Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Glad to have another OL commit, but
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Glad to have another OL commit, but

Jul 8, 2013, 10:28 PM

why do we struggle to sign higher rated linemen? It seems like we're constantly recruiting 3 star, low 4 star, or unrated linemen offered during camp. We can recruit 5 star, top rated talent at QB, WR, and seemingly every other position except the o-line. All the skill and speed in the backfield is useless unless it has top notch depth blocking up front.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Glad to have another OL commit, but

Jul 8, 2013, 10:32 PM

Sign 2 ESPN 150 OL in 2012 and another in 2013 and willing to bet we sign Mitch Hyatt 1# OT in 2015.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not many o-lineman are 4 and five stars

Jul 8, 2013, 10:43 PM

not a glamour position no?

Hyatt would be the highest rated in quite some time,hope we

Jul 8, 2013, 10:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Glad to have another OL commit, but ]

Get him. We need to "have guys take over " when we need a yard or two to move the chains. We have improved some but have not had that nastiness in the run game since 06 where we could blow people back. That online took way too much heat late in the yr because proctor got figured out by VT and teams loaded up against us. No knocking a 3 star recruit but the Barrett joneses of the world make a running game easy. Watched the ga/cu simulation and first and goal from the half foot line was a slant route for a td and made me cringe. Load the backfield and knock them back.r

Jul 8, 2013, 11:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Glad to have another OL commit, but ]

Look at the other schools that offered!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

glad we got an o-lineman that bc wanted.

Jul 9, 2013, 2:43 AM

look at the nfl rosters and take a peak at how many ol's bc has put in the league.

Jul 8, 2013, 10:32 PM

yep how did we ever average over 40 a game with all the stiffs we recruit on the line.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2013, 11:25 PM

Because we played Duke, Maryland, Wake Forest and NC State?

Just because it rains and you see frogs does not mean it's raining frogs.

Jul 8, 2013, 10:33 PM

http://247sports.com/Player/Mitch-Hyatt-23728
He is a lean to Clemson and as long as we close as well as Dabo always does, we will get a 5* OL and one of the best for the 2015 recruiting cycle.

Jul 8, 2013, 10:37 PM

It appears that all of these guys, that we are recruiting on the offensive line, are really guards. In this day and time, offensive tackles need to be agile and athletic. We are really missing on this type of player.

Re: Re: Glad to have another OL commit, but

Jul 8, 2013, 10:38 PM

THE best shut down the Whos Who of DE's

Re: Re: Glad to have another OL commit, but

Jul 8, 2013, 10:39 PM

Battle or MacLain can be that athletic guy at OT.

OL isnt really a normal recruiting process

Jul 8, 2013, 10:40 PM

You recruit to your style of play, whether you think a 3 star guy would be better for you than a 5 star guy or not.

Another thing to think about is IMO that a ton of OL talent comes from coaching up your players you get on campus, not them coming in ready to play from day 1

Jul 8, 2013, 10:40 PM

I know, a useless 10/2 season with a win over LSWho in our bowl game. I'm sick of all the uselessness in Tiger FB. But hopefully we will have a useless 12/0 season this year. I love all this uselessness in Tiger Town!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A) Who cares? The star ranking system is largely a scheme to

Jul 8, 2013, 10:42 PM

attract website traffic and subscriptions

B) there are WAYYY more 4 and 5 star RBs, WRs, and QBs a year than Olinemen

C) the kid is 6-5, 300 lbs! It's a very good pickup for us!

Welcome aboard Falcinelli! GO TIGERS!!!

The stars are just another ESPN/SEC conspiracy

Jul 8, 2013, 11:04 PM

created to thwart us.

Ermahgerd! Not enough starz...

Jul 8, 2013, 10:53 PM

### do you know, dude? You some kinda expert? You a coach? You evaluate the guy?

You people are embarrassing sometimes.

You're really gonna flame to another Clemson fan

Jul 8, 2013, 11:01 PM

for asking a question about the recruiting process? ####, my bad. Sorry for asking a question. You're obviously the "expert" here so thanks for the insight.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You're really gonna flame to another Clemson fan

Jul 8, 2013, 11:56 PM

No expert here. But you are already down on a kid because he doesn't seem have enough stars for your liking. Maybe you should email Coach Swinney or Coach Caldwell and tell them they need to target more 5-star OL.

Wait, just how many 5 star OL are there on ESPN's board? Or Rivals'? Or Scout's?

Jul 8, 2013, 10:55 PM

Jay was the #1 center in the nation coming out of high school .....

Yep - BC never produced an NFL O-line guy ....

Jul 8, 2013, 11:18 PM

are you really this tied up in "stars/"

You're not glad..you just want to whine some more.***

Jul 9, 2013, 12:02 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Jul 9, 2013, 12:17 AM

There are 39 Guards, Offensive Tackles, and Centers combined with a ranking of 4 stars or better for 2014 according to Rivals. A grand total of 2 of these come from South Carolina, North Carolina, and Georgia combined. You didn't just ask a question - you immediately followed up your questions with aspersions about a new commit and our coaching staff. So, now that you know the stats on this position exactly how many of these players should Clemson be getting for you to feel like everyone is doing their job?

Personally, I know that Robbie Caldwell is one of the best in the business and if he offers a scholarship it is to someone we want in our trenches.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aside from ratings, we are pretty loaded with potential

Jul 9, 2013, 2:35 AM

No 5 star guy wants to come in and have to compete against other guys who have been in the system for years and knows the playbook. Even a 5 star guy will struggle with that plus the up tempo conditioning it will take.

The pitch to lower rated guys is that they already have the body and size, its just a matter of tapping into that potential after a year or two developing them. Hence, 6-5 300 lbs OL i will take a 3 star one of those guys all day with dabo the one coaching him

I trust that our coaching staff knows how to evaluate OL

Jul 9, 2013, 8:23 AM

talent and how to recruit toward our needs. I think one of the reasons you see less 4 & 5* at OL is because it is difficult to reliably predict who will become a star on the college level at OL.

Questioning a recruit's worth because of his stars is knocking a Clemson man, and that is the problem with your question.

Re: I trust that our coaching staff knows how to evaluate OL

Jul 9, 2013, 8:50 AM

Most coaches in hs put their best guys in the defensive line. The big guys on the offense are usually slower but bigger. There are not enough of these guys to go around, so it is harder to tell who is good or has potential for the college level. The good guys are usually playing against inferior talent in most games, so it is ard to really determine who is good. So, They have to be coached up and also work as a unit. In my opinion, if you recruit defensive linemen and convert them to offense, you can develope so real gems.

You clearly know nothing about college football to make that

Jul 9, 2013, 8:52 AM

kind of statement.

OL rarely, if ever, come in at 4*'s and above.

They need at least a year in a college weight training program to develop physically before any real evaluation can be made.

That is why it's critical to keep recruiting guys like Falcinelli, DeStefano, Guillermo, etc. so they have time to develop into the road graders we know they can be.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic