Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Got several Go Tigers today
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1,591

Got several Go Tigers today

Feb 16, 2016, 8:54 PM

In Steamboat Springs CO. Lived here 16 years ago and always sported the paw. Never heard a word. Oh how times have changed.

Go Tigers!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get lots of Go Tigers here in Va now. Mostly

Feb 16, 2016, 10:45 PM

from hokies and hoos.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Get lots of Go Tigers here in Va now. Mostly

Feb 17, 2016, 7:17 AM

Whats a hoo?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wahoo...

Feb 17, 2016, 7:25 AM

From time to time someone will ask on one of the message boards, particularly near the time we are scheduled to play the University of Virginia in some athletic contest, "What Is A Wahoo?" Even though I was employed by the University of Virginia for over five years, I never knew how UVA came about this nickname, so I decided to, once and for all, determine the origin of this moniker.

While there will probably never be an official version of how the nickname came about, the following is more than likely as close as we are going to get and it seems plausible to me. So for all you Tar Heel fans who have ever wondered why the University of Virginia is referred to as the "Wahoos", here goes.

What Is A Wahoo?

The most prominent and widely accepted nicknames of Virginia athletic teams are "Cavaliers", "Wahoos", and "Hoos".

Legend has it that Washington and Lee baseball fans dubbed the Virginia players "Wahoos" during the fiercely contested rivalry that existed between the two in-state schools in the 1890's. No doubt this was a reference to the carp of the same name found in the waters of Virginia which is capable of retaining a prodigious amount of liquid to increase its size and fend off enemies. By 1940 "Wahoos" was in general use around the grounds (campus).

Today the University faithful or "Hoos" for short, embrace and celebrate the "Wahoos" spirited capacity to prevail as their athletic teams continue the proud tradition of success and achievement at UVA.

Now for the rest of the story. Where and how did I get this explanation for the origin of the nickname "Wahoo".

http://www.ramfanatic.com/Misc/what_is_a_wahoo.htm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1,591
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic