Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Honest discussion on Watson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Honest discussion on Watson

Sep 29, 2015, 9:55 AM

that can't be had on the mange.

The ND player that said Watson wasn't a top 5 qb, I'd agree imo.
Even if he was playing a little better, imo he doesn't seem to have that take over a game feel.
He's great when he has time, but if thing break down, I don't see that IT factor from him.
Also, even though he has made a lot of downfield passes, they seem to float. Without Williams to go up and grab those, it's not as effective.

Even if his numbers are really good until he goes to the NFL, I don't ever seem him being drafted before the 5th round. Most likely a 6th round pick imo.

He'll be a good one for us most games, but I don't see him able to pick apart the good defenses.

Now everyone proceed to tell me how much an idiot I am ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I mean, he had surgery on his knee 9 months ago***

Sep 29, 2015, 9:57 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

point taken, but I even thought this last yr

Sep 29, 2015, 10:00 AM

By far our best qb last yr and he did really good things, but I don't even think he can carry a game even like Boyd did. He's a better thrower than Boyd overall, but in a crunch Boyd seemed to carry the team on his back. I don't see that with Watson.

Again, dont take it as I think he's bad, but I don't think he's a Heisman top 5 qb either.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Knee surgery, completely new offensive line

Sep 29, 2015, 10:11 AM

new coordinators...I'm not sure Peyton Manning would be comfortable at Clemson at this point.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The two new OC's are my largest concern.

Sep 29, 2015, 10:13 AM

I don't see how these two are going to come in and seamlessly replace Chad Morris.

Offense looks slow to me.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Part of that is how the OL struggles.

Sep 29, 2015, 10:22 AM

A really great coordinator can hide some of that with play calling. I think we have tried to do some of that, and keep it simple for the freshman OL that we have. We'll see how much they grew up on Saturday.

You could definitely see the "hiding" we were doing

Sep 29, 2015, 10:27 AM

against Louisville. Tons of "extended hand offs" WR screens and short passes.

RH Tig makes a good point...the OL really isn't very good

Sep 29, 2015, 10:16 AM [ in reply to point taken, but I even thought this last yr ]

Our offense is completely reliant on the run game being the first threat and it's been a real struggle for them this year.

Also Mike Williams' injury has really hurt this offense as he was our deep threat

You're kidding right? Charone Peake is faster than Jesus.

Sep 29, 2015, 10:17 AM

And he's soooo tall.

So 200 yards rushing against the best

Sep 29, 2015, 10:28 AM [ in reply to RH Tig makes a good point...the OL really isn't very good ]

team we have faced is struggling? I really don't think I am watching the same games as you folks.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gallman is very much the second coming of Ray Priester.

Sep 29, 2015, 10:35 AM

Not really great at any one thing, but tough as nails and just refuses to be stopped. Go back and watch how many yards he gains AFTER contact...without the benefit of blockers. And, go back and watch how many times we run up the gut and there is no daylight there because we're not getting a push.

they've been pretty good at run blocking but not so good

Sep 29, 2015, 10:37 AM [ in reply to So 200 yards rushing against the best ]

on pass protection. Watson was on the run against app state pretty good. Loisville he didn't need much time since all he did was those quick sideline passes most of the game.

Re: point taken, but I even thought this last yr

Sep 29, 2015, 11:08 AM [ in reply to point taken, but I even thought this last yr ]

> By far our best qb last yr and he did really good
> things, but I don't even think he can carry a game
> even like Boyd did. He's a better thrower than Boyd
> overall, but in a crunch Boyd seemed to carry the
> team on his back. I don't see that with Watson.
>
> Again, dont take it as I think he's bad, but I don't
> think he's a Heisman top 5 qb either.

did you happen to watch Boyd against scar and fsu at all?

IMO you look like more of an idiot than that Oned guy on the

Sep 29, 2015, 9:57 AM

Mange will look while his buddies are carting him around DV on some hand trucks

See SC game for how he can take control of one.

Sep 29, 2015, 10:01 AM

See Appt State TD that went some 200 yards in the air for arm strength. See Great college QB has jack #### to do with NFL. Some teams do well with NFL QBs on their roster. See Boston College. Some seems still suck eggs. See Ole Miss with Manning.

Some colleges failed to even play arguably the best NFL QB ever. See Michigan.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...Watson wasn't a top 5 qb, I'd agree imo.

Sep 29, 2015, 10:06 AM

Good point, Mackey.

Re: Honest discussion on Watson

Sep 29, 2015, 10:11 AM

while he hasn't looked All World for 60 min and I see your point, I've also seen Ohio State's two headed monster struggle. Boykin looked rattled to me some against TT. He won't be perfect all the time and I know you know that. I wonder how much different it is for him now that The Chad is gone. He recruited him. He groomed him. He coached him up on the sidelines. How different is Gameday and at every practice for him now just from coaching standpoint?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He would be under Chad Morris. Chad was a good QB

Sep 29, 2015, 10:17 AM

coach. He has the talent. I fear we don't have the skill at the QB COACH position to maximize Watson's impact on the field.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's got great passing skills, he is great at looking off

Sep 29, 2015, 10:21 AM

defenders, and has been mostly good at throwing people open (throwing it so the receiver can go get it.) I just think losing Williams takes away his go to guy down the middle and on fades. There have been enough drops to hurt his numbers. His terrible gag at the end of the Louisville game on the pass to Leggett, man, that was one that we just haven't seen him screw up.

I think the law of averages is coming into play for him, and he probably does miss Chad, too. He just needs to keep on keeping on. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

He did throw this one against App State

Sep 29, 2015, 11:11 AM

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/clemson-football-watson-throws-ball-60-yards-for-td-acc-must-see-moment/vp-AAedxhe

But he did have some floaters at Louisville

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We'll see by the end of the year...

Sep 29, 2015, 10:26 AM

I think having limited playing time in the first two games hurt him from a preparation standpoint. I also don't think he has much confidence in his receivers, or at least the timing is not there. He seems out of sync with his receivers. I'm not seeing good routes or blocking down field.

I'm much more concerned about why Davidson is our 2nd string RB.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I may have been one of the only people associated with the

Sep 29, 2015, 10:32 AM

program that thought NEXT YEAR was the one to get hyped about, not THIS year. Granted, I had defense pegged as one of the weaknesses that we'd face, but I knew from the start that if Hyatt was starting and Fruhmorgen was getting significant snaps, we were going to pay the price for that.

I agree with this. I think the shiny schedule

Sep 29, 2015, 10:38 AM

is what really got people worked up over this season. I think the D exceeding expectations has fueled that fire.

Rarely, has the D exceeded expectations.***

Sep 29, 2015, 10:40 AM

Not when I coordinate the D***

Sep 29, 2015, 10:41 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My D always exceeds expectations***

Sep 29, 2015, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Rarely, has the D exceeded expectations.*** ]

So it's your palm wherein the failure lies?***

Sep 29, 2015, 11:01 AM

I feel sure he asked nicely to not be confronted

Sep 29, 2015, 11:04 AM

with his failures, he is aware of them.

Since you just staked claim to 2016, I would like to go

Sep 29, 2015, 1:41 PM [ in reply to I may have been one of the only people associated with the ]

ahead and be the only person saying that 2022 is going to be THE year. Anyone else saying this now is jumping on my bandwagon. Mark it down....2022.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree completely. Not since Kyle Parker ran down the hill

Sep 29, 2015, 1:44 PM [ in reply to We'll see by the end of the year... ]

as a junior has a player been as out of place based on merit as Davidson has.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have no evidence of this other than a hunch

Sep 29, 2015, 11:05 AM

but I tend to wonder if the hype got to his head a little bit this year. I wouldn't even blame him for it, he's what, 19? He just seems to start off very slow and be off with his throws, luckily it seems like he's found some rhythm as the games go on, but he's not going to have that luxury this week.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like his mental stability - he doesnt get

Sep 29, 2015, 11:09 AM

rattled they way so many do when they throw pics or get sacked or get down

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i agree and he seems to understand the game well.***

Sep 29, 2015, 11:13 AM

^^^THIS^^^

Sep 29, 2015, 11:14 AM [ in reply to I like his mental stability - he doesnt get ]

That is huge for ANY college QB. The rest will fall into place, but I'm not sure I'll be greatly disappointed if this is not his Heisman caliber year. Too many holes that he has no control over.

I will play the Mange game

Sep 29, 2015, 11:12 AM

He threw 2 INTs against Syracuse. The first one was a very good play by the db. Watson should not have thrown it, but he has made that throw several times before (maybe not in double coverage - but with the db's back to the ball).

The second INT, he was hit on his follow through, Scott fell down, it happens.

There's a reason he was ranked as a Heisman contender and top-5 qb and scouts are watching him at practice. He's pretty freaking good - and young.

the scouts also said the Aub QB was a Heisman

Sep 29, 2015, 11:14 AM

contender. That worked out well. ;)

Sep 29, 2015, 2:15 PM

Just an opinion, but Watson's success is predicated on his ability to run effectively. It opens up his passing game. Thus far, he has not run the ball with the authority of the few games he played last year. The coaches must put him in situations to use his wheels. If he gets injured, next man up

2024 free_orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think to run the ball effectively at this level, Watson

Sep 29, 2015, 2:23 PM

needs another 25 pounds.

Dude looks like they're serving Slimfast in Schilletter.

Only in the veg/vegan line***

Sep 29, 2015, 2:24 PM

ROH

Sep 29, 2015, 3:02 PM

Throwing hard is only maximized when all four limbs are used.

Assume a right handed QB.

The throwing arm is obvious. The left arm is jerked toward the opposite shoulder. This rotates the upper body counter clockwise looking down.

The step forward by the right leg pushes the hip forward. The planting of the left foot and push of the left leg rotates the hip backward which means the entire lower frame of the body is rotating counter clockwise. This force it transferred and increased through the trunk.

Each of these factors are components of power but are just as important in controlling location of the trajectory of the ball which includes the vertical path. When one component is favored, throwing is called aiming. Aiming is only accurate with a barrel and a sight.

In his last interview he discusses the coaching management of this stage of his recuperation. It's clear he's physically 100% but obvious the coaches are trying not to push him too far or too quickly beyond his comfort zone.

I've never dealt with a kid who is recuperating from such an injury so I'm not going to tackle the mental part of the issue. I've heard it takes six months for an ACL surgery to heal and six more for the mental part. Maybe he's not superman.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree with you on your talent evaluation...

Sep 29, 2015, 3:05 PM

Watson is as talented as any QB out there. And I'd say he showed some "IT factor" against South Carolina last year. Then again, the dude hasn't even started a whole season yet, so I'm willing to be patient.

Where I'd caution people on all the optimism is that his really big numbers were against bad defenses. He was basically injured or not ready to play (according to the coaches) against every defense with a pulse that we faced. So maybe some of his numbers from last year were inflated.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic