Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Say her name.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 589

Say her name.

Aug 14, 2020, 4:48 PM

Say her name, Lebron.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/08/13/lebron-james-say-her-name-its-agnes-chow/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The NBA is China's #####. They dare not speak ill of China

Aug 14, 2020, 4:51 PM

Silver laid down the law the last time the players stepped out of line.

Money > Social Justice.

Hypocrisy abounds.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The NBA is China's #####. They dare not speak ill of China

Aug 14, 2020, 4:56 PM

I don't understand this.

Aug 14, 2020, 5:12 PM [ in reply to The NBA is China's #####. They dare not speak ill of China ]

I don't follow the NBA either. I know it's hard to believe since I don't make it a point to bring it up every time the NBA is mentioned. But I'm outta the loop on this.

I'm genuinely asking. How are they in cahoots with the Chinese? Why is that sentiment so prevalent?

I'm clueless too

Aug 14, 2020, 5:16 PM

I don't like the nba or the commies

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I doubt i'll ever watch a game again. At least for the

Aug 14, 2020, 5:37 PM [ in reply to I don't understand this. ]

foreseeable future.

So the NBA wants to expand to China. It's a cash cow. The Chinese like basketball.

Last October they were there doing exhibition stuff. The GM for the Houston Rockets tweeted in support of the democracy protests in Hong Kong.

China immediately pulled NBA games from TV, removed merchandise, threatened to remove all the players from their country.

The NBA immediately bowed down to China and begged for forgiveness.

So here, in the US, equality is paramount and 'BLACK LIVES MATTER' is on the courts. Players can wear jerseys with names and slogans. And if you don't let them, they'll sit out the season, etc.

Meanwhile China has crushing communism, and tried to get an extradition bill passed to extradite anyone who protests for democracy. Not a problem for the NBA, just give us our money.

The almighty dollar is more important than true equality and justice.

Makes sense. I could see why there is frustration there.

Aug 14, 2020, 7:34 PM

I had heard about Lebron's comments on the Hong Kong deal but it seems there's a little more to it than that. Thank you for taking the time to run it down.

Houston Rockets manager Daryl Morey spoke out in...

Aug 14, 2020, 5:57 PM [ in reply to I don't understand this. ]

support of Hong Kong's resistance to the CCP taking over there. He was admonished by someone and backed away from the statement. Lebron played down the situation in Hong Kong. I'm guessing perhaps you know that Hong Kong was the standard of free speech in the region.

Evidently the markets in China mean more to the social justice warriors in professional sports than liberty and freedom for those who are oppressed by the Chinese Communist Party which rules China.

Imo, the oppression there makes Cuba during the Che and Castro takeover look like a child's tea party. The CCP has reeducation camps which house estimated 1 million muslims for being faithful to their god.

Here we are arguing over trivial political topics and none seem to small for us. Hong Kong is losing its freedom to the most oppressive government on earth right now.

It is a big deal when people like Lebron, Nike, Kapernick and other prominent sports figures kneel against the one flag on earth which flies as a symbol of freedom then stands for the one flying over the most oppressed.

I don't keep up with the NBA either. I try to keep up with politics though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is good context.

Aug 14, 2020, 7:35 PM

I MIGHT be a little more up in arms if I thought this was idealogical more than it was, as ClemsonZJ said, about the almighty dollar.

I do get the frustration.

It’s money...

Aug 14, 2020, 9:17 PM

Why does the NFL play in Mexico City and London? So the players can have a vacation? No. It’s money.

NBA China is worth an estimate $5 Billion.

The television rights to broadcast NBA games are currently under a 5-year, $1.5 Billion contract.

300 Million Chinese people play basketball.

Many of the NBA superstars have deals with Chinese apparel companies worth tens of millions each. They make trips over there each year to promote themselves and the NBA.

Like so many things, it comes down to money.

You think the NBA is going to take a moral stand when billions and billions of dollars are at stake? Not likely.

Stand with Enes Kanter. Go Celts:

Aug 14, 2020, 7:31 PM

https://www.vox.com/world/2019/11/13/20941804/enes-kanter-nba-turkey-erdogan

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bet Erdowan doesn't want to frack with him in person...***

Aug 15, 2020, 2:48 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Say her name.

Aug 15, 2020, 3:13 AM

I think it's great the NBA makes a fortune through China. It helps the USA. Perfect.

Re: Say her name.

Aug 15, 2020, 9:48 AM

If it wasn't so evil it would be funny. Money is the exact motivation for professional sports figures taking a knee on the field and promote freedom and liberty in America too. Somehow I don't feel that's odd. It's really kinda normal for people to care more about their stacks than human rights.

Replies: 13
| visibility 589
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic