Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Guess I can't say "Dual THreat" any more
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,265

Guess I can't say "Dual THreat" any more

Aug 18, 2016, 8:34 AM

who knew?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How about "double down"

Aug 18, 2016, 8:46 AM

is that still ok?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Guess I can't say "Dual THreat" any more

Aug 18, 2016, 8:55 AM

They used the term 'triple threat' back when we had single wing. The term applied to being able to run, pass and punt as our tailback regularly did. So I think D. Watson was a little off to think it may be a little derogatory - I see it as a compliment.

Aug 18, 2016, 9:07 AM

Love the guy more than anything but when you run for over 1,000 yds, that tends to happen

I honestly never thought of "dual-thread QB" as being a racist remark either. In my eyes, it's always been complimentary. Now it's got me wondering if "pro style" is racist toward white quarterbacks? I really wish we, as a people, would stop limiting everything to black and white. If I'm looking for a quarterback for my team in today's game, I'm looking for a dual-thread quarterback and it has zero to do with what color his skin is.

"Dual-threat" (sorry fat thumb / iPhone woes)

Aug 18, 2016, 9:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Guess I can't say "Dual THreat" any more ]

You have a point. If Watson is a dual-threat, then Hunter Johnson should be a dual-threat too. Johnson is a track star, and a 4.7 40 time is not bad for a 6-4, 200lb QB.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2016, 9:33 AM

My thoughts exactly. Sounds like Cam might be rubbing off on Deshaun a little with that one. Racism sucks but not everything is about race.

Aug 18, 2016, 10:01 AM

First of all, as a white dude, I feel comfortable saying that white dudes in general are very poor judges of what does (and what does not) constitute racism in regards to non-white people.

Do I think most people that think "dual threat quarterback" mean anything negative? No. But keep in mind that racism isn't just being negative, it's making assumptions based on race alone (ie, "black people fast, white people slow"). But the assumption is often made that a black quarterback can run, and therefor is "dual threat". Further, they assume that if a QB can run, he can't throw very well. Now we know that isn't the case with DW4, but he's talking about his years in high school where he was putting up state-record numbers, and people still looked at him and assumed he couldn't throw.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=DUAL
http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=PRO

Look at these lists and tell me if you see a pattern?

What makes this more interesting is that I just read some comments about Hunter Johnson wondering why he's listed as "pro" when he's just fine running over/around people with his legs. So yes, you could say that making the assumption that he can't run because he's white is also a form of racism.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^This^^^^

Aug 18, 2016, 10:11 AM

+1

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i don't care what color a QB is, but when you're the 1st....

Aug 18, 2016, 9:08 AM

4000 passer/1000 runner in a season.........sorry, you ARE a "dual threat"

I agree with DW4 100%...

Aug 18, 2016, 9:47 AM

The "dual-threat" label gets slapped on almost every black QB coming out of High School. They don't even take the time to look at the QB's skill set before using that label. It's a code word that generally implies that the QB is a "run first guy, can't sit in the pocket and go through his progressions".

Same thing happens to white guys who play WR. They automatically get labeled "slot guys" before anyone actually takes a look at their skill set.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,265
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic