Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
GT's A.D. wants to drop Clemson...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

GT's A.D. wants to drop Clemson...

Apr 25, 2015, 2:54 PM

and get a new crossover opponent. Paul Johnson has complained about this before. What did you boys do to hurt the nerds feelings?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lets see....

Apr 25, 2015, 2:59 PM

it sure wasn't beating them consistently...

may have been the overflow crowds every other year...

dunno

if only we could beat them in Atlanta since 2003.***

Apr 25, 2015, 3:30 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Good. Maybe we can get some momentum for a 1-division

Apr 25, 2015, 3:05 PM

conference, Every team plays every other team 3 times every 5 years with one spot left. That could be for the cross-division rivalry, meaning they play 4 times in 5 years. Top two teams go to the championship game. That would be much more fair.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

who are you***

Apr 25, 2015, 3:07 PM

Is this an Atlas Shrugged reference

Apr 25, 2015, 3:36 PM

I think its an Atlas Shrugged reference

some dude dating Dagny Taggart***

Apr 25, 2015, 6:11 PM [ in reply to who are you*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: GT's A.D. wants to drop Clemson...

Apr 25, 2015, 3:21 PM

Prob the fact Johnson knows he would be 2-6 vs Clemson since he has been coach at GT without some very favorable BS penalties at crucial times.

holding thomas austin***

Apr 25, 2015, 3:23 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not Once, But Twice

Apr 26, 2015, 7:06 AM

that call cost us the GT game.

Apr 25, 2015, 3:38 PM

I want to drop Paul Johnson into a pool full of angry sharks.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 25, 2015, 4:10 PM

This is great news as we could then pick up Miami, Duke, or UNC to be the cross Conference Rival. We don't need GT on our schedule anyways. However, I would be in favor of adding UGA to the season opener for the foreseeable future. We could begin our season with and SEC opponent and end it with an SEC opponent. I would also like to work in a BIG 10, BIG 12, and PAC 12 Teams into our schedule for one of the early season games. If you want to be the best then you have to beat the best. So why bother with playing small schools that do nothing more than waste our time?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Apr 25, 2015, 4:14 PM

GT has more than proven themselves a worthy nemesis. Not having to spend a week of every season preparing for their abhorrent offensive scheme would help us tremendously. I also agree with opening against an SEC team as it gets the team well prepared for the rest of the schedule. Even if we lose the first one, it should not knock us out of the play-off if we win out.

But as far as ending with an d SEC team, I think you are giving the gamecocks a little too much credit. it will be a long time before they resemble an SEC program on the football field, if ever again.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 25, 2015, 8:48 PM

I agree, GT is/has been one of our greatest rivalries - forever. Lot of history there. UGA became, and ought to be considered (again, lots of history, on and off the field) an annual rivalry - certainly given the nationally competitive view of the media (?) between our programs, cross-state proximity and the rabid characteristics of our respective fan bases. (I recall it was the UGA game in DV [many years ago] that prompted Brent Musburger to call our taking the field as the most exciting 60 seconds (or whatever) in college football.) We should play the dawgs every year, AND GT. Just sayin'.

Yeah, GT is our most historic rival within the ACC.

Apr 26, 2015, 1:12 AM

Textile (NSCU) was a glimpse compared to GT, FSU has The U where we have GT and the Criminoles are a late edition AS is The U. Not to mention The Pack are rival beyatchs of The Tarholes.

Duke is rival with WF.

BC would have ND, should they ever go fully into the conference. (*No way ND is added to our division, if that day ever comes.). So, UVA or Pitt as is BC's cross and 'Cuse gets whichever BC doesn't.

Which leaves VT; who should have U of L as their cross rival.

*as BC's cross and***

Apr 26, 2015, 1:14 AM

It helps Clemson's recruiting to play Georgia teams

Apr 25, 2015, 5:10 PM

Since Paul can't recruit anybody, he hopes to lower the competition

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^hit the nail on the head.

Apr 26, 2015, 12:48 AM

+1

I'm not buying it. Its the best rivalry they have in the ACC

Apr 25, 2015, 5:27 PM

They have wanted in the past to switch to the Atlantic to get FSU yearly too because of their lack of good annual rival games in conference.

Re: I'm not buying it. Its the best rivalry they have in the ACC

Apr 25, 2015, 8:02 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=17154491

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Insane. They have very few games they can actually sell

Apr 25, 2015, 9:17 PM

tickets to in that stadium. The two being Georgia and Clemson. CU/GT one of the South's oldest rivalries. Just what college football needs is losing another good rivalry and just what the ACC needs is to lose a good rivalry game in their inventory. The cross over opponents are actually the only thing that makes sense in the Atlantic/Coastal setup(FSU-Miami; CU-GT; UNC-NCState etc)

Agreed

Apr 25, 2015, 9:46 PM

But, apparently, they don't like the competition. I would be inclined to believe it is more related to recruiting than anything.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Apr 25, 2015, 6:02 PM

VT would be good, similar alumni, passionate fan base.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No thanks. We recruit Georgia heavily.

Apr 25, 2015, 9:23 PM

Does anyone really want to give the coots the advantage of telling recruits they will return to play in their home state of Georgia twice and we can tell them well once very 6-8 years and probably will not happen in your 4 years at Clemson.

Apr 26, 2015, 6:48 AM

Oh Really!

I agree with them on one thing: I don't

Apr 26, 2015, 6:52 AM

want any permanent crossover opponent. That forces our schedule too much and prevents us from having good trips more often to places like Chapel Hill, Blacksburg, Charlottsville, etc.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree with them on one thing: I don't

Apr 26, 2015, 7:48 AM

As much as I totally love teeing it up with Georgia Tech each year, I can see eliminating the permanent crossover opponent.

When the ACC had fewer members it was an OK plan, but now with the bigger number some teams rarely play at some places. Wasn't it Syracuse that expressed dismay at being in Miami only once in about twenty years ... 12 years?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why not have all cross-division games set by lottery?

Apr 26, 2015, 11:29 AM

I'd rather play Pitt and Miami alternately than GT every year. Set up a home-away 2 game series by lottery. Or something.

Maybe when Jack said "not too many people want to play us",

Apr 26, 2015, 11:33 AM

he wasn't talking about baseball. hmmmmmm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd be cool with that.***

Apr 26, 2015, 12:21 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We did similar stuff as to what y'all did.

Apr 26, 2015, 6:53 PM

We actually sellout that glorified high school stadium they have, and spend an absurd amount at the Varsity. Only this we didn't do has been beat that @** consistently like y'all did. I say screw GT. I'd prefer to play Miami or VT everyear. Even UVA would be fun b/c I've always wanted to go to Charlottesville. As much as it'd suck for our rivalry w/ GT to die, I think not being handcuffed to them could be a good thing

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic