Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hurricane Harvey in the Houston area
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Hurricane Harvey in the Houston area

Aug 30, 2017, 9:29 PM

I don't know how the national media is portraying Houston and the surrounding area but I want to give a first hand account. I live in Pearland Texas which borders Houston to the south. We got 57 inches of rain over 4 days and many communities in the area got as much or more. Some communities are under water but even the ones that are not are trapped because the roads are under water. Some people have lost everything. The grocery stores are open 5 hours per day and the lines to get in are 2 hours long. Restaurants and other businesses are slowly opening with limited menu. The problem is that supply trucks are slow to come in because of the high water on roads.

The one thing that I can say that inspires me is that many, many people in the Houston area and beyond have volunteered to help. Some volunteer with their own high water trucks or boats to rescue people whose houses are under water and others volunteer and/or donate items to area shelters. I saw that at one point there were 2 volunteers for every one evacuee at one very large shelter.

I don't know when life will return to normal but I hope that in a few days I can get to a grocery store. Luckily I am not flooded and I have had power throughout the storm.

If anyone would like to donate to relief efforts, JJ Watts foundation is a great one (100% of proceeds go to the Houston area) or any charity of your choice. If not thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated.

If anyone has questions about what we are experiencing, I'll try to answer them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Devastating. Is the water subsiding or is it still raining?

Aug 30, 2017, 9:41 PM

Praying for you guys. I know a lot of charity
organizations are helping out. I sent some
money to the Red Cross. Some people question
the management of some charities, but if the
people hurting are being helped, we gotta do
something right.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Devastating. Is the water subsiding or is it still raining?

Aug 30, 2017, 9:49 PM

Thank you for your donation. I too donated to the Red Cross. Water levels are going down in my area. However, south of where i am, the rivers and bayous haven't crested yet. Hopefully the damage is minimal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2017, 9:55 PM

Less than 10% of donated money to the Red Cross actually goes to help people. Zero from Goodwill.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2017, 9:57 PM

That could be, but the Red Cross is here right now helping.

Re: Hurricane Harvey in the Houston area

Aug 30, 2017, 9:54 PM

Whole family is from Pearland and still lives there...stay strong

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my daughter....

Aug 30, 2017, 10:02 PM

is a pharmacist at M.D Anderson....she was able to get to work today....she was supposed to fly home today for a wedding but that was delayed until Saturday....I hope everyone helps out however they can

Re: my daughter....

Aug 30, 2017, 10:12 PM

I'm sure she is doing everything she possibly can. I heard that the airports are supposed to resume full operations on Saturday. I hope she can make it out.

Re: my daughter....

Aug 30, 2017, 10:38 PM

she and a friend took a bunch of items somewhere yesterday to donate to people

Re: Hurricane Harvey in the Houston area

Aug 30, 2017, 10:28 PM

My room mate from CU lives just north of Humble. He is on a bit higher ground and is ok for now. Many of his lower lying neighbors started getting water yesterday morning. The 3 roads out are flooded. They still had power and were taking sandwiches and drinks to rescuers. He said people showed up with anything that floats to help. Not original, but worth repeating. This is America not what happened in Charlottesville.

Our prayers and $$ headed your way Houston and the other areas affected.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic