Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
GOP Strategist on the Road to Trump
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

GOP Strategist on the Road to Trump

Jul 29, 2020, 10:15 PM

Mr. Trump has served a useful purpose by exposing the deep flaws of a major American political party. Like a heavy truck driven over a bridge on the edge of failure, he has made it impossible to ignore the long-developing fault lines of the Republican Party. A party rooted in decency and values does not embrace the anger that Mr. Trump peddles as patriotism.

This collapse of a major political party as a moral governing force is unlike anything we have seen in modern American politics. The closest parallel is the demise of the Communist Party in the Soviet Union, when the dissonance between what the party said it stood for and what citizens actually experienced was so great that it was unsustainable.

This election should signal a day of reckoning for the party and all who claim it as a political identity. Will it? I’ve given up hope that there are any lines of decency or normalcy that once crossed would move Republican leaders to act as if they took their oath of office more seriously than their allegiance to party. Only fear will motivate the party to change — the cold fear only defeat can bring.

That defeat is looming. Will it bring desperately needed change to the Republican Party? I’d like to say I’m hopeful. But that would be a lie and there have been too many lies for too long.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/29/opinion/trump-republican-party-racism.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so whose running the oped now that Bari Weiss is gone?

Jul 29, 2020, 10:21 PM

Stuart Steven's claim to "GOP strategist" is consulting on Romney campaign.

He has always been a never Trumper. This is just the same old recycled NYT stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Stevens

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That kind of makes the point though.

Jul 29, 2020, 10:31 PM

GOP members of old, the “compassionate conservatives” have always been and will always be in that “Never Trumper” camp.

If the strategy is just purely Machiavellian, that’s fine you can own it. But his observations on the evolution of the party from Nixon to Reagan/Bush back to Nixon is astute.

I consider myself a "compassionate conservative"

Jul 29, 2020, 10:41 PM

I would be a terrible POTUS.

Republicans do not have too great a track record with the "nice guys." Dubya was the only one to get re-elected.

I agree Trump is on a different planet, but Reagan especially didn't take the crap that was flung at him. He fought back.

I understand te problem with Trump. I understood it 4 years ago. I understand it just about every day I turn on the news....which is my point. This guy is not shining some kind of light on an unknown subject from a unique point of expertise. Get in line.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We’ve never had a president as widely criticized as Trump.

Jul 29, 2020, 10:43 PM

We’ve never had a president who comes anywhere close to acting and speaking as ridiculous as Trump. Both are true.

Re: so whose running the oped now that Bari Weiss is gone?

Jul 30, 2020, 8:04 AM [ in reply to so whose running the oped now that Bari Weiss is gone? ]

i think endless war/nation building caught up with the GOP

that and GOP/chamber of commerce promoting the importation low cost labor, hurting american workers

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: so whose running the oped now that Bari Weiss is gone?

Jul 30, 2020, 11:52 PM

but not hurting business owners, large and small.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's right up there with Rick Wilson***

Jul 29, 2020, 10:25 PM

Re: GOP Strategist on the Road to Trump

Jul 29, 2020, 10:31 PM

My god that is a terrifying picture. He looks like a corpse.

Gary Busey meets Ron White

Jul 29, 2020, 10:40 PM

he's talking about Trump...

Jul 29, 2020, 10:42 PM

like NYT is going to try and find a picture that doesn't make him look like a Russian-loving demon.

Ye I know

Jul 29, 2020, 10:48 PM

good...

Jul 29, 2020, 10:52 PM

cuz I thought he was talking about the Busey-White lovechild myself at first.

Like this?

Jul 29, 2020, 11:25 PM [ in reply to he's talking about Trump... ]

Re: Like this?

Jul 29, 2020, 11:48 PM

I hope he’s right. The GOP needs to lose the WH

Jul 29, 2020, 10:47 PM

and senate by a mile to learn a lesson about popularism and putting a total dumbf vck in the nation’s highest office. Dems should learn from it too and hopefully not boomerang back too far.

I fear that the damage is permanent though. And even if

Jul 29, 2020, 10:58 PM

they do lose bigly, the playbook has been established and will be resurrected.

It resonates with so many for many different reasons. Some are just being pragmatic and going along because the coalition it forms allows for the continuance and creation of desired policies.

Some are scared and cling to their guns and religion. Some are hateful and feel empowered by the boldness of a leader that is strategic about “condemning” them with a wink.

And some, I assume, are good people.

Re: I fear that the damage is permanent though. And even if

Jul 29, 2020, 11:02 PM

Could be wrong, but don’t remember him advocating

Jul 29, 2020, 11:04 PM

cutting spending.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Could be wrong, but don’t remember him advocating

Jul 29, 2020, 11:08 PM

Rebuilding the military is a fool’s errand. It needs to be

Jul 29, 2020, 11:11 PM

capped.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait so you're a real Conservative

Jul 29, 2020, 11:19 PM

We spend more than enough on the Military now...

Jul 30, 2020, 8:54 AM

it needs to be managed better...much better, by both the Pentagon and Congress.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see why military spending should be a

Jul 30, 2020, 9:00 AM

sacred cow for conservatives. As a conservative, I believe this spending MUST be reduced, along with lots of other types of spending.

"Spending" shouldn't be directly....

Jul 30, 2020, 11:38 AM

having a strong and prepared military should be.

However, in DC, spending directly equals quality/commitment.

The Wolves are already at the gate

Jul 31, 2020, 11:50 AM [ in reply to I don't see why military spending should be a ]

military and intelligence will be the last things to go as debt service eats further and further into our mandatory spending. The logical conclusion of our current direction as a country and an economy is potentially frightening.

Sadly our debt is a combination of self inflicted wounds, and a generation of people living above thir means and subsidizing their standards off living off future generations. Those without generational wealth will be hosed when the shyatt really hits the fan.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, and his idiotic tariffs.***

Jul 29, 2020, 11:09 PM [ in reply to Re: I fear that the damage is permanent though. And even if ]

Why idiotic?

Jul 29, 2020, 11:16 PM

Cause of lemmings like you.

Jul 29, 2020, 11:43 PM

Keep jumping!

It created uncertainty in the economy.***

Jul 30, 2020, 7:48 AM [ in reply to Why idiotic? ]

The idea itself has some merit, but the implementation...

Jul 30, 2020, 7:55 AM [ in reply to Why idiotic? ]

was horrible.

He enacted the initial steel tariff effectively over-night and it hurt a LOT of US businesses. He could have announced his intention well ahead of time and allowed US steel suppliers to get ready for it and allow US businesses to comment on it and suggest alterations. Instead, he just issued a sweeping tariff without understanding all of the impact. The GDP/job growth, while still good in 2018 and 2019, would have been a lot stronger had the tariffs been handled more competently.

That’s another way that he goes again small c

Jul 30, 2020, 8:25 AM

conservatism. There used to be a belief held amongst conservatives within the Republican Party that slow gradual change was preferential to drastic radical change.

Not really an indictment or endorsement of either viewpoint but it is a departure from the idealists of the past.

way #10897 that he goes against conservative ideals***

Jul 30, 2020, 8:44 AM

Re: I fear that the damage is permanent though. And even if

Jul 29, 2020, 11:05 PM [ in reply to I fear that the damage is permanent though. And even if ]

Those terrible middle aged, white guys, that go to work everyday, pay ### loads of taxes, never break the law, love the flag. Swine, I tell ya.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe we all learn that half truths, mistruths, and

Jul 29, 2020, 11:40 PM [ in reply to I fear that the damage is permanent though. And even if ]

misdirection are a normal part of politics, but daily outright unrestrained bullsh id is not normal or acceptable and anti-intellectualism is a bit detrimental to us as a country. That might be too ambitious tho, wouldn’t surprise me for the GOP to nominate a Kanye/Post ticket on the future.

I don't know about that.

Jul 30, 2020, 9:04 AM [ in reply to I fear that the damage is permanent though. And even if ]

The GOP can still reinvent itself, especially if the Dems blunder through the next four years, which they are apt to do.

They must, of course, purge all traces of Trumpism to do so, even at the risk of alienating those voters. And they must hold GOP politicians who either embraced Trump or enabled him accountable.

Without a doubt, it looks bad for the GOP. The Trump experiment has proven a costly, critical mistake. I doubt they let this happen in a primary again. But don't count them out. There are still plenty of crooked idiots on the other side to make them look good again.

My prediction is we see the rise of the Bush family once again. They have cleverly stayed away from Trump and are playing the long game here, IMO.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Creative destruction.

Jul 31, 2020, 12:02 AM [ in reply to I fear that the damage is permanent though. And even if ]

It's been the American way in business all this time, sometimes things need to spill over a bit in society for that same forward purpose.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Biden wins, hoping the GOP holds the Senate.***

Jul 29, 2020, 11:03 PM [ in reply to I hope he’s right. The GOP needs to lose the WH ]

I'm definitely with you on that***

Jul 29, 2020, 11:05 PM

you'll never have another Republican President if you don't

Jul 29, 2020, 11:15 PM

hold the Senate.

The Democrats will gerrymander the Constitution until you can't be elected again. Simple fact.

Can you elaborate on how you think the dems will change...

Jul 30, 2020, 7:50 AM

the Constitution?

I don't think you understand what "gerrymander" means.

Jul 30, 2020, 8:28 AM [ in reply to you'll never have another Republican President if you don't ]

You can't "gerrymander" a document (like the Constitution).

I'm more concerned that he doesn't seem to understand...

Jul 30, 2020, 8:46 AM

what it takes to change the Constitution. It seems that he believes that the dems taking 51 seats in the Senate will lead to radical changes to the constitution.

That just hyperbolic fear mongering.

Jul 30, 2020, 8:50 AM

Most of the time, when pressed, they will say what they really mean is that they will pack SCOTUS with judges who will alter, from the bench, what the Constitution means.

Considering he thinks there's a President of Africa...

Jul 30, 2020, 8:52 AM

I'm not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt :)

When you factor in the use of gerrymandering, it really makes you wonder.

How in the hell do you gerrymander the Constitution?

Jul 30, 2020, 9:05 AM [ in reply to you'll never have another Republican President if you don't ]

And do you even know the process for altering the Constitution?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

HEY...hey....

Jul 30, 2020, 11:39 AM

get in line

I’d sign on to that with McConnell out. Some people are

Jul 29, 2020, 11:46 PM [ in reply to If Biden wins, hoping the GOP holds the Senate.*** ]

bad for America, he’s one of’em.

Brought to you by the paper which uncovered the Russian hoax.

Jul 29, 2020, 11:46 PM

garbage in, garbage out

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At this point...

Jul 30, 2020, 9:06 AM

Anyone who still thinks Trump is looking good for November is either naive or living in denial. Party's over, 88.

I got our 50 Tnet point bet bookmarked.

Jul 30, 2020, 10:11 PM

Trump will get 14% of the black vote.

Y'all said the same thing in 2016 then grieved over Hillary's askwhuppin'. There's plenty of Trump hate out there but each Trump hater only gets one vote. Even though you have him more than Hitler, your vote only counts as one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I know you're ignoring all the signs.

Jul 30, 2020, 11:02 PM

This is not the same as 2016, and you still won't recognize that was a rare election anomaly.

And in 2016, Trump only got 8 percent of the black vote. Many black voters who came out en masse for Obama stayed home.

As of a June 5 NPR poll, Trump had only 9 percent of the black vote. He's not sniffing anywhere near 14 percent, especially with what's happened the last couple of months.

Trump is getting curb stomped in November, and you're going to lose your bet with me. Badly. I don't really care about the imaginary points on Tigernet, but I #### sure love the "I told you so".

Re: GOP Strategist on the Road to Trump

Jul 30, 2020, 8:10 AM

I think the Repub Party returns to normal after Trump loses and they realize they have to adapt again.

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic