan but after seeing Hopkins ]

And they all go to Dabo's church? hmmm...sounds like proselytizing to me? Tell me? Why are football players not allowed to attend the church of their choice? There are plenty of them in Clemson.

Are other players who don't go to Newspring looked down on? Do they get adequate playing time? I know Bowden made negative comments directed towards two assistants who weren't Baptist(Burton Burns and Jon Lovitt) and then tried to laugh it off.

I guess freedom of religion doesn't matter in Clemson. Yes, I know let the attacks begin. GO TIGERS!

would burning witches on fridays before home games

Sep 3, 2012, 12:05 PM

be over the top?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

only if they float ...***

Sep 3, 2012, 12:35 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

who are you that are so wise in the ways of science?***

Sep 3, 2012, 2:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: who are you that are so wise in the ways of science?***

Sep 3, 2012, 7:49 PM

reps for the MP references...

Coots got a good point

Sep 3, 2012, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Re: I am done...i am a lifelong SC fan but after seeing Hopkins ]

Ole Ball Sac allowed Garcia to worship at whatever bar he wanted to.

Sep 3, 2012, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Re: I am done...i am a lifelong SC fan but after seeing Hopkins ]

^^^^^mad because his corn flakes tasted a little pisssy

since when can Dabo 'not allow' football players to attend a

Sep 3, 2012, 12:11 PM [ in reply to Re: I am done...i am a lifelong SC fan but after seeing Hopkins ]

different church or no church at all?

So many flaws in your aurguement

Sep 3, 2012, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Re: I am done...i am a lifelong SC fan but after seeing Hopkins ]

1. No evidence Dabo is forcing them to go to only his church, I'm sure he invites them with open arms but not forcing them.

2. you don't have any evidence that it plays a factor in PT.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

The majority of Clemson students go to Newspring. Some also

Sep 3, 2012, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Re: I am done...i am a lifelong SC fan but after seeing Hopkins ]

attend Crosspoint and Clemson Pres. But I can assure you that they aren't "forced" to attend there. It's just where "everyone" goes.

Not many black people go to Crosspoint and Clemson Pres either. I'd say that if you polled what church students attend, over 50% polled would say Newspring if they attend church.

So NewSpring is a fad...

Sep 3, 2012, 12:26 PM

and people go there because "it's the cool place to go". And no, MOST Clemson students DON'T go to NewSpring. There's no way NewSpring has 8000+ members. I don't understand the fascination with all these right-wing non-denominational "churches". Maybe people like easy answers and don't want to think in church. Plenty of students attend the "mainline" churches too. It isn't all about the right-wingers.

we all know that the other students who don't attend News...

Sep 3, 2012, 12:32 PM

...pring are not REAL Christians. LOL!

That certainly appears to be the attitude...

Sep 3, 2012, 12:37 PM

of many of the right-wingers. According to them, "real Christians" attend right-wing churches. If you aren't one of them, then you don't count.

Re: That certainly appears to be the attitude...

Sep 3, 2012, 12:41 PM

Where do you hear this from? I don't attend a church like Newspring but I've never heard anything like that from my friends that do?

I was told that years ago...

Sep 3, 2012, 12:45 PM

because I'm a member of Fort Hill Presbyterian, I'm not a "real Christian".

Re: I was told that years ago...

Sep 3, 2012, 12:48 PM

Who told you that? No church is perfect. There are uneducated people everywhere, and in every church. Whoever told you that was wrong. I went to NewSpring while I was a student at Clemson, and NEVER thought that about students who went to other churches. It was the right fit for me.

Re: I was told that years ago...

Sep 3, 2012, 1:12 PM

I went a few times when I was a student and realized it wasn't for me but Clemson First Baptist was.

Sep 3, 2012, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Re: I am done...i am a lifelong SC fan but after seeing Hopkins ]

You need to ask those questions to the players if you really care about the answer. Clemson students and basketball players, football players from Clemson were going to Newspring before Coach Swinney joined Newspring. Newsprings focus is on young people they have a lot of older members, but Perry Noble will tell you his focus and the churches focus is on getting young people to Christ.

Sep 3, 2012, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Re: I am done...i am a lifelong SC fan but after seeing Hopkins ]

Isn't NewSpring non denominational? If Dabo had an ulterior motive to his choice of church, why would he choose a non denominational church? Churches such as NewSpring are supposed to appeal to a larger group of believers, so it seems it would make sense for more players to go there than any other church.

I would bet you it is THEIR choice and no one

Sep 3, 2012, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Re: I am done...i am a lifelong SC fan but after seeing Hopkins ]

forces them to go anywhere. Dabo is a leader - we don't play follow the last guy - these boys, many of which have never had a strong father figure in their life, for the first time, meet grown men who show them emotion - affection and discipline. These young men in turn want to make these men proud of what they are doing. I like it!

Take the challenge

Sep 3, 2012, 12:05 PM

http://newspring.cc/give/challenge/

Sorry but when members wear shirts saying I LOVE MY CHURCH

Sep 3, 2012, 12:10 PM

it seems like they have their priorities in the wrong order

I wear an 'I love my tigers' shirt....***

Sep 3, 2012, 12:13 PM

Re: Sorry but when members wear shirts saying I LOVE MY CHURCH

Sep 3, 2012, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Sorry but when members wear shirts saying I LOVE MY CHURCH ]

The shirt is a conversation starter. It leads to the question, "Oh, where do you go to church?" or "Why do you love your church, what's that shirt all about?" which can begin the process of leading someone to Christ. To love one's church means to love Christ, I don't think priorities are out of order in this situation.

The Holy Spirit leads people to Christ, not individuals.

Sep 3, 2012, 12:20 PM

You would really hate the evangelism groups the church is

Sep 3, 2012, 12:23 PM

about to start. How dare Christians believe that evangelism is apart of the Christian walk.

I don't hate anything or anybody...

Sep 3, 2012, 12:25 PM

...I just don't believe religion should be used as a recruiting tool but again, it is the South where fried chicken, sweet tea, and the King James Version alone reigns. I get it!

Neither should discounts at hotels

Sep 3, 2012, 12:50 PM

But if it's what the kids are concerned with, why wouldn't you say "You're a religious person, you say? Well, I'm sure there's a place here where you can continue to practice as you like"

Clemson

Re: The Holy Spirit leads people to Christ, not individuals.

Sep 3, 2012, 12:25 PM [ in reply to The Holy Spirit leads people to Christ, not individuals. ]

People are facilitators in leading others to the Holy Spirit. Ever heard the term "fisher's of men". It is the ministry's job, as people, to lead others to Christ, lest we would have no churches and everyone would come to Christ, or not, on their own accord. That's not how it works my friend, people exist to spread the word of God and lead others to him.

yes and 38,000 different denominations later.............

Sep 3, 2012, 12:27 PM

.....you still argue among each other. MY GOD CAN BEAT UP YOUR GOD! LOL!

Re: yes and 38,000 different denominations later.............

Sep 3, 2012, 12:36 PM

I think you've missed the point.

^^^agreed

Sep 3, 2012, 12:53 PM

besides, the church is the bride of Christ. I'll happily wear a shirt that says I love Christ's bride.

and the point has been belabored, but players aren't forced to church, and its silly to say it factors into PT. Just asinine, you're fishing for confrontation.

Clearly, if there was something grossly wrong with the church, it wouldn't have reached so many, wouldn't have 9 campuses and 20K plus attend weekly, and 30K plus attend holiday services. Sure I can admit the church isn't for everyone, but it sure works for a LOT of people. You should simply be pleased people are being brought to the light in a way that speaks to them.

TigerXJ
Clemson University Class of 2007
UNC-CH SOM Class of 2011
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out and Thrashed, Screaming "Holy Shit What a Ride!!!"

GREAT POINT no wait - people are filled with the Holy Spirit

Sep 3, 2012, 2:10 PM [ in reply to The Holy Spirit leads people to Christ, not individuals. ]

and if those people never told anyone about it then that would mean .....oh no......people would never hear about it.......Proverbs says "He who wins souls is wise". Quote is from God so don't hate me.

The "Church" = God and fellow believers.. Our brothers and

Sep 3, 2012, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Sorry but when members wear shirts saying I LOVE MY CHURCH ]

sisters in Christ. The Church is not a building or any other material thing(s).

So when you see "I love my Church", understand that they are talking about their family.

Just thought I'd clarify. As a former Agnostic, this type of language went over my head- Back when I was lost in my own ignorance and selfishness.

Sep 3, 2012, 12:10 PM

Thank you for your post. There are more important things in life than football. We need more leaders setting the example and giving kids the foundation they may not have gotten at home.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2012, 12:11 PM

There are so many differences between Clemson and SC. This being one of them.
Heritage vs wannabe
Class vs none
Rank of the education itself
recruiting a better brand of athlete (not just sports based)
keeping commitments in recruiting (aka - Clemson honoring commitment due to medical issue - SC pulling commmitted recruits scholorships the day before signing day.)
Family feel vs groups of people.
Coaches you respect vs ones that use Greenville for a toilet.
Teams that have discipline vs ones that allow players to run the school (arrests -etc.) All teams have players who do silly things - the question is - what do the schools do about them? aka - Garcia and all the arrests - coaches - etc.
I guess each of us fits somewhere - as for me and mine - there is no place like Clemson.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2012, 12:15 PM

you forgot another one. cult vs open mindness.

Family atmosphere? What was it called when Danny was winning

Sep 3, 2012, 12:17 PM

LOL!!!

Re: Family atmosphere? What was it called when Danny was winning

As that was the era when I went there - I can speak to that. I went to Clemson due to that family feeling. Family feeling is not just about a sports team - it is about the university.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol. you're stupid.***

Sep 3, 2012, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Re: I am done...i am a lifelong SC fan but after seeing Hopkins ]

Sep 3, 2012, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Re: I am done...i am a lifelong SC fan but after seeing Hopkins ]

Do you really think you are fooling anyone Chicken boy?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I'm not the one proselytizing.

Sep 3, 2012, 12:33 PM

###

Sep 3, 2012, 7:34 PM [ in reply to Re: I am done...i am a lifelong SC fan but after seeing Hopkins ]

The biggest difference to me is an average of -21 points over the last three LONG years. Do you think Rev. Perry can help Dabo with that? If so, I'm "all in" with Newspring.

This is the pastor of new spring?

http://newspring.cc/give/challenge/

"Prosperity Gospel" at its finest.

Sep 3, 2012, 12:22 PM

###

he only makes $20,000,000 a year

Sep 3, 2012, 12:30 PM [ in reply to This is the pastor of new spring? ]

for his church.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2012, 12:23 PM

Didn't help in my situation when I was young.....felt pressure and guilt from peers, family etc.

Sep 3, 2012, 12:26 PM

There is that. Heck, I know atheists who makes better Christians than some self professed Christians.

time for a name change

Sep 3, 2012, 12:47 PM

to: Tigers35%life

such a sad person

20,000,000 for his church or himself?***

Sep 3, 2012, 12:34 PM

What is so funny about this conversation is that

Sep 3, 2012, 12:39 PM

This is the exact same one the players may end up having...scary thought....could get nasty....ughh

College students should argue about politics and religion

Sep 3, 2012, 7:48 PM

with their friends. It's part of the experience.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

huh? Joe, I believe you'd argue about anything***

Sep 3, 2012, 8:13 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very happy for Hopkins, and very proud of Clemson.***

Sep 3, 2012, 12:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

This is one smart Coot, he makes a great post knowing it...

Sep 3, 2012, 12:49 PM

will lead to a religion argument that divides Clemson fans

They really shouldn't make any recruiting accusations***

Sep 3, 2012, 1:13 PM

Clemson

cult

Sep 3, 2012, 7:39 PM

Check closely. this religion is a cult.
no intelligent person shives a git
they try to indoctrinate the children. why else, all those busses in front of the church

Go Darwin rah rah rah

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Welcome SC fan-Tiger fans please take your religious

Sep 3, 2012, 7:44 PM

debate to the lounge.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 61
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic