Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Howard's Rock and the Sireen
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 2,044

Howard's Rock and the Sireen

Sep 14, 2018, 6:57 PM

It was September 22,1966... a week before my 16th birthday... THE ROCK made it's appearance at THE HILL. We were playing Virginia, AKA "white meat"(rassist).We were down 35-17 with about a quarter left. Jimmy Addison, a skinny little dude, brought The Tigers back to a 40-35 win. After the game, as we "gathered at the Paw", the guys at the Physical Plant set off the steam whistle, which sounded like an air raid siren and today would have the candya33es wailing in terror and misery. We thought it was cool as s*^t..

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There too with my Father-in-Law and we almost left BUT

Sep 14, 2018, 7:11 PM

didn’t and wow what a comeback!

Years later my CU Freshman Son & I saw the record come back ever..at UVa (1987?).

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There too with my Father-in-Law and we almost left BUT

Sep 14, 2018, 8:07 PM

I was there for that one Bill. UVA fans just knew at halftime they had ended the streak. They didn’t know the butt hurt they would feel a couple of hours later

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was in Charlottesville for Clemson comeback

Sep 15, 2018, 11:07 AM [ in reply to There too with my Father-in-Law and we almost left BUT ]

what a game that was … the pain from UVA students and alums was palpable … fun for me as Va native with UVA buddies

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there on the sidelines, as a Clemson Cheerleader, and

Sep 14, 2018, 7:42 PM

the following year was at the top of the hill to lead the team down when the tradition of touching the rock began.

Hartins...

Sep 14, 2018, 8:34 PM

Always thought of you as a male - not female! and had no clue you were a cheerleader!

Just kidding man!

I'm still a cheerleader only from the upper deck!

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL.....Actually, I had never thought of becoming a member

Sep 15, 2018, 6:41 AM

of the team until our Hall Supervisor, who happened to be the popular Student Body President and a member of the team, asked me to try out early in my freshman year due to a vacancy.

Seems he had heard me yelling on the hall and thought I could handle the duties, which I did for three years.

Re: Howard's Rock and the Sireen

Sep 14, 2018, 8:14 PM

Blowing the whistle at the steam plant after a victory was a long time tradition. It was always painful when we lost and didn't hear the whistle. If the whistle was still available, it would have really gotten a work out since Dabo's been here, Maybe we should start a "BRING BACK THE WHISTLE" campaign.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 14, 2018, 8:25 PM

White meat was a phrase often used by coach Howard and it meant chicken. nothing racist about it!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 14, 2018, 8:35 PM

Mmmm breasts & wings!

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 14, 2018, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Howard's Rock and the Sireen ]

Play on words...Play on words...easy does it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 15, 2018, 8:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Howard's Rock and the Sireen ]

I had totally forgotten about that! Not sure when it stopped, but I do remember it sporadically while I was there. ('72-76) But, we did NOT win much during that stretch, hence the sporadic nature of the whistle.

Sep 14, 2018, 9:02 PM

That game was my first Clemson game. I was 5 years old. Now, I have not missed a home game since 1971. GO TIGERS.

Was a young HS student working in the concession stands for

Sep 14, 2018, 10:14 PM

that game making some money for the upcoming hollidays (not a lot of part time jobs in those days) and listening to game on a transistor radio someone brought.......I think one person stayed in the actual stand during the 4th quarter....there were very few customers--everyone was standing up inside watching the game!

"The Needle" became a Clemson legend that day!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and so do i!.thx.

Sep 15, 2018, 11:04 AM

I was at the uva game when they broke that LONG streak..did not know there was that thriller included in the domination.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Sep 15, 2018, 11:26 AM

I had to send this thread to my Dad who is friends with Addison. He said he just saw The Needle a few weeks ago.

Replies: 15
| visibility 2,044
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic