Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FWIW - Joel Klatt on preseason polls
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

FWIW - Joel Klatt on preseason polls

Nov 14, 2019, 2:32 PM

First off - I can't stand him, ok? But I follow FoxSports on Twitter & his spewing there fuels my hate-filled afternoon and keeps me awake at work as I seethe over whatever he said or did to slight my teams.

But he makes a valid point about pre-season and early season polls.

<###### async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He may be right this once, but

Nov 14, 2019, 2:35 PM

He's still full of horseKlatt

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: He may be right this once, but

Nov 14, 2019, 2:38 PM

Yep but his point about narrative and early season perceptions effecting ranks even into November is a valid point.

Re: FWIW - Joel Klatt on preseason polls

Nov 14, 2019, 2:46 PM

I have always agreed with his one point that ONLY Conference Champions are allowed to be in the CFP, which still leaves one out. It would eliminate all the season discussion about a possible 2 or 3 SEC teams being allowed to play in the CFP. I can almost see that happening in a rare scenario.

I agree with his premise, but Bama also beat Texas AM

Nov 14, 2019, 2:47 PM

who is 6-3 and 3-2 in the SEC. So that's 2 teams that they have played in conference with a winning record.

All that said, Minn should for sure be #3 or #4 based on the committee's own rankings of, specifically, Penn St.

And then Penn St should also be the highest ranked 1 loss team based upon the committee's own rankings.

Really weird and it will mostly work itself out, but all the preseason stuff plays a huge impact.

He just summarized why Clemson fans have a beef about SEC

Nov 14, 2019, 2:56 PM

It's the preseason hype that falsely elevates then keeps SEC teams elevated even when they lose to fake elevated SEC teams. He's right about Minnesota. I actually like his ranking board. Seems reasonable to me.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

8 teams. Only solution. Because at least once every

Nov 14, 2019, 3:29 PM

few years, you will have 5 or 6 teams that could possibly win it all. As it stands now, and may keep standing, we have 5 right now. Good argument for Minnesota also. Maybe 6. There has never been EIGHT teams who anyone thinks could win the natty. But on many years, you may have 5 or 6. I'm not going to give a hoot about who's on the bubble with 8 teams. Right now Bama is on the bubble and UGA is in. They're about equal teams IMO. If this was the last week, we'd have a problem because Bama certainly is capable, with only a loss to LSU, of making it to that final game, even if it is against LSU again.

Now imagine for a second we didn't win the natty last year and embarass the best Alabama football team to ever grace the Earth.....where would WE BE? If you're going based on JUST this year, with our record standing by itself, bama is ahead of us even with a single loss to undefeated #1 LSU. I mean who have we played any better than LSU? And then poor old Minnesota, they're undefeated, and beat a top 5 Penn State.

4 teams will not last. And yes, that's another game that will have to be played. So drop a regular season game for all schools. They've added two over the years, PLUS conference championships now. We can lose one Wofford or Charlotte game to gain an 8 team playoff. I'd be fine with that.

If this was the final poll, I'd want Minnesota and Alabama to have a shot. At this point, with their records, they each deserve one as much as anyone short of OSU and LSU.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FWIW - Joel Klatt on preseason polls

Nov 14, 2019, 4:16 PM

Conference Champions, leave out the conference with the worst OOC record (as a conference).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

No thanks. I would rather not have Clemson's playoff

Nov 14, 2019, 4:31 PM

hopes determined by how crappy ACC teams perform out of conference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic