Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How much should it cost to replace a head gasket
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 2,866

How much should it cost to replace a head gasket

Feb 20, 2015, 8:41 PM

For a 4cyl 2008 Camry , my daughter has blew her car up? I know it's a lot of labor but I just got a quote for 1800. That sounds high to me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How much should it cost to replace a head gasket

Feb 20, 2015, 8:55 PM

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081006215048AAGRQXH

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 20, 2015, 8:56 PM

Replacing a head gasket is pretty much major surgery bc you have to remove the top part of the engine

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WNCTiger11

Feb 20, 2015, 9:24 PM

Sounds fair. Especially with a sideways motor. Can change one on a 350 small block in 2 hours with time to down a 6pack

Feb 20, 2015, 11:31 PM

:) Sideways motor? Now that right thar is funny.

A four cyl engine is a breeze (unless you don't know squat about engines or engine repair). I've done it on numerous engines, including my 67 GTO 400 V8, and my 02 Maxima (sideways engine). Yeah - the sideways Maxima made it hard to get to the plugs & bolts because that 6-cyl was close to the firewall.

But - keep up with ALL of your bolts and know EXACTLY where they go back. Torque down the bolts when finishing starting in the middle - working diagonally - outward to the end. Torque several times and don't try and torque all at once on any bolt.

Yeah - 1800 is freaking outrageous. I'm thinking a 200-350 maybe, but if I did it myself, it would cost the gasket, head repair, etc.

That being said - if she indeed "blew the motor", then you have more problems than a simple head gasket repair. If it just ran hot and the head gasket is leaking - go buy some Stop-Leak for a few $$$ to be able to drive it temporarily until you can get it fixed. Just take it easy and it might be okay for a while.

Good luck.

Feb 20, 2015, 9:29 PM

Potus should require that everyone have extended warranties on their vehicle so they don't have to endure these unexpected costs

About 4.0 Million after 11/28/15................***

Feb 20, 2015, 10:13 PM

What sport are we talkng? NASCAR?***

Feb 20, 2015, 10:23 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What sport are we talkng? NASCAR?***

Feb 20, 2015, 10:25 PM

Buy JMiller a 12 pack and see if he will do it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I replaced my own. It took me about 4 hours.

Feb 20, 2015, 11:17 PM

But that was on a straight six in a Jeep Wrangler, which is probably the easiest head gasket to get to of any model of vehicle.

$1800 seems high though for most average cars. I mean even if the labor costs $100 per hour, it should not take more than a few hours. The gasket itself can'tcost too much, it is just a simple piece of rubberized material.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Feb 20, 2015, 11:23 PM

Sounds about $1k too high to me unless there are other things that have to be replaced as well

The Camary has a transverse V6. To get to it, you probably

Feb 20, 2015, 11:30 PM

have to actually removee the engine and clear the body.

Yeah, that is an issue with a lot of modern engine cinfigurations.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: The Camary has a transverse V6. To get to it, you probably

Feb 20, 2015, 11:37 PM

The head sits right on top of the engine. I cannot imagine having to pull the engine to get to the head gasket (which sits between the head and the block). In this pic - it sits right under the black cover (VVT-1). Remove that cover and the plugs should be underneath, and are in the head. Remove the plugs and the head and replace the gasket. Piece o' cake.

Feb 21, 2015, 12:53 PM

Replacing the gasket is prolly not that hard. More than likely when a head gasket blows there is more damage. The timeing chain may need to be replaced and the heads machined. There is no way to know until the head is pulled. I no one thing I'm not going to try it. I will look around, I think I already found someone who will do it for 800.

Feb 21, 2015, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Re: The Camary has a transverse V6. To get to it, you probably ]

Just remove it huh.... frogot to remove the timing belt . Pulling the antifreeze out. Removing the oil. 1800 isnt that high but does the include changing the water pump while they are in there? Also some head bolts are torque to yield and can not be reused. the bolts alone are 70 bucks cost, head gasket kit including intake gaskets 150-200 depending on quality. Timing belt and pump. 150 ish depending on quality. Timing belt cover gasket 30 bucks. Any head repair needed? Can be 100-600 depending. And would say they should replace plugs. 60-100 if you go NGK . Then add the techs hourly wage, insurance, workers comp, the light bill, oil, antifreeze. The lease on the building ect..... they have to make a profit or no car shops would be out there........ I say try to do it yourself for less then 500 bucks doing it correctly.

Feb 21, 2015, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Re: The Camary has a transverse V6. To get to it, you probably ]

Just remove it huh.... frogot to remove the timing belt . Pulling the antifreeze out. Removing the oil. 1800 isnt that high but does the include changing the water pump while they are in there? Also some head bolts are torque to yield and can not be reused. the bolts alone are 70 bucks cost, head gasket kit including intake gaskets 150-200 depending on quality. Timing belt and pump. 150 ish depending on quality. Timing belt cover gasket 30 bucks. Any head repair needed? Can be 100-600 depending. And would say they should replace plugs. 60-100 if you go NGK . Then add the techs hourly wage, insurance, workers comp, the light bill, oil, antifreeze. The lease on the building ect..... they have to make a profit or no car shops would be out there........ I say try to do it yourself for less then 500 bucks doing it correctly.

Feb 21, 2015, 1:11 PM [ in reply to Re: How much should it cost to replace a head gasket ]

True sounds like there are other issues with the engine. Or you're dealing will a crook.

Feb 21, 2015, 1:09 PM

It cost about that for my 4 cylinder honda. It sucks lol

Replies: 17
| visibility 2,866
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic