Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A little math....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

A little math....

Sep 12, 2012, 4:44 PM

Do you really think 3 home ACC games vs ND (and that is a good year) will bring in more tv money to each ACC team than the money they make from the lost home game every 3 years? Duke, Wake, BC, tobacco road? Absolutely, this is awesome for them. For those of us who bring 60k or more to a home game this a terd of a deal.

And you guys keep saying that this is going to increase our tie ins but why? A bowl doesn't need a tie in to the ACC to invite ND. ND is independent. They can incite them now. This agreement simply says that bowls that already have a tie in can accept ND in the place of an ACC team. Why would a bowl lock themselves into an ACC tie in if they don't need to in order to invite ND?

You guys are really blinded by those shiny gold helmets and need to wake up. This is a disaster for the ACC football schools.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How can you say that? ND saved the Big East

Sep 12, 2012, 4:46 PM

Oh wait

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How many Big East games did Notre Dame agree to play each yr***

Sep 12, 2012, 4:49 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How many Big East games did Notre Dame agree to play each yr***

Sep 12, 2012, 4:53 PM

and what does that do for us?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How many Big East games did Notre Dame agree to play each yr***

Sep 12, 2012, 4:59 PM

and ND has played Big East teams every year...

2008 - 2
2009 - 2
2010 - 1
2011 - 2

2 out of 8 teams is 25%....
5 out of 14 teams is 35%.....

Not much difference....

0 is the correct answer. Next question is how many teams

Sep 12, 2012, 5:03 PM

has the ACC lost to the Big East over the last 10 years?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 0 is the correct answer. Next question is how many teams

Sep 12, 2012, 5:51 PM

That's not even relevant to the discussion that I posted. I'm not comparing the big easy to the acc and never have.

They never had the chance. Swoffie has been raiding the Big

Sep 12, 2012, 4:51 PM [ in reply to How can you say that? ND saved the Big East ]

East for how many years now ?

It's a silly superficial comparison to compare the Big East

Sep 12, 2012, 4:53 PM

and the ACC.

Some of these guys sound like the gamecock fans I'm hearing from. That just reinforces to me that this is a good thing.

ugh

Sep 12, 2012, 4:48 PM

i have gone from excited at the headline to depressed over the details

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A little math....

Sep 12, 2012, 4:49 PM

I would say it's YOU that needs to wake up. "You can't see the forest for the trees" in this situation IMO. You have to look past this week's game with Furman and look at the long-term. This is for a very long time. Notre Dame is huge. I know this is going to be hard for you to swallow or accept - but Notre Dame is BIGGER than CLEMSON. Yep - I said it. Flame away - but you're just spitting in the wind if you argue that point.

But try and look past anything that will happen in the next few weeks - or next few years. Look 20 years down the road and you'll see a better picture. Today was HUGE for the ACC. Every conference knows it too. You need to get out more.

Peace out - and relax. We're going to be kicking some Irish butts for a very long time. :)

Re: A little math....

Sep 12, 2012, 5:01 PM

No one has ever argued that Clemson is bigger than ND...

If ND never joins the ACC in football (and they won't) then there is no forest....just a desert....

Message was edited by: CUAtTheFinishLine®

Our TV deal is giving us $17 mil a year

Sep 12, 2012, 4:54 PM

ESPN already reporting adding Notre Dame will bump it to $19-20 mil a year.

Bowl Tie ins mean the bowl games we play in and our opponents. Having Notre Dame as an option will open up better bowls to want to sign agreements with us. Bowls can't invite Notre Dame if they have agreements with other conferences, which ALL do. That's why Notre Dame has always been bundled in the Big East's bowl contracts. That just shifts to ACC now. How do you think the Big East landed the Gator Bowl back in the day?

If you do a google news or twitter search you'll see nothing but positive press about this move for the ACC. It's like the perception is changing in the blink of an eye. That's how important Notre Dame is.

Re: Our TV deal is giving us $17 mil a year

Sep 12, 2012, 5:03 PM

So ESPN is going to increase the contract by 3 mil due to at the max 3 games vs ND....I don't see it...

Nor do I see bowls tieing in with the ACC just to try and get ND on a good year and hope like hell they don't accept another bowl invite....

Yall are getting pretty dang delusional over this...

On TV they've been saying $20 mil now but here

Sep 12, 2012, 5:08 PM

is a post from earlier. https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/245929834860122112

Instead of calling people delusional, how bout just doing some research and see what's everyone is writing about. ESPN, CBSports, FoxSports, Sportingnews, SI, NBCSports, ACC beat writers, etc. It's all out there. I, along with others, are just repeating what's being reported. This stuff isn't made up.

Sep 12, 2012, 5:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Our TV deal is giving us $17 mil a year ]

Revenues from the ACC television deal with ESPN are likely to increase to as much as $18 million per school, just behind the $20 million deal per school the Big 12 recently signed. Sources told ESPN.com's Darren Rovell that the Notre Dame football TV deal with NBC is worth around $15 million per year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2012, 5:54 PM

The 15 ml contract is old. Its going way up from there. I don't see ESPN tacking on a bunch of money because that might get lucky to broadcast ND vs UVA, WAKE and Clemson.

gamecocks don't like it.***

Sep 12, 2012, 5:05 PM [ in reply to Our TV deal is giving us $17 mil a year ]

An an independent....

Sep 12, 2012, 5:14 PM [ in reply to Our TV deal is giving us $17 mil a year ]

would the bowls really need a tie-in to the ACC in order to invite Notre Dame and would Notre Dame get to keep 100% of the bowl revenue?

This could have a dramatic impact on the ACC's revenue stream.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Notre Dame would need a tie in with a conference to get

Sep 12, 2012, 5:18 PM

a non-bcs bowl invite. For instance, the Chick fil a bowl couldn't invite Notre Dame b/c it is an ACC-SEC game. Every bowl has a conference agreement so they can't invite Notre Dame. Right now Notre Dame had an agreement with the Big East for their bowls. Now they've switched to the ACC. Without it they would've been screwed leaving the Big East. As for the payout. They won't be splitting the ACC's bowl pool, but I'm not sure if the ACC gets any of the Irish's.

Therein lies a potential problem....

Sep 12, 2012, 5:37 PM

Let's say Notre Dame get the ACC's spot in a BCS Bowl and Notre Dame retains 100% of the bowl revenue. That would equate to a $20 million hit to the ACC's revenue pool.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

This is for Non-BCS bowls only

Sep 12, 2012, 5:56 PM

Notre Dame is on its own in the BCS and can only be in the Orange Bowl as an at-large.

Wrong

Sep 12, 2012, 6:04 PM [ in reply to Notre Dame would need a tie in with a conference to get ]

In 2011 ND played FSU in the Champs Sports bowl which has an acc/big10 tie in.

In 2010 ND played Miami in the Sun Bowl which has an ACC/Pac12 tie in.

Neither had big east tie ins of any sort or neither used the ACC. ND took the spot of two diff conferences neither of which were the ACC or big east.

ND does not need an ACC tie in to play in bowls that have tie ins with other conferences. If they can, other bowls will invite ND and ND can accept and they have the last two seasons.

What you say is just not correct. Bowls will not come knocking just because of this agreement. It just isn't going to happen. There's no reason for them to.

I'm not wrong, but good try

Sep 12, 2012, 7:15 PM

The Champ Sports, now Russell Athletics bowl has been a Big East/ND vs ACC matchup since 2010, thus Notre Dame was selected. You're correct on the Sun Bowl conference matchup, but of course in 2010 the Pac 10 had only a couple bowl eligible teams so they couldn't fill the game. Obviously when that happens the bowl can then pick anyone.

Please don't try to call me out unless I'm actually wrong (it does happen!). Thanks :)

No, YOU'RE WRONG

Sep 12, 2012, 7:22 PM [ in reply to Wrong ]

Notre Dame went to the 2010 Sun Bowl because that bowl usually gets the #4 Pac 12 team. There wasn't a 4th Pac 12 team eligible for a bowl game that year, so they could have picked anyone. Who could blame them for picking Notre Dame?

ND went to the 2011 RUSSELL ATHLETIC BOWL (formerly Champs Sports Bowl) because it's Acc vs Big East OR NOTRE DAME.

So Notre Dame did have tie-ins with the Big East, just like it now will with us. This will help the ACC, and could get us the Gator Bowl back which is one we all hated to lose.

Exactly.

Sep 12, 2012, 9:44 PM

I could see us getting the Gator back plus one or two more. Plus the fact that we now have leverage to up the TV deal. Plus the fact that ND will never join any conference except the ACC. It's a good thing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Sep 12, 2012, 8:08 PM [ in reply to Our TV deal is giving us $17 mil a year ]

So NBC pays ND 15 million a year for all their home games and ESPN is going to pay the ACC 42 million for 2 or 3 games with ND???

That's what's being reported

Sep 12, 2012, 8:16 PM

NBC is paying $15 for 8 football games. ESPN is paying *around* $200 mil just for ACC football. Add up their total payout for college football and what's $42 mil?

Re: That's what's being reported

Sep 12, 2012, 9:31 PM

If $42 million for 3 games is nothing why doesn't ESPN just give it straight to ND for the rights to all their home games as an independent once the NBC contract is up??? That would apparently be a deal for ESPN since they are willing to do it for 3 games, and it would be a home run for ND since it would be twice as much as any other program is getting. The 3 million per team extra for ND just doesn't make sense or add up for me.

They could certainly do that too, but if Notre Dame

Sep 12, 2012, 9:48 PM

was a member of the ACC it would guarantee more of the road games would be on their network too. They'd like to have them locked up totally. Going to ESPN on their own could certainly be a possibility though.

Re: They could certainly do that too, but if Notre Dame

Sep 12, 2012, 9:58 PM

True, but ESPN already has contracts with all the other major conferences so more than likely all of their road games would be on ESPN anyway.

Pac 12 and Big 12 have Fox as their primary network

Sep 12, 2012, 10:15 PM

ESPN gets 2nd choice from them. Be prepared to watch Notre Dame vs Oklahoma at 8pm on Fox this year.

also reports are Big East might be going to NBC Sports

Sep 12, 2012, 10:17 PM

Network. So that'd be 3 of the big 6 conferences on other networks.

Mathification

Sep 12, 2012, 5:55 PM

They are not independent for bowl games other than if they qualify for a BCS game. At least the way im reading it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

63-17

Re: Mathification

Sep 12, 2012, 6:07 PM

Not true. ND is not obligated to go to an ACC bowl. If the capitol One came calling and the chick Fil la did as well, ND is going to the Capitol one. The agreement simply allows acc bowls to invite ND over ACC schools so long as ND only has one less win of one more loss.

Sep 12, 2012, 7:38 PM

Wrong. ND shares our tie-ins. See posts from myself and tigerinvegas above

Sep 12, 2012, 7:51 PM

door= slam

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

63-17

Sep 12, 2012, 9:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Mathification ]

I don't think you're right about that but if that's the case then we really just got screwed.

Sep 12, 2012, 9:58 PM

3) Will Notre Dame be a part of the ACC’s bowl selection process?

Yes, but only in bowls below the BCS level.

Notre Dame will retain its sovereignty in the Bowl Championship Series process. So it’s possible Notre Dame and the ACC champion could meet in a BCS bowl, logically the Orange Bowl.

If Notre Dame doesn’t qualify for the BCS, which will expand to a four-team playoff format for the 2014 season, it will be a part of the ACC selection process.

“They will basically become an ACC team in our bowl structure and bowl lineup,” ACC Commissioner John Swofford said.

That means, in theory, the Chick-fil-A Bowl in Atlanta or Belk Bowl in Charlotte will have the opportunity to select Notre Dame instead of an ACC team. In theory because the ACC’s bowl partners, other than the Orange, will change for the 2014 season when the BCS expands.

Notre Dame will have to be ranked higher or within one of the eligible ACC team to jump them in the bowl order, Swofford said.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/09/12/3525534/5-questions-about-acc-notre-dame.html#storylink=cpy

Yep. Doesn't benefit us at all.***

Sep 12, 2012, 7:06 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well the bot said barker was the catalyst....what are they actually saying?***

Sep 12, 2012, 7:24 PM

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic