Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fellow no-maskers.....a question...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 67
| visibility 1

Fellow no-maskers.....a question...

Apr 29, 2020, 10:23 AM

What is the level of stink-eye that you get from the masked while out in (essential) public?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I haven't noticed any so far

Apr 29, 2020, 10:29 AM

I wisha Mfer would though, I got some rage built up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In fact, here is the exact question I would pose to someone

Apr 29, 2020, 10:35 AM

who wanted to be a martyr....If you are in say, a 20'x20' room with 4 other people, and 2 of them have COVID, how certain are you your mask would protect you from getting it?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do the 2 with COVID have masks on?

Apr 29, 2020, 11:05 AM

If so I would feel more confident about not getting it than if they didn't. The mask-wearers should be wearing them to protect others, not themselves. But as this society often does, the masses misunderstand things and run out to grab masks to protect themselves. They actually aren't very effective at protection FROM the bat flu it's to prevent spreading it in the case that you have it and aren't aware.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Say the ones with COVID are wearing one

Apr 29, 2020, 11:23 AM

But like so many other people they aren’t wearing gloves, and are constantly messing with their mask. I understand the principle of it, but I’ve seen people pull down their mask to sneeze.

wouldve cost a FORTUNE to train SC residents on how to mask***

Apr 29, 2020, 11:26 AM

Well, then they really aren't wearing one if they are

Apr 29, 2020, 11:26 AM [ in reply to Say the ones with COVID are wearing one ]

being idiots about it, are they?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Zero %. But, are they wearing a mask?

Apr 29, 2020, 11:18 AM [ in reply to In fact, here is the exact question I would pose to someone ]

Masks help not spread the virus, they don't protect the person wearing one much.

So if they are wearing a mask, then, yes it would help.

TIA.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Zero %. But, are they wearing a mask?

Apr 29, 2020, 1:22 PM

I've got an MSA full-face mask with filters for most hazmat chemicals. Even been fit tested yearly to make sure it seals on my face. We now have Scott masks at work so I actually have two. Haven't worn them but I bet I could get some looks if I did!

Let me provide a scale.....zero to ten

Apr 29, 2020, 10:31 AM

With 0 being a look of borderline admiration for your masculinity and courage, and 10 being a look like you had just lit a cigar in the middle of a neonatal intensive care unit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

-3 all day***

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

-7 all day******

Apr 29, 2020, 1:38 PM

Absolutely none.

Especially considering maybe about only 10% are the ones wearing a mask. Many reports are coming out that there multiple times more people that have already had it/ are immune to it. The measures we took were over exaggerated. Probably necessary for cautions sake, but my biggest issue is how quickly the constitutional rights were taken and how willingly we, as a whole, gave them up. This is not good and very well shows the end of the Republic is getting closer as it was bound to happen.

Again, for me, it comes down to "safety" being a higher priority than "rights."

Wow. It’s probably 80% masked here.***

Apr 29, 2020, 10:32 AM

Yeah, I went to Lowes the other day...

Apr 29, 2020, 10:36 AM

hard to find a parking spot, and like I said, maybe 10% were masks. Some of them were even half hearted attempts not even covering the nose probably worn by a guy that wore it because he is one of the ones with the million mile stare that Lakebum so eloquently crafted.

I'd say it's mostly the 75yr+ crowd in masks I see

Apr 29, 2020, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Wow. It’s probably 80% masked here.*** ]

but I think Oconee County just passed 20 cases total in 6 weeks. That's 20 total SICK people, not deaded. Not even 1 per day. Pretty obvious this flu has not become a big issue here. The tornados have been a much bigger worry.

I do have a pseudo-mask, it's a fishing neck gaiter. I wear it around my neck just in case somebody beetches at me, I at least can show something saying "I care". And it's kinda cool looking snakeskin pattern. I don't have a "real" medical mask to wear.

It’s funny. The reaction in S.C. is just completely

Apr 29, 2020, 10:45 AM

Different. Here, you see errybody wearing them, even 25 year old Bubba bassboat with the lifted F-150 and Calvin peeing sticker.

I find it depends largely on the store.

Apr 29, 2020, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Wow. It’s probably 80% masked here.*** ]

Publix it's probably 80-20 in favor of masks. Sam's about 50-50. Lowes, about 10%.

Noticed ALL employees of all those stores wore masks though. That's a big change.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I went to Greenville or Columbia I'd wear one for sure

Apr 29, 2020, 11:07 AM

as a function of the concentration of illness cases. In the Clemson Ace Hardware, I'm not gonna bother. In the Woodruff Road WalMart, you betcha.

Kinda like where you conceal carry your gun.

Local Lowe's has a sign asking people to only enter if

Apr 29, 2020, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Wow. It’s probably 80% masked here.*** ]

they're masked - but it's not a by law request so we went in without them asking if it was okay and they said yes. 90% of the people in there were masked. I think I'm going to bust out a neckie for whenever I go out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I'm not sure anyone's constitutional rights have been

Apr 29, 2020, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Absolutely none. ]

violated. Kinda seems like a weak argument, really.

I'm agreeing with IU?

Apr 29, 2020, 10:51 AM

What is going on?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Apr 29, 2020, 11:54 AM

Must be my time.

The government deciding which businesses were being closed?

Apr 29, 2020, 1:03 PM [ in reply to I'm not sure anyone's constitutional rights have been ]

Thats no unconstitutional? You cant gather in groups? Thats not unconstitutional? You cant travel without permission. Thats not unconstitutional?

What am I missing here?

Re: The government deciding which businesses were being closed?

Apr 29, 2020, 1:13 PM

No more sechsual relationships with relatives

This is a pretty silly take.

Apr 29, 2020, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Absolutely none. ]

Every bit of precaution taken is temporary, and basically nobody is being jailed for violating orders (with a few notable exceptions of people who intended to make scenes and get cuffed). Maybe when the dust settles, we decided we overreacted--the predictable paradox/dilemma. Maybe the next germ that rolls around kills 40% of infected, like Ebola, and is just as contagious as CV19, and we underreact, based on CV19. Either way, viruses have a pretty universal disregard for constitutional rights in particular countries.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My main issue was with the gov’s/mayors who

Apr 29, 2020, 11:11 AM

Banned even innocuous parking lot/stay in your car church services. Getting a little unconstitutional there.

Like the Idiot De Blasio going after the Jews like Hilter***

Apr 29, 2020, 11:49 AM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

I mean, that's fair, common sense needs to be applied

Apr 29, 2020, 11:56 AM [ in reply to My main issue was with the gov’s/mayors who ]

in situations like that. But again, it's temporary, none of these orders are going to be permanent.

My parent's church went to live stream which was pretty cool, I helped my parents be able to cast it to their TV.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Again, the infectious rate is starting to be multiple times

Apr 29, 2020, 1:08 PM [ in reply to This is a pretty silly take. ]

higher than what they originally thought. And studies are starting to prove that it was much more widespread than initially thought before anything was being done to quarantine. I would say that is an over reaction. Caution will dictate that over reaction is better than not, but that doesnt change the fact that this was an over reaction to this strand.

And again, my fear is the ease with which everyone gave up many constitutional rights. It will be easier for the government to do more drastic measures next time they feel the need to do so.

WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE THINK THE BIG BAD GOV'T IS OUT

Apr 29, 2020, 1:14 PM

TO JUST TAKE THEIR RIGHTS?

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Control.

Apr 29, 2020, 1:31 PM

You dont think Republicans or Democrats want to maintain control of everything? You dont think that Republicans are trying to do things to limit the minorities ability to vote in any "legal" way possible? You dont think Democrats are trying to get where illegal immigrants can vote easier?

They will do what they can for control... both sides.

Control what, though? How do Republicans or Democrats

Apr 29, 2020, 1:44 PM

have "more control" when people are cooped up at home and not working, vs. being out working? How does it help them? What are they controlling, exactly? I don't think either party wants to tank the economy, even if some people believe it's a Dem conspiracy to defeat Trump in November.

I get that it's temporary rules we don't like, but I'm not seeing that the government has any more measurable power than they did in February.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just taking one subject...business.

Apr 29, 2020, 1:54 PM

The government just put into place something that restricted some people to be able to work and not for others. That is control and people capitulated fairly easily.

I am assuming you agree with me about both sides wanting to maintain control of all branches of government. Now armed with that information, do you think the next opportunity either side had they wouldnt try to hurt the other sides power. For instance, if Republicans could do something to harm Soros' wealth in some way, would they? Or would the Democrats try to financially harm the Koch brothers in some way?

If one side could financially harm the other side's way of funding campaigns, they would. At least, I believe they would. And this pandemic was an unintended blueprint of how to do it.

busy body people on a power trip aren’t always logical***

Apr 29, 2020, 3:42 PM [ in reply to Control what, though? How do Republicans or Democrats ]

Lulz.

Apr 29, 2020, 4:11 PM

Did you just refer to me as a busybody on a power trip?

What power trip am I on? I just think our republic is on its last legs and like to speculate how its final demise will happen. I like looking at history and try to fit our situations into historical cycles. This was a huge limiting of constitutional rights of people, temporary or not. I am speculating how one side will try to use what they have learned from this situation to try to gain sole control. Which will lead to complete turmoil and then a leader that a vast majority of people trust will come out with all the power being backed by the people. Its government cycles. I played it out a little in my response to IE down below.

I'm not talking about you, I'm just offering 19B a 'why'

Apr 29, 2020, 4:23 PM

Why do Karens everywhere complain about things that have no impact on them? Why do some people get pissed when you don't do what they want, even though it it has no bearing on them whatsoever?

Some people are just like that, they want power. They want to be able to tell you that you can't do that, and it makes them angry if they can't. It's not logical, some people are just that way. And I think many of those people are drawn into politics.

How can you OVER react before the information is available?

Apr 29, 2020, 1:17 PM [ in reply to Again, the infectious rate is starting to be multiple times ]

Erred on the side of caution, perhaps. but one can only react to what they know, and since we knew very little, how can you say they OVER reacted?

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Well, looking back.

Apr 29, 2020, 1:26 PM

You can easily say an act was an over reaction to something.

I have apologized for a reaction I had to someone for not knowing all the facts. The way I responded was understandable for what I knew of the situation, but later, after learning more of what was going on... I am sorry, I over reacted.

And, I basically said the same thing.

Apr 29, 2020, 1:28 PM [ in reply to How can you OVER react before the information is available? ]

I think we are discussing semantics. I basically said caution will force you to over react because that is better than under reacting.

fair enough.***

Apr 29, 2020, 1:39 PM

Oh, and you dont have to be jailed to have your rights

Apr 29, 2020, 1:14 PM [ in reply to This is a pretty silly take. ]

violated. Government deciding which businesses were able to stay open is highly unconstitutional... who has the right to work and who does not.

What was silly about my take?

Apr 29, 2020, 4:47 PM [ in reply to This is a pretty silly take. ]

I made an observation of how several constitutional rights were taken from us and we gladly gave them up in the name of safety.

I went on to say that you almost have to respond in that way (over react) because if you under react the results could be vastly more grievous.

Quite honestly, communistic countries are setup much better to handle crisis than republics because they can do whatever they deem necessary to end the crisis. Using your example of a highly contagious (covid-19) combined with highly deadly (ebola) the North Korean government could say we are going to carpet bomb this city and kill everyone because the country as a whole could not withstand the onslaught if it went rampant. That would probably be the most effective, most certain way to stop the spread of something like that. That would, rightfully so, in no way shape or form happen in our current government.

My only point is rights were taken without much pushback. Those in power will take note and try to use it in any way possible to further increase their power. That in turn will complete the end of our republic... I believe this will happen in about 2-3 generations from now.

End of the Republic? Taken Rights? JFC people,

Apr 29, 2020, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Absolutely none. ]

chill the fuck out. Everything doesn't have to be so damn extreme.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its not extreme. The republic has been on a decline for

Apr 29, 2020, 1:22 PM

quite some time. It is fairly typical of how long republics last (200 years historically). We are what... 40-50 years overdue. Ours was constituted really well to preserve it as long as it has been, but again, it is nearing its end. At no point did I say the reaction to the coronavirus is what is causing the end of it... the governments response and how we as a people responded is just another indication of it being close to being over.

Some sort of dictatorship is the natural sequence after a republic. I heard both sides saying that was a fear that they had. "I wouldnt be surprised if Obama didnt try to do away with the term limits for presidency." "We gotta get Trump out of office before he makes himself King Trump." Eventually, that thinking will start to be more prevalent and one side will pull the trigger on it because they "know" thats what the other side will do. Better do it first before the other side has a chance.

Will it happen in the next 5 years... no. Will it happen in my lifetime... possibly. Will it happen in my childrens lifetime... I would be surprised if it didnt.

Meh..you'll prob be dead by then anyway.

Apr 29, 2020, 3:34 PM

And debt will take us out as a country a long time before we get a king.

Highly likely on the debt.

Apr 29, 2020, 4:01 PM

That is typically how the dictatorship replaces the republic. A crisis so severe cripples everything and people want someone in charge who will handle things really well. That is how the dictator gets established... vast majority of people want that one person in charge because they trust him/her. And typically it is a good person with good intentions and the dictatorship is ran much better than the last years of the republic.

Then, after a while, sole power gets too enticing to the greedy and eventually a tyrant is in place. Then several groups of people are unified in bringing the tyrant down and they come together to overthrow the dictator. Then probably an aristocracy of the different leaders of the different groups of people. After that, I think it generally starts heading back to a republic/democracy... dont remember how that typically comes about though. Probably something similar with the way the dictator goes to tyrant... the greed for power. People revolt against the aristocrats and set up a people's government.

I do understand the whole "slippery slope" thing. But I think

Apr 30, 2020, 5:57 PM

it sometimes get massively exaggerated. I remember my ex-BIL about 10 years ago. Nice guy, quiet, reserved, deacon at church, Masters degree, CPA, coke bottle glasses, etc. Probably never fired a gun in his life. But he started listening to late night AM radio shows and Rush Limbaugh. Like... obsessively. Bought into all of it 1000%. Started talking about "Obummer's a comin' to git our guns!" and all that crap. Him and his son both went out and got pistols, AR-15's, high capacity magazines, etc.

I made a passing comment at a family get-together... so, how's the gun collection coming along? He grinned smugly and said - I told you so, you can't even find any ammo now, it's all sold out. They couldn't take our guns, so they're limiting ammo production.

I just let it go. I didn't have the heart to tell him - no, it's because idiots like you believe everything you hear and read on the internet. Ammo is hard to find for the same reason milk and bread are sold out when they predict snow in upstate SC. It's not because there is none, it's because people like you ran out and bought boxes and boxes. You just temporarily overwhelmed the supply chain. When they catch up, there'll be plenty.

I talked to his wife after that and she admitted... he's never touched any of those guns, and he'll probably have to toss that ammo, it very damp in the garage and the boxes are going soft.

Point being, everything is not a slippery slope. Just because some folks think everybody on the planet doesn't need an AR-15, or for that matter, a box of grenades nor a Sherman tank... it doesn't mean they want to confiscate everybody's hunting rifle. That's just a crazy exaggeration. It's not necessarily an attack on the 2nd amendment.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

what do you expect from a new yorker***

Apr 29, 2020, 4:41 PM [ in reply to Absolutely none. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Yeah, this area is basically mask free.

Apr 29, 2020, 10:36 AM

Sharkgirl bought us some that just arrived yesterday. Maybe we'll wear them, maybe we won't.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You’re so vain:

Apr 29, 2020, 10:42 AM

I don’t wear them either. No stink eye yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQZmCJUSC6g

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

7***

Apr 29, 2020, 10:47 AM

I have an old N95 mask that I had bought for using the leaf

Apr 29, 2020, 10:50 AM

blower. The straps are all worn out and stretched thin and it's pretty #### dirty. I wear that to the grocery store but about half the time I forget it.

But only about half the folks in there at any given time are wearing masks. Nobody follows the unidirectional aisles at Publix.

I really haven't noticed any weird looks.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not allowed to go into a store here without a mask on

Apr 29, 2020, 10:52 AM

~75ish percent of folks are wearing them outside.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fresh Market is the only store in SC I've seen with a policy

Apr 29, 2020, 10:57 AM

that says you can't come in without a mask.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

our ABC stores only allow 10 in at a time BUT

Apr 29, 2020, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Not allowed to go into a store here without a mask on ]

you have to stand in a line outside to get in. lol

uhhhhh

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Soon mandatory in airports & airlines. But y’all OK ...

Apr 29, 2020, 11:15 AM

In your trucks!

No issues so far not wearing one _ although I have a very nice orange one with a Clemson Paw that my daughter in NY made and sent.

Really no issues if masks become mandatory in some situations especially high density indoor settings.

Costco just announced face mask requirement

Apr 29, 2020, 11:25 AM

for Monday May 4th.

Every store is going to have to go this route to try to protect their employees imo.

zero, none of my drinking buddies wear the either***

Apr 29, 2020, 11:43 AM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Only from old people who aren’t wearing a mask and refuse

Apr 29, 2020, 11:48 AM

to practice the distancing thing in the grocery store. Rude as hell as always, running into me and expecting me to move.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I feel like if we want to open things back up,wearing a mask

Apr 29, 2020, 11:50 AM

to lower the possibility of transmission from an asymptomatic person to others, is the best (only?) way to go.

Figure, may as well get used to it.

This is what helped China get over it

Apr 29, 2020, 11:51 AM

but they probably shoot people who do not wear a mask.

I'll just give them the evil eye.

;)

Obed - this may be your one opportunity in life

Apr 29, 2020, 12:16 PM

to go full tactical shemagh in public.

I urge you to take advantage.

none too many unmasked to stink everybody***

Apr 29, 2020, 12:37 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fellow no-maskers.....a question...

Apr 29, 2020, 1:04 PM

I got a lot of stink eye and then I wasnt allowed into CVS once, so I carry a bandana.

I wear a ball gag, get alot of weird looks

Apr 29, 2020, 2:56 PM

BUT IT'S FOR THEIR PROTECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wore this to Lowe's the other day

Apr 29, 2020, 3:40 PM

nobody said a word.

Gotta stay safe out there, never know what people

Apr 29, 2020, 3:53 PM

might have.

Replies: 67
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic