Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fla State
Other Sports Boards - Rivalries
add New Topic
Replies: 60
| visibility 1

Fla State

Jul 6, 2012, 8:08 AM

Rumor has it Big 12 voted to invite Fla State as it's 13th member.It was also out there that the Anti Clemson Conference had four teams that would not vote on revenue buyout if they left the conference.Question is do we stay on the pale blue ship lollypop or give them them the# 1 sign and hope B12 will take us.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

rumors are awesome

Jul 6, 2012, 8:09 AM

for me to poop on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: rumors are awesome

Jul 6, 2012, 8:44 AM

i see what you did there

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: rumors are awesome

Jul 6, 2012, 10:01 AM [ in reply to rumors are awesome ]

I heard from a reliable source that the administration was going to let the Big 12 run down the hill before all our games this year.

Re:And there is as much validity to yours as the first one.***

Jul 6, 2012, 1:42 PM

I guess that means that

Jul 6, 2012, 8:12 AM

Clemson and ND are 11 and 12? ;)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fla State- I think FSU can be in both the BIG12 and ACC

Jul 6, 2012, 8:15 AM

and will need that much room to accomodate Jimbo's genius according to ESPN

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

13th member huh? So tell me, who were the 11th and 12th?***

Jul 6, 2012, 8:20 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: 13th member huh? So tell me, who were the 11th and 12th?***

Jul 6, 2012, 8:22 AM

WVU was #11, and I think TCU was #12.

Someone correct me if wrong please.

they make 9 and 10.***

Jul 6, 2012, 8:23 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They only have 10 teams***

Jul 6, 2012, 8:23 AM [ in reply to Re: 13th member huh? So tell me, who were the 11th and 12th?*** ]

Nobody on tnet would ever correct someone who's wrong

Jul 6, 2012, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Re: 13th member huh? So tell me, who were the 11th and 12th?*** ]

ever

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

WVU & TCU are #9 & #10

Jul 6, 2012, 8:25 AM [ in reply to Re: 13th member huh? So tell me, who were the 11th and 12th?*** ]

Big 12 lost 4 schools recently (CO, A&M, Mizz & Neb)

Do you remember Texas A&M and Missouri leaving this most

Jul 6, 2012, 8:26 AM [ in reply to Re: 13th member huh? So tell me, who were the 11th and 12th?*** ]

desirable conference that everyone wants to be in?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

You're wrong...

Jul 6, 2012, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Re: 13th member huh? So tell me, who were the 11th and 12th?*** ]

WVU and TCU were numbers 9 and 10. The Big 12 is so unstable that had to go into frickin west virginia to get a team

And yet they managed to ink a deal to create an annual bowl

Jul 6, 2012, 8:41 AM

game between the B12 and SEC. Not to mention they are so unstable that they had a team that arguably should have played for the NC last year. And they're so unstable that rumors of schools like ND and FSU lining up to join keep surfacing.

When you've got the money that the B12 has coming in, a huge in conference game like Texas/Oklahoma, some of the wealthiest supporters in the country like T. Boone, stability may not be an issue. With the caveat that this is just my opinion.

Well, if you love the dust bowl conference so much,

Jul 6, 2012, 8:53 AM

why don't you move out to the great plains and cheer on the sooners, cowboys, jayhawks, or whoever. yeee hawww. all i know is clemson will never go to the big 12 and will continue to recruit the best and build the best facilities.

No thanks, I'm actually a huge Clemson fan so I have no

Jul 6, 2012, 9:01 AM

reason to root for any of those teams in the B12.

Now stay with me here, because I really believe that reading is fundamental. The B12 appeared to be on the bring of collapse. A big part of that was due to the Longhorn network. But those problems were corrected, and the B12 began to stabilize. So let me ask you this, and it's an honest question CUswag90, if you had to rank the top 5 conferences in order from 1 to 5, how do you rank them? Here's my order:

1. SEC
2. B12
3. B1G
4. Pac 12
5. ACC

An argument could be made to switch 4 and 5, or you may be able to switch 2 and 3 as well. What say you?

Just my .02 cents....

Jul 6, 2012, 9:11 AM

1. SEC
2. BIG
3. B1G XII
4. Pac 12
5. ACC

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: No thanks, I'm actually a huge Clemson fan so I have no

Jul 6, 2012, 9:11 AM [ in reply to No thanks, I'm actually a huge Clemson fan so I have no ]

Why the heck would we switch to a "better" conference if we can achieve all of our goals in the ACC? It is ridiculous I am even having this conversation, because you and me both know a move to the Big 12 will never happen. We are an east coast school with rivalries in the ACC. A road to the playoffs is easier in the ACC, and so is travel. If the Big 12 is so stable, why the heck does it have a school in arguably the poorest state in the nation, with others with no tv markets? explain this to me, please

So the reason to remain in the ACC is....

Jul 6, 2012, 9:14 AM

a fear of competition?

Would you feel the same way if FSU and Geogria Tech leave the league for the Big 12.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No thanks, I'm actually a huge Clemson fan so I have no

Jul 6, 2012, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Re: No thanks, I'm actually a huge Clemson fan so I have no ]

The money is the problem...The ACC and Swofford have put us at a great disadvantage in reaching that particular goal.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm a proponent of leaving and haven't wavered on that front

Jul 6, 2012, 9:19 AM

but I think the conferences performance has led to many of the revenue challenges...now Swofford and his team have not helped at all with the Gator Bowl disaster, tv partners, Raycom, moving around the ACC champ game over and over...final moving to the place everyone knew it should have been all along.

Re: I'm a proponent of leaving and haven't wavered on that front

Jul 6, 2012, 9:21 AM

exactly...and play on the field does factor....however, and unfortunately, we can't do anything about schools like BC, Maryland, UVA, Duke, Wake etc crapping the bed in football. And that's not likely to change. Sure the 4 football schools in this conference have to do their part, but 4 schools isn't enough to bring this sinking ship upright.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's not even that they crap the bed...it's that they don't

Jul 6, 2012, 9:23 AM

have the resources to compete or don't want to devote the resources to compete. They aren't a good fit with us at all, never have been, and never will be.

Re: it's not even that they crap the bed...it's that they don't

Jul 6, 2012, 9:24 AM

That's what I mean...."crap the bed" = "don't give a crap about being a power in football"

I have said it before and I will say it again....

Jul 6, 2012, 9:22 AM [ in reply to I'm a proponent of leaving and haven't wavered on that front ]

I don't think anyone wants to leave the ACC. Unfortunately, the leadership in the ACC has left us with little choice if we want to remain on equal footing financially with the schools against whom we compete for recruits.

agreed....I'm just afraid conservative/traditionalist are

Jul 6, 2012, 9:26 AM

going to win the battle here internally and are going to be fooled by Swofford's lies/propoganda. This OB deal for example...on the surface you see the headline and you think...wow...that's good. But then you analyze it and it's just ok. The OB really had no other alternatives...we really had no other alternatives. We were both negotiating from a position of weakness. Here is one truth in sales---no great deal is negotiated from a position of weakness...never happens.

Doesn't the SEC have schools in Mississippi and Tennessee?

Jul 6, 2012, 9:17 AM [ in reply to Re: No thanks, I'm actually a huge Clemson fan so I have no ]

Last time I checked those states are pretty poor.

I admit, I was advocating for a move to the B12, and it certainly looks at this point as though it will not happen. But my reason is because it's just a better conference.

The fact that we can achieve all of our goals in the ACC may or may not be true. Actually, it's probably true that we can and the playoff helps. However, being in the ACC makes it more difficult to achieve those goals because of the perception of the league, and the money that the conferences like the SEC, B12, and B1G are bringing in. That puts us at an immediate disadvantage. Now, can we overcome that, run the table and get into the playoff? Sure, but it's more difficult because of our conference affiliation.

So, do you think that as a whole the B12 is a better conference right now than the ACC or not?

I laughed about that one too....it doesn't get more poor

Jul 6, 2012, 9:19 AM

than MS...

I am not willing to conceed just yet.....

Jul 6, 2012, 9:19 AM [ in reply to Doesn't the SEC have schools in Mississippi and Tennessee? ]

that a move to the B12 will not happen.

my fear is that we have two groups running the show

Jul 6, 2012, 9:22 AM

1. is going to wait forever for an SEC invite that probably will never come
2. is going to stay in the ACC for tradition, academics, because they are extremely conservative by nature and will only see we need to move when others begin jumping ship.

Well, I guess you should always expect the unexpected

Jul 6, 2012, 9:24 AM [ in reply to I am not willing to conceed just yet..... ]

and while I agree that it's not completely off the table, I think the OB deal went a long way towards making it more unlikely.

I personally believe york and his inside sources. York is a really good guy and has inside information. But one thing he said from the beginning is that things can change quickly. The OB deal and the guarantees that the ACC will not be shut out make the conference look better.

That being said, again, things can change quickly. If FSU were to bolt, then the ACC looks really bad. It's just an unsettling time.

the OB deal was spin to keep the conf together

Jul 6, 2012, 9:31 AM

it wasn't about revenue growth....couple of reasons for that..

1. It's the ACC for goodness sakes...obviously we aren't going to draw in a huge tv deal for this bowl...we can't draw in huge numbers for the season...how are we going to draw in huge numbers for an exhibition game?
2. Who is the opponent? It's not going to be an SEC, Big12, B1G, or Pac12 team. They aren't going to want to help the ACC. So you say ND but the problem is they aren't very good. Who else?

Here is what I think....

Jul 6, 2012, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Well, I guess you should always expect the unexpected ]

The OB deal will not be enough to keep FSU from leaving.

The Big XII wants to expand to twelve teams for conference championship game purposes.

I don't think it is any secret that the Big 12's top two targets were Notre Dame and FSU.

Notre Dame is not willing to forego its football independence and, therefore, is not an option.

Without Notre Dame, FSU's preference would be to have a southern partner join them.

That southern partner will be either Clemson or Georgia Tech.

agreed....I think GT moves before we do...they don't have

Jul 6, 2012, 9:33 AM

as long of a history in the ACC as we do...there are some that still see them as move of a southern school vs. Atlantic coast school. It's not as big of a cultural shift for them to move.

hahaha, i guess you're entitled to your opinion***

Jul 6, 2012, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Here is what I think.... ]

why would FSU want to stay in the ACC if they got

Jul 6, 2012, 9:35 AM

offered more $ elsewhere? This isn't a family...it's not like we are blood related with FSU and they are obligated to stay...this is a business deal.

Allow me to predict swag's response:

Jul 6, 2012, 9:37 AM

"Whatever, keep dreaming"

it is amazing how we can't have a discussion

Jul 6, 2012, 9:38 AM

it's just one liners and name calling.

It will be really interesting....

Jul 6, 2012, 9:38 AM [ in reply to hahaha, i guess you're entitled to your opinion*** ]

to see the reaction of some folks on this board when the Big 12 announces that it is expanding to twelve teams, particularly if Clemson is not one of the twelve teams but FSU and GT are.

I have no idea at this point what Clemson will ultimately do but I can tell you that the propsect of leaving the ACC for the Big 12 is not off the table as some would have you believe.

IF.....IF......that does happen...pray it doesn't

Jul 6, 2012, 9:39 AM

I would HATE to be the person answering the phone at Clemson that day....my goodness...

The people who are adamantly opposed to leaving the ACC

Jul 6, 2012, 9:42 AM

will do an about face faster than $#!7 through a Coot and attack the CU administration and BOT with an unparalleled vengeance for not being more proactive and forward thinking. Especially after the ACC runs out and adds two more basketball schools like UConn and Louisville to replace FSU and GT.

there would be a lot of venom***

Jul 6, 2012, 9:43 AM

I'm sure living in lala land is fun***

Jul 6, 2012, 9:31 AM [ in reply to I am not willing to conceed just yet..... ]

Re: I'm sure living in lala land is fun***

Jul 6, 2012, 9:38 AM

I'm starting to think you're another StanleyTiger creation. You have a lot of his personality traits.

does seem very similar doesnt it?***

Jul 6, 2012, 9:40 AM

The sky is orange in my world....

Jul 6, 2012, 9:52 AM [ in reply to I'm sure living in lala land is fun*** ]

At the end of the day, this isn't personal. For me, it always has been and always will be about what is in the best interest of Clemson University.

They don't re-use certain numbers. 11 & 12 were retired.***

Jul 6, 2012, 9:15 AM [ in reply to 13th member huh? So tell me, who were the 11th and 12th?*** ]

Ah, that explains it. I sit corrected

Jul 6, 2012, 9:18 AM

:)

Re: 13th member huh? So tell me, who were the 11th and 12th?***

Jul 6, 2012, 8:21 AM

We already established that it was Clemson and ND.

Re: Re: 13th member huh? So tell me, who were the 11th and 12th?***

Jul 6, 2012, 8:23 AM

They make 9 and 10. Joined July 1 when A&M and Missouri left.

Re: According to "The Dude" ;)

Jul 6, 2012, 8:38 AM

FSU is number 11, GT #12 followed by Louisville.

Re: Fla State

Jul 6, 2012, 8:39 AM

hahahaha you tiger net people are so smart since its a rumor ND and ga tech are going also.I would hate to lose fla state since they are one of the few teams that help fill our place up when they come to town.Have a good day and lets see what rumors come out today.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know,

Jul 6, 2012, 8:44 AM

I was really hoping the Clemson-and-FSU-to-Big12 rumors were true, but July 1 was the big "apocalypse" date by which everything had to happen and that went by with a whimper, not a bang. So it seems like expansion activity is dead until next summer.

And frankly, I'm a bit tired of being burned by the constant stream of "all but announced" rumors made by self-anointed expansion geniuses who are apparently just talking out of their a$$es in order to get publicity and/or viewership. So honestly, please take this "new rumor" and give it the attention it deserves, which is none.

It will be really interesting to see the reaction....

Jul 6, 2012, 8:55 AM

of the posters on this board if the Big 12 expands to twelve teams and Clemson isn't one of the twelve but FSU and GT are.

The folks on this board who are adamantly opposed to leaving the ACC will attack the CU administration and BOT with an unparalleled vengeance.

put together your list now because all i've seen are those

Jul 6, 2012, 8:59 AM

that are the butt hurt who have no one to blame but themselves for getting caught up in the emotion of this whole thing.

and that's on both sides.

Honestly, I'll be furious if FSU and GT jump without us

Jul 6, 2012, 10:38 AM [ in reply to It will be really interesting to see the reaction.... ]

I think FSU leaving would be a serious blow to the conference. I'm backing off the "devastating" prediction I'd been making to this point, but it would still be pretty bad. We'd lose Clemson's firmest ally in all aspects, leaving only us and Virginia Tech as programs with similarly-aligned interests. VT strikes me as fickle so I don't really trust them, and they don't have nearly the influence that FSU does--FSU at least had enough weight to throw around that it made Tobacco Road nervous. VT has no such weight.

I've been saying for 2 years, and will continue to say, that FSU and Clemson need to stay or move as partners. I hope they're still talking on backchannels to make sure that remains the case, though I'm less confident than I have been.

GT leaving the conference would hurt, but it wouldn't have nearly the impact that losing FSU would. And frankly if FSU must strike out without us, I'd be okay with them taking GT with them. At least that way the ACC would stay at an even number of teams and not be forced to go out and invite an ill-fitting school like Louisville, Rutgers, UConn, etc. It'd be interesting if that opened up a spot for ND, but I seriously doubt FSU would defect without knowing that ND had already rejected ACC overtures.

I'm resigned to being in a new, uncharted ACC conference at this point and I'm trying not to be too bitter about it. The best salve at this point would be to curbstomp every conference opponent on the schedule. No mercy.

This was 5 minutes I will never get back.***

Jul 6, 2012, 8:59 AM

I just don't see the Big 12 as being that awesome....Texas

Jul 6, 2012, 10:28 AM

is on the downfall of Mack Brown's career.Stoops is slipping a bit,Bill Snyder is almost dead and he's the only coach who ever won in Manhattan.TCU is solid,Baylor is a joke,do I even need to mention Iowa St,Kansas and TT.

Clemson Texas
FSU Oklahoma
VT OK State
GT WVU
Miami TCU
NC State Baylor
UVA Kansas St
UNC Iowa St
Pitt Kansas
Maryland Texas Tech
Wake Forest
Boston College