Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For you Old School Tigers...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

For you Old School Tigers...

Sep 30, 2017, 12:28 PM

Who remembers fans bring rolls of toilet paper that were thrown after each Tiger touchdown?

Bonus question- Who remembers the power plant siren sounding after a victory?

Happy with our current program. But do miss the old days.

GO TIGERS!!
ALL IN!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”

? John Wayne

Re: For you Old School Tigers...

Sep 30, 2017, 12:34 PM

Wish the goalposts could still be wrapped in orange and purple crepe paper. Would not look right now with yellow posts.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure about wrapping paper around goalpost but I

Sep 30, 2017, 3:53 PM

wish they would paint them that vintage bright white like they used to be. The yellow looks horrible.

I remember walking up the hill and hearing the siren......

Sep 30, 2017, 12:42 PM

and I don't mean THE HILL.....

Re: I remember walking up the hill and hearing the siren......

Sep 30, 2017, 1:43 PM

^^^ what @Spud said ^^^

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I remember walking up the hill and hearing the siren......

Sep 30, 2017, 2:28 PM [ in reply to I remember walking up the hill and hearing the siren...... ]

Did they stop the siren? It was at the P Plant after home victories

Sep 30, 2017, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the memories. I remember the siren and miss it. Toilet paper is before my time. GO TIGERS.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

in the 80s students would try to get the entire TP roll to

unroll, throwing from the upper deck.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Sep 30, 2017, 1:03 PM

Who remembers Clemson before the lake? My father was telling me the other day that they were clearing land for the lake when he was there in the late 50's and how his buddies in the airplane club "borrowed" heavy equipment in the middle of the night to make an air strip on campus.

I grew up in Clemson and watched the lake being build. Dad bought our first ski boat in 63 after the lake was "full". I think the color of the water in the lake was mud brown for the first three years!

I remember the P-plant blowing the steam whistle at each game, but not the toilet paper toss. The coolest thing was hanging out at Fike Fieldhouse as kids and getting chased out by Coach Howard when we tried to get chinstraps from the football players after practice. I've still got a half a dozen in a box some where.

Oct 1, 2017, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Re: For you Old School Tigers... ]

I do not remember anything about TP but do remember the siren blowing at 1 pm at kickoff time. I remember before the new bridge over the new lake in 1958. And I remember when you got ice cream near the amphitheater. And I remember when you could introduce basketball recruits to the fans at halftime of the football games. I am old.

I've been coming to DV since 1962........

Sep 30, 2017, 1:04 PM

and remember the siren but never remember toilet paper after each touchdown.

Sep 30, 2017, 1:23 PM

I remember even before I went to CU I got a ticket to the Clemson NC State game in 67. State had gone 8-0 before they barely lost to Penn State the week before. It was very unusual for an ACC team in those days because the ACC was at an automatic disadvantage from academic requirements, yet typically played two or more SEC teams that essentially meant automatic losses. That year Clemson had lost thrillers to Georgia and Alabama when Ken the Snake was Bama's QB. It was the game where Howard, the bashful baron of Barlow Bend, ALA., smacked Bear with his hat when they met at midfield.

To distinguish the stingy defense, the State coaches had issued white shoes to them. It was apparently a thing with the press. The winner would clench the ACC championship. Each had one more game, Clemson with the dirtpeckers, State the UNCHeat but everyone else had lost more than one game. State also had an All American place kicker. The wits that made banners had one that said "Half God's Chillun wear white shoes." But behold, Howard had decided to top the Pack had told his guys to paint their shoes orange, and sure enough there was also a banner that said "ALL God's chillun wear orange shoes." There was the usual "ROTC Sez Take No Prisoners"

My ticket was in the then West Stands, so depth perception was awful. A steady wind came in form the west the whole game. State got two first half long field goals, and a State fan near me was hitting his leg with his hat saying "Man, have we got a kicker!"

In the second half, Clemson got the wind. Jimmy "the Needle" Addison found Buddy Gore on a wheel route for a long TD. They had another good drive for another TD. As time wound down the State fan pulled out money and said "I'm still putting money on the Wolfpack!" and was ignored. Clemson won 14-6 (nice ring) but the cluckers the next week and won the ACC championship. They weren't real good again until after Howard was gone, but it is a great memory.

Buddy Gore was a dynamic running back and the "Needle" was

Sep 30, 2017, 1:50 PM

really slick and could really toss the ball. Jimmy was a quick runner too, who ran alot like Johnny Football.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2017, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: For you Old School Tigers... ]

TP must have started after the upper deck was added. I remember students either on the Hill or Section C.

Sep 30, 2017, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Re: For you Old School Tigers... ]

It was cold that day too. Coach Howard on his TV show was asked about the pass to Gore. He commented to Verner, well yeah I believe that was the first pass he ever caught at Clemson we called him stone hands in practice.Typical Coach Howard dead pan humor.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2017, 2:43 PM

Was Verner the PBP announcer? He may have been the person that started the whooohooo. I was a teen in the '60s, but I'm pretty sure the radio announcer would holler woohoo mercy whenever our Tigers made a big play. Old timers, is my memory correct on this?

He was the radio announcer - and no, he did not........

Sep 30, 2017, 4:03 PM

start the woo-hoo.

Woo-hoo announcer...

Sep 30, 2017, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Re: For you Old School Tigers... ]

was a gentleman named Bill Goodrich. He did not last long....probably got on everyone's nerves (including me).

Oct 1, 2017, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Re: For you Old School Tigers... ]

Verner Tate was the host for coach Howard's Sunday TV show.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The NCSU students carried a banner across the field at

Sep 30, 2017, 2:25 PM [ in reply to Re: For you Old School Tigers... ]

half time...it said "A little p###y never hurt the pack"...head cheerleader told the students "Go get 'em" and they did...streamed onto the field and took care of things...don't remember what happened to the banner but it was gone

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Attended my first game in 1948 as a young kid. Don’t

Sep 30, 2017, 1:24 PM

remember the toilet paper, siren yes.

I remember the siren ... don't recall the toilet paper

Sep 30, 2017, 1:56 PM

The siren was actually sounded at noon every Saturday year round, but was done as a special feature on football Saturdays in the Fall.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

remember the siren and that reminded

Sep 30, 2017, 2:58 PM

me of national defense (the bomb) sirens going off at noon every Saturday all year in Columbia. Can't remember what year they were taken down.

Siren yes... TP no***

Sep 30, 2017, 1:59 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd forgotten about the toilet paper.

Sep 30, 2017, 2:06 PM

Thanks for reminding me.

Re: I'd forgotten about the toilet paper.

Sep 30, 2017, 2:56 PM

I was in the Army and met Keith Waters,from N.Augusta,, who had played baseball for the Tigers. He was an Army physician at Ft. Jackson and I was training under him. His brother was the legendary Charlie Waters. Of course, we talked Clemson football. Interestingly enough after three games I saw Clemson could take it all the way and told him that. It was the OTHER NC year. He graded me very highly later and always asked me how I knew.

Sep 30, 2017, 2:17 PM

I was thinking about the siren just this morning trying to decide if it was just my imagination or if I remembered correctly. I thought is sounded at 1:00 which was always game time back in the "olden" days.

Message was edited by: akgtiger®

and just like that johnstone hall had no toilet paper

Sep 30, 2017, 2:45 PM

thursday night for the pep rallies also

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: and just like that johnstone hall had no toilet paper

Sep 30, 2017, 3:38 PM

It doubled as saran wrap in Harcombe.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Sep 30, 2017, 3:18 PM

I came to Clemson in July 1955, just before the dukes were built to protect the campus. The old US 123 through town veered to the right past the Esso Club going toward Seneca. The steel bridge across the Seneca River was real narrow. Just across the bridge on the South side was a little grocery store. The owner had a parrot and more people visited the store to see the parrot than stopped to buy groceries.

I don't remember if the siren sounded at noon or one o'clock each day but it did sound off after every Tiger victory. In addition to the Tiger, we had a Country Gentleman. Several times the two got into a brawl with the mascots of our opponents.

The practice of throwing the TP did not last long because several rolls did not unroll and hit fans sitting in the lower seats. Most of the fans siting those areas were faculty and staff so you can imagine that practice came to a screeching halt.

Up until the 1958 season.the stadium actually sat in the bowl and we entered from what is now the ground level. The press box was centered on the 50 yard line on the south side and can best be described as looking like a chicken house. In 1958, additional seats were made available. This was the first addition to the original stadium. The seats were extended upward and these sections became UA, UB, etc. The press box was modernized and enlarged and sat above the new stands.

Top Deck South was opened in 1983 and Top Deck North in 1988.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2017, 3:38 PM

Top deck south opened for the game against the Coots in 1978, Steve Fuller's last game at Clemson. Top sack north opened for the first game of the 1983 season.

Sep 30, 2017, 3:39 PM

Top deck north opened in 1983 for the first game. Sorry about the spelling.

Oct 1, 2017, 10:55 AM

I think I'm with the majority. Siren, yes; toilet paper, no.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic