Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gregg Marshall rejects Alabama
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Gregg Marshall rejects Alabama

Apr 2, 2015, 1:22 AM

Apparently, Bama/SEC is not the be all, end all for everyone.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20150401/NEWS/150409926/1015/SPORTS?Title=Gregg-Marshall-rejects-Alabama-offer-staying-at-Wichita-State&tc=ar

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Gregg Marshall rejects Alabama

Apr 2, 2015, 6:30 AM

Marshall must be waiting on Clemson to offer or are we planning to offer Smart? Maybe this will help some understand that the basketball hierarchy is different than football. On second thought probably not.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd Like To See

Apr 3, 2015, 7:16 PM

As an Indiana fan and a Brownell fan (and therefore Clemson fan too), I'd like to see Bama hire Crean, Indiana hire Brownell, and Clemson hire the best of the rest. All winter I read on this board how great Purnell was and what the good old days were like - go get him maybe? Regardless, Marshall ain't taking any of those jobs. Brownell's gonna win. I wish it was in Bloomington but if it isn't, then I'm happy for it to be in Clemson.

Other than Kentucky and sometimes Fla and every now and

Apr 2, 2015, 7:21 AM

then when some other program get's hot for a few years (Arkansas under Nolan Richardson) basketball is an after thought in the SEC.

Marshall wanted the Texas job, but Texas backed off because they had concerns about his attitude & personality, and they did not want to get bidded up by Bama. Bama was willing to go $4+m/year while Texas was not wanting to go much over $3m. I don't think Marshall was ever hot for Bama, but they were the perfect program for Marshall to use as leverage with Texas and Wichita State.

Wichita State is in many respects a superior basketball job than Bama. Short of getting the Texas job, Wichita State stepping up and paying Marshall BIG money was the best outcome. For the foreseeable future he will be the first guy mentioned for every top job opening and he knew that. Ergo, with Texas backing off, the priority was to get more money from WSU and be happy and patient because far bigger & better jobs than Bama are coming his way.

That being said, Wichita State stepped up HUGE and his new guarantee is $3.3m/year. That is significant because that contract just eliminated quite a few programs that would have had a shot at him the next few years. The odds of Gregg Marshall EVER leaving Wichita State just got small. Real small. They took money pretty much off the table. The only way I can see him ever leaving WSU now is if the money is in excess of $4m/year AND it will have to be a very special program, such as Kansas, Indiana, UNC, Duke, Kentucky, etc.

null

Re: Other than Kentucky and sometimes Fla and every now and

Apr 2, 2015, 7:56 AM

He is at a basketball school he won't leave now unless it's to a traditional basketball power, duke kanas, ucla, unc

Rumor is Coach Cal is going to the NBA......

Apr 2, 2015, 8:04 AM [ in reply to Other than Kentucky and sometimes Fla and every now and ]

Would UK want Marshall or do they go after an even bigger name coach?

Since his first stint in the NBA was SOOOOO successful***

Apr 2, 2015, 8:25 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

That's why he wants back.......

Apr 2, 2015, 9:39 AM

Coach Cal wants to prove that he can coach in the NBA. Just because you fail one time, does not mean you should not keep trying. What more does he have to prove at the college level? If UK wins the next two games and goes 40-0, what else is there to accomplish at UK?

He could try actually graduating his players***

Apr 2, 2015, 9:46 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

He already turned down Cleveland and LeBron***

Apr 2, 2015, 9:47 AM [ in reply to That's why he wants back....... ]

null

Check your facts........

Apr 2, 2015, 9:57 AM

He turned down Cleveland while LeBron was still undecided (and looking like he was going to stay in Miami) about where he was going to play.

Not according to LeBron***

Apr 2, 2015, 10:05 AM

null

Who has done more at a program not named UNC, Duke, etc. ?

Apr 2, 2015, 9:27 AM [ in reply to Rumor is Coach Cal is going to the NBA...... ]

The Indiana job may be open within a year or two. Other than the handful of basketball powerhouses, what school has a coach that has been better than Gregg Marshall? Billy Donovan has had a few bigger opportunities, but simply used them to fatten is contract at Florida. Gainesville is great and Donovan is very happy there. Once you get a big contract at Wichita State or Florida and know you have a great job for life as long as things don't blow up there are only 6 or 8 jobs big enough to pull you away. Even then it's about ego because you have more security where you are. Some want that challenge, some don't. The guys at Butler and Gonzaga probably wouldn't leave either.

null

You'd think Bama would really have a higher ceiling

Apr 2, 2015, 7:53 AM

long term. You would be starting over but he is so well respected that recruiting would be just as easy at a name school like Bama if not easier than witchita.

You could sell knocking Kentucky as one of your goals. You could pretty easily get to the big dance although the conference is about to get significantly better with some of the hires.

I'd have gone to Bama but who knows. I like the south east. Maybe witchita is a great place to live. Really no clue.

It's not Bama vs Wichita for Marshall, it's Bama vs

Apr 2, 2015, 7:58 AM

one of the elite programs that's going to hire him at some point over the next few years if he's patient and stays where he is.

With the contract he now has I doubt he ever leaves. He has

Apr 2, 2015, 9:44 AM

put Wichita State up there with Butler and Gonzaga.

UNC and Duke will go with alumni. Cal prolly won't leave Kentucky again. Gregg's family would not be interested in LA and frankly UCLA ain't what it was. I doubt he'd be interested in Michigan and Michigan State has Izzo till he retires. That pretty much limits any relatively soon openings at programs that could be tempting to Kansas, Louisville, and Indiana. Pitino is getting up in age. Not sure he'd leave Wichita for Kansas, 's a jerk, but loyal. And he's already doing better at Wichita than Indiana.

I think the odds are pretty good he retires at Wichita State.

null

Calipari is probably even odds to coach in the NBA again

Apr 2, 2015, 10:10 AM

I'm not sure he's the kind of guy to stay in one place for a long time so no matter how great things are at UK with him, he could still easily leave in the next few years. More rumors leaked out again a week or two ago saying Cal "desperately wants to coach in the NBA again."

Marshall is still just 52 which is relatively young in the head coaching world. His career could last another 15-20 years, and while they have been successful recently, it's still Wichita State and it's still a mid-major program. How often do coaches like Marshall stay at a program like that long-term and not move on? The closest parallel i can think of is Mark Few at Gonzaga, but unless Marshall decides he wants to try to turn Wichita St into the next Gonzaga (mid-major that really isn't a mid-major anymore aside from conference), i have a hard time seeing him staying there long-term.

There are only a few programs that are realistic options

Apr 2, 2015, 10:42 AM

for Marshall and the timing would have to be perfect for all parties. I honestly think the odds are very good that Donovan and Marshall retire at Florida and Wichita State.

Cal is unpredictable. Part of why I think he'll stay at Kentucky is just being contrarian because everyone thinks he'll leave. That could make a guy like him stay and he saw Pitino struggle.

null

Kansas sucks esp in winter. My sister spent 5 years at

Apr 2, 2015, 9:33 AM [ in reply to You'd think Bama would really have a higher ceiling ]

McConnell AFB and couldn't wait to get out of Wichita, until she spent the next 5 in Schreveport, lol.

The 3 stateside bases people want, but are hardest to get, are Tampa, Alaska, and Charleston.

null

Was there ever any doubt? Marshall didn't get where he is

Apr 2, 2015, 7:57 AM

by being stupid.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic