Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Here is Chris Fowler's rant on Ganeday about the "$EC Bias"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 3,496

Here is Chris Fowler's rant on Ganeday about the "$EC Bias"

Oct 27, 2014, 10:14 AM

for those who missed it

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/10/25/7069739/chris-fowler-gameday-s-e-c-s-e-c-s-e-c

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

he dont make cents to me***

Oct 27, 2014, 10:16 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He trying to make dollars for the SEC....***

Oct 27, 2014, 10:18 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think his point was a good one...

Oct 27, 2014, 10:18 AM

that ESPN would benefit from there being great teams from all over the country, not just in one region.

I do think he was overly emotional and defensive. I don't think ESPN needed the rant. But it was good TV.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think his point was a good one...

Oct 27, 2014, 10:21 AM

How? How does that benefit ESPN? They make so much more on SEC games... They benefit MOST from people watching SEC games.

He cant even make that rant without talking about how dominant the SEC has been.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As he said, SEC fans will watch whomever is playing...

Oct 27, 2014, 10:23 AM

It's the fans in Big 10 country and out west, that become disinterested if the teams in their region aren't great.

He actually, to me, seemed a little bit in angst about the SEC dominance.

OH the irony

Oct 27, 2014, 11:40 AM

So while his network continues to pump up the SEC at every turn, they, by necessity, diminish the value or ranking of "those other" teams across the country. He is on a rant about how he thinks ESecPN would benefit with more parody while at a SEC game saying how dominant the SEC is....right.

At the end of the day, it doesnt even matter what he says. The actions of the network speak louder than words. And lets not make Fowler out to be COO of ESPN... if this is what he honestly thinks, thats fine, but I do not, for one second, believe that is the opinion of the bean counters and executives that actually call the shots.

Then ESPN should have equal contracts with all the power

Oct 27, 2014, 11:18 AM [ in reply to I think his point was a good one... ]

conferences.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why would they do that?***

Oct 27, 2014, 11:21 AM

All the conferences aren't worth the same amount of money.***

Oct 27, 2014, 11:21 AM

He sounds like Obama***

Oct 27, 2014, 10:19 AM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: He sounds like Obama, without teleprompters***

Re: Here is Chris Fowler's rant on Ganeday about the "$EC Bias"

They have a product..The SEC network and they want to push that product in the open market and yes, all attention given that product, even negative, is good. They do have an agenda, maybe not a bias, but they are "in bed" with the SEC, in my opinion.

The SEC network is such a small portion of their products...

Oct 27, 2014, 10:27 AM

Why would they try to push the SEC Network, at the expense of ABC/ESPN at large?

"Sports Reporters" on Sunday AM did a similar rant

Oct 27, 2014, 10:22 AM

they railed a bit on the SEC, then spent just as much time - or more - pointing out that they were ESPN employees railing on the SEC, and see, we aren't totally biased towards the SEC; and see, we can say bad things about them.

Memo has apparently been circulated at the eSECpn office.

SVP and Rusillo did a segment on it today, as well.

Oct 27, 2014, 3:18 PM

If this is coincidence, then certainly they are sloppy about the appearance of an internal directive to address this head-on. Ignoring it has not made it go away, because even if it's false, the appearance of it is so strong that it will be suspected.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe if E$PN would get their corporate affiliations out of

Oct 27, 2014, 10:25 AM

college sports, then people would not feel this way. If they profited so much from all the other conferences, then why is their not an ACC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12 espn network? Why are they not contributing millions of dollars to those conferences?

Without the bias, even if that is made up, which it is not, they still give an advantage to the SEC with their mega network deal.

Maybe seeing this CONSTANTLY

Oct 27, 2014, 10:25 AM

Doesn't help? It IS the SEC/ESPN network. It is in their best interest $$$$$$$$$$

Then why were they not at Michigan vs Michigan St?***

Do you not think they should go to the biggest game

Oct 27, 2014, 10:29 AM

regardless of conference? Do you think Michigan-Michigan St. was a bigger game than LSU/Ole Miss?

Pretending there were no conferences, which game would you have picked as the biggest for this past weekend?

You mean like the NDSU vs Incarnate Word game?

Oct 27, 2014, 11:28 AM

I agree that was a bigger game than Coots vs. Dawgs.

Deny It Enough And It Will Become Reality***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree Chris,

Oct 27, 2014, 10:41 AM

so stop sucking every SEC team's johnson every single Saturday. Stop telling us that LSU must be great because they beat Ole Miss, who beat Bama. Hey, here's a thought, maybe none of them are that good.

stop using "SEC xxxx" as some sort of magical superlative

Oct 27, 2014, 10:47 AM

does Vandy have "SEC Speed"? Yes, by default they do, as they are a SEC program.

does SCAR have a "SEC Defense"? Why yes they do. It's #115 out of 128 in the country.

does Florida have a "SEC Offense"? Yup.

Oct 27, 2014, 2:05 PM

What Fowler and all the other ditto heads at ESPN refuse to acknowledge is that they lost all credibility the minute ESPN jumped into bed with the SEC to form the SEC Network.

The fact is, ESPN stands to make $$BILLIONS$$$ off of their arrangement with the SEC, and if Fowler can’t see how this might influence how the SEC is promoted on that network, then he either has his head up his rear or he’s just plain stupid.

Oct 27, 2014, 3:01 PM

If you want to be in journalism, then be in journalism: avoid bias, present the facts to let your audience draw conclusions, and move away from conflicts of interest.

If your financial success is tied to the subject matter on which you're reporting, don't pretend that you can be objective despite that. You cannot.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

Oct 27, 2014, 2:48 PM

nm

I agree...

Oct 27, 2014, 4:00 PM

and if the play off was today, would like to see something like.

Bama, FSU, Oregon and Mich state.

He's right. It's silly, but there is no point whining about

Oct 27, 2014, 4:12 PM

it on Gameday. People are going to continue to whine about the SEC bias until the SEC isn't the best conference any more. The South owns college football. The SEC proves it on the field. The Big 12 looks like the closest contender, but Kansas State and West Virginia both lost at home to one-loss SEC teams. SEC still reigns. We lost to UGA. None of the top half of the SEC has lost to a OOC.

Why is it so hard to accept that the South produces the best college football. Is ESPN biased towards the West Coast in the NFL?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

brent mesburger showing no bias

Oct 27, 2014, 4:16 PM

“Somebody said we’ve got SEC bias,” Musburger said. “Deal with it. They’re the best.”

Look at the primetime schedule for this Saturday night

Oct 27, 2014, 4:41 PM

ESPN - Auburn - Ole Miss I understand this one being in primetime
ESPN2 - Miss State - Arkansas Primetime?
ESPNU - Vandy - ODU Really?

So far I think most PT games on ESPN and ESPN2 have involved SEC teams

Replies: 30
| visibility 3,496
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic