Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Slingbox - Help please!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 771

Slingbox - Help please!

Aug 23, 2013, 9:13 AM

Can someone please help me? I've decided to try Slingbox at tailgate for GA game, but I don't know what else I need besides the Slingbox itself (and I'm assuming the 500 model is better than the 350)? The salesperson at Best Buy said I would also need an internet player to attach to the TV I will have at the tail gate, but I thought you could just use a laptop?

So rather than rely on salespeople, I thought I would ask the real experts here on tigernet, so if someone could tell me everything I will need to get this set up I would appreciate it!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You should be able to use a laptop at the tailgate

Aug 23, 2013, 9:27 AM

obviously, as long as the laptop has internet access where you tailgate.

Re: Slingbox - Help please!

Aug 23, 2013, 9:56 AM

Yes, once you set up your box at home, any internet capable device can receive the broadcast. I've even seen people use cell phones with an HDMI output to the TV (as long as you have a fast data connection or WiFi, that is).

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

Aug 23, 2013, 9:57 AM

FWIW: I've used a Slingbox since it came out years ago, and I still use the original 100 model.

I'm not an expert on the 500 model, but it allows "HD streaming" (I think), but don't expect it be be like HD cable/satellite. And yes - the 500 offers better options than the 350, but it depends on how much value you put on the more expensive box.

Like the guy said - you need a laptop and internet connectivity if you just want to watch on the laptop. If you want to connect that laptop to a big screen tv, then you need a connection on the laptop (like an HDMI) to do that (and the tv has to have an HDMI connection). You won't get HDMI picture quality though.

Overall the Slingbox is a great way to watch games on the cheap. It allows you to watch any channel you can watch on whatever system the Slingbox is connected to. To control the home-receiver, you will need to set up the Slingbox to do that (instructions should be in the box for that). I would recommend that option.

If it were me, I would just get the cheaper versions of the Slingbox, because the picture is like VGA which is pretty good. But, having never used the 500/350 models, I might be wrong about that.

Good luck.

Aug 23, 2013, 10:10 AM

Thank you all for your help! A couple more questions:
Any suggestions on a generator since I assume I need one for the TV?
I will be at Perimeter Rd near lots 5 and 6, is there campus Wi-Fi in this area?
We have Time Warner Cable Roadrunner, will this work well with Slingbox?

Generator

Aug 23, 2013, 10:30 AM

I highly recommend a Honda EU2000 generator if it's within your budget. It will run everything you can possibly need for even the most elaborate tailgating setup. Some people use deep cycle marine battery(ies) with a power inverter. You can probably get by with this if you're only running a small LCD TV (plasma is a power hog) and your laptop.

If you do go the generator route, please, please, please, for the sake of your own sanity and that of your neighbors, get one of the quiet ones (I think Yamaha makes a competitor to Honda's Quiet Run series). A conventional generator is super loud and you may even not be able to hear the TV over it unless it's a good ways away.

Aug 23, 2013, 10:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Slingbox - Help please! ]

I have a slingbox 500 and you can definitely get HD quality from it. You just need a fast enough connection at both your home where the slingbox is connected (upload), and where you are viewing it (download). The quality automatically scales with the bandwidth of your connection.

The main difference between the 500 and 350 is that the 500 has wifi. So if your router at your home is far away from your tv, then get the 500. Otherwise the 350 is fine. There are other differences, but that's the biggest.

Aug 23, 2013, 10:24 AM

Hey - thanks for the update on the 500 model. I've been looking at those, but wasn't sure about the difference in quality. I might have to upgrade my old unit to the 500.

As for the generator, I think the consensus on t-net seems to be in favor of 1-2 deep cell batteries, and an inverter to power the TV, etc. There are numerous threads on t-net for that. Generators are loud and disturb the neighbors, so maybe consider that cheaper option.

Replies: 7
| visibility 771
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic