Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Good afternoon from rainy NYC / Delta Airlines question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1,830

Good afternoon from rainy NYC / Delta Airlines question

Apr 20, 2015, 2:30 PM

Nikki and I spent a few days here just to get away, and it has been beautiful until today. We got to LaGuardia and our flight has been cancelled because of the weather, and they are asking for volunteers to get bumped on the 7 pm flight. They put up a screen asking for volunteers to receive either a $200, or $300, or $400 or $600 and they will choose the lowest bids. Anyone ever done this? What is the best way to go?

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

negotiate for a couple of free plane tickets to use later...

Apr 20, 2015, 2:31 PM

that's the way to go

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: negotiate for a couple of free plane tickets to use later...

Apr 20, 2015, 2:33 PM

Right..that is the reason for the vouchers. Should have explained it. It's for the value of a ticket in that amount of $200 or $300, etc. So it is essentially for tickets..just didn't know if we should lowball at $200 or go higher

depends on how long the wait will be... i'd go $300...

Apr 20, 2015, 2:38 PM

unless it was a short wait, then it may be worth having a couple of $200 tickets

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Apr 20, 2015, 2:42 PM [ in reply to Re: negotiate for a couple of free plane tickets to use later... ]

David, I travel extensively with Delta. How determined are you to get back? If you want to return to meet a certain schedule, but still want to take a chance to get a travel voucher...bid high. If you really don't care about getting back at a certain time, bid lower. I have seen a couple of these opportunities in the last 2-3 weeks, but they never actually got to the point of people giving up their seats. I have done this a few times and gave up my seat in exchange for a voucher....it's pretty good if there is a returning flight that fits into your schedule. It paid for a trip for my wife and me to California. You will know that they are serious when they start making offers at the gate.

Apr 20, 2015, 2:46 PM

We aren't on a schedule and really don't have a set time to get back. The problem up here is that flights are being cancelled left and right, and all of the flights to Charlotte have been cancelled today. I think we have a good shot

This happened to me last summer.....

Apr 20, 2015, 3:00 PM

by the time they finally cancelled my flight, hundreds of other flights before us had already been cancelled. Consequently, there were literally no other flights (for days) and no rental cars. We ended-up having to spend an extra day in the City while I worked out out alternate travel arrangements for four people.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

You will likely only get the $200. If you have time, and

Apr 20, 2015, 2:37 PM

want the $200 credit then go for it.

A lot of time they get everyone on baord anyway.***

Apr 20, 2015, 2:38 PM

The question you have to ask yourself is this

Apr 20, 2015, 2:39 PM

is $200 really worth staying north of the mason dixon line for another couple hours??

Is it??? Is it??? IS...IT???

;)

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Tell everyone around you

Apr 20, 2015, 2:42 PM

to not go below $600. Delta wants to screw you and everyone else so why not return the favor. Collusion among passengers is legal.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Drive over to Newark....

Apr 20, 2015, 2:55 PM

rent a car and drive to Baltimore and take the late direct flight to Greenville. You'll be home by 11:00PM.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Assuming you are flying Southwest***

Apr 20, 2015, 2:56 PM

Re: Assuming you are flying Southwest***

Apr 20, 2015, 2:57 PM

Nope...we are on Delta. And who has that kind of money?? I work for TigerNet..lol

does crump know you are taking your time getting back?

Apr 20, 2015, 2:58 PM

are you expensing this?

i figured you flew into laguardia cause the grump tossed

Apr 20, 2015, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Assuming you are flying Southwest*** ]

you the keys to the grump cottage out on the hamptons?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i figured you flew into laguardia cause the grump tossed

Apr 20, 2015, 3:03 PM

I didn't even know there was a grump cottage in the Hamptons.

then what's he doing with all my $s if not paying you?

Apr 20, 2015, 3:06 PM

cause all i get is the occasional tmail chastizing me for being my usual humble, loveable and charming self.

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: then what's he doing with all my $s if not paying you?

Apr 20, 2015, 3:10 PM

I will try and keep everybody updated. Right now, the flights are being cancelled at a pretty good clip. Anybody want to come and get us?? We are more charming than we look, I promise.

The car from Newark to Baltimore was $200....

Apr 20, 2015, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Assuming you are flying Southwest*** ]

which was cheaper than staying in the City for two more days waiting for available flights and the drive to Baltimore was only about three hours.

Driving from LGA to EWR...LOL...$30 in tolls and 1hr+ time***

Apr 20, 2015, 5:18 PM [ in reply to Drive over to Newark.... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

does Isaiah Battle have a little brother or something? no

Apr 20, 2015, 4:26 PM

need for a tnet reporter to be that far north in the off-season. And only when we're playing BC or Syracuse away during the season.

I fly Delta cross country 1x per week.

Apr 20, 2015, 4:46 PM

I put $400 for a flight from Atl to Den and they gave me $1100. Same for my wife and daughter!
The delta dollars are better then a free flight if you care about miles.
My advice, bid low if you dont have status, bid high if you do.
Good luck!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Don't bid a single cent...

Apr 20, 2015, 5:03 PM

Having lived in NYC for 14 years, it's the worst airport in America, and it's really not close. No amount of money is worth being stuck in that place longer than you need to be.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

better to check with gate attendant than to bid on the screen

Apr 20, 2015, 5:44 PM

Most of the time they don't end up needing volunteers anyway. If they do you can check with the gate attendant to make sure you're confirmed on another flight first. You can also try to get first class - they'll often do that rather than spend more $ on vouchers.
Last month I was on a flight where they needed 3 volunteers and it took $1000 each before they got all 3. Never seen it higher than $600 before that!

I am Delta "Diamond" Level...

Apr 20, 2015, 5:57 PM

I have gotten vouchers for 500 several times in similar situations. I will tell you this though, the person at the gate desk has "all the power" be nice while everyone else is bitching about delays , and be sure that you know that you "want to be bumped". Whoever is a that desk has huge power in these situations.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 1,830
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic