Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So....My builder
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 343

So....My builder

Aug 18, 2014, 2:35 PM

Is going to let me run some low voltage wiring after the inspection and before they close up the drywall. It looks like I will have this weekend to work in the house. I will confirm in our walk through tomorrow, but he said he won't rip out anything that shows up mysteriously on Monday unless it's wired wrong. Looks like my project got a little more serious.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

is this about Ryland?***

Aug 18, 2014, 2:36 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OH man, you are going to royally #### something up and

Aug 18, 2014, 2:44 PM

have all of your electrical removed after inspection.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: wut's your project?***

Aug 18, 2014, 2:46 PM

Re: wut's your project?***

Aug 18, 2014, 3:19 PM

I was originally only running 2 speaker wires for rear surrounds in the basement TV room. Now I'm looking at some additional Cat6 and coax runs to rooms I cheaped out on initially ($150 a pop). I also want to run a chase from the basement utility room where low voltage distribution panel will be up to the attic for future proofing. I've never done this before but what could go wrong ;)

whatta ya mean by "let"?

Aug 18, 2014, 2:48 PM

Who's paying who?

use RG7***

Aug 18, 2014, 2:52 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

the Washington [team name redacted] QB?***

Aug 18, 2014, 3:02 PM

yes, he is good at wiring***

Aug 18, 2014, 3:39 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

nothing less than Monster Cables

Aug 18, 2014, 2:53 PM

and Monster Cables only

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Better order from monoprice ASAP***

Aug 18, 2014, 2:58 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

How's this stuff look?

Aug 18, 2014, 3:26 PM

Monoprice 102821 250-Feet 14AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Loud Speaker Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001WHZ9K6/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_2iL8tb0DDM4E7

C2G / Cables to Go 32591 Cat6 UTP Solid PVC CMR-Rated Cable, Blue (1000 Feet/304.8 Meters) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006ABUZI/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_hkL8tb1AXCHYQ

I have PRIME so I can get this stuff with 2 day free shipping. Might have to get coax local. Can't seem to find anything decent online.

Those look good to me. Be sure to pick up boxes from

Aug 18, 2014, 3:39 PM

Home Depot and route the cable to boxes. I'm unfamiliar with speaker wiring boxes, but I assume they would still be a standard single gang box (maybe double gang) depending on your faceplate and connectors.

Your Contractor is going to want to seem the completed homerun, so you need to have them through a box.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: Those look good to me. Be sure to pick up boxes from

Aug 18, 2014, 3:54 PM

> Home Depot and route the cable to boxes. I'm
> unfamiliar with speaker wiring boxes, but I assume
> they would still be a standard single gang box (maybe
> double gang) depending on your faceplate and
> connectors.
>
> Your Contractor is going to want to seem the
> completed homerun, so you need to have them through a
> box.

I'll have the benefit of seeing the builder and LV company's wiring this week so I can duplicate the boxes etc. I think the speaker wires are just coiled behind the wall with no box. The other stuff I'll run in shallow LV boxes if that's what matches.

I need to see how he wants me to terminate though. I'd be fine leaving them behind the wall, taking a crap ton of pics (no pigs), and routing out for old-work boxes and plates if that's easier for him. At the head end I don't know...maybe again I just run into a box before they drywall the ceiling in the utility room and then I can punch through to tie them in after we close. I think the 3rd party LV company might do the plating and tie in after drywall so he might want to keep the extra stuff behind the drywall to keep from ruffling any feathers.

But if he'll plate them and tie them into the distribution that would be even better. I'm just happy to be able to do some of this light stuff and not have to route them later.

Your user name is quite fitting***

Aug 18, 2014, 3:21 PM

Replies: 14
| visibility 343
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic