Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Well boys...Ole Spud caught a few today but mostly
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Well boys...Ole Spud caught a few today but mostly

Sep 27, 2017, 8:38 PM

The Spottails made a fool out of me...and I broke one of my cardinal rules.....ALLWAYS BUY 2...TEE DUBYA OHHH...LURES. Because when you screw up and toss a topwater lure where you know you shouldn't on 10lb. Test instead of braid......well....you DON'T get to post a picture!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice fish either way

Sep 27, 2017, 8:47 PM

Nothing better than "fish on "

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fins Up***

Sep 29, 2017, 3:03 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well boys...Ole Spud caught a few today but mostly

Sep 27, 2017, 8:50 PM

Nice! I'm guessing that's on the Wando? My dad and I always come there for Spring Break. We take half a blue crab, crack its top shell off and then crack the body in half, and hook it on the joint of the last leg. We fish it on the bottom and use a 5/0 hook. We've caught several large reds using this method. Keep updating your trips!
Have Fun and Go Tigers!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spud, what's the difference between a

Sep 27, 2017, 9:17 PM

big ol' good 'un and a a great ol' big 'un??????

'bout 4# and 4"????????

22 inches...actually measured that one for Furious George..

Sep 27, 2017, 9:20 PM

I would say a solid 4. Had 3 others like that today, but they were more intent on knocking my lure up in the air than inhaling it.....until that Spottail got the best of me...

Re: 22 inches...actually measured that one for Furious George..

Sep 28, 2017, 7:34 AM

It's about time you started measuring yr fish instead of guestimating length and weight! That's a nice 'un buddy but you know I told you to start using braid so I don't wanna hear any excuses about losing stuff. I wish I could of been there with you buddy- it's always best when you can share yr good experiences with someone else! Just not the same when you catch them by yourself!

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

I was using braid on the one he blew 4 feet out of the water

Sep 28, 2017, 8:43 AM

Sep 27, 2017, 9:20 PM

Nice looking gator trout there

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 27, 2017, 9:25 PM

Nice trout Spud. Have you tried a large gulp shrimp under a rattle float? I have had good luck with that rig both for trout and spot tails. When they get a little finicky I fish 3 rigs under floats, live large shrimp, large mud minnow hooked in the tail, and cut mullet. Good luck the rest of the week, cooler weather is moving in for the weekend. Sometimes a good bite occurs on the front end of a front. All is not lost blackened trout is hard to beat. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I haven't. I either want to see the explosion on top, or

Sep 27, 2017, 10:14 PM

feel that tick. I probably had 25 blow ups today. But, they just didn't eat it. The only thing that compares to a spottail busting on top is a covey rise. But, I was born about 20 years too late for the really good bird hunting....

Re: I haven't. I either want to see the explosion on top, or

Sep 28, 2017, 10:01 AM

You are right Spud, real Mr. BobWhite hunting is over. When I was coming up we had six coveys on our place, we even named them. The fence row covey, the church covey, the shut bottom covey, the Milk House pond covey, the tenant house covey, and the branch covey. We had two male Lemon Spot bird dogs named Joe and Laddy. We got them as pups from a good neighbor. Man were they good dogs, they knew how to hunt from birth and required very little training.

Here is how good they were. Our neighbor had a rich brother-in law from Atlanta who bird hunted in Georgia. He came up for a hunt with a friend and they arrived with their fancy little trailers and pedigreed dogs with big fancy names. Our neighbor invited Daddy to bring his two dogs to hunt with him and the Momma of our dogs. They hunted a large tract of land that our neighbor was renting in another county. Our neighbor's and our two dogs found all the birds that day, all the big name dogs managed to to was back all day. At the end of the day one of the friend from Atlanta offered Daddy $500 each for our two dogs. When Daddy got home he told me about this, he told me you will never know how hard it was for me to turn down that offer. He said he knew how much I loved those dogs and how much we enjoyed hunting together. The birds are gone, the dogs are gone, and Daddy is gone. All that's left now are memories.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You need to go buy the book, " The Best of Havilah Babcock".

Sep 28, 2017, 10:31 AM

In my opinion,he is the only coot in history that was worth a ####. He was an outdoor writer and professor at South Carolina. I would have loved to have been in his classes....

Re: I haven't. I either want to see the explosion on top, or

Sep 28, 2017, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Re: I haven't. I either want to see the explosion on top, or ]

"The birds are gone, the dogs are gone, and Daddy is gone. All that's left now are memories."

Well said! Same here and I'm sure there are many more like us. It was a different world then and I sure miss it.

I still have all of my guns, and those of my father and grandfather, but the ones that bring the most joy today are when I hold the 20ga. Ithaca 37 featherweight given to me for Christmas when I was 10 and the 12ga O/U skeet/skeet that I used to shoot covey rises and walk up singles. I do wish I could do it once more.

Do you think 10% of tnetters know what Skeet/Skeet is? I had

Sep 28, 2017, 10:08 PM

lots of guns, but the one I could bust'em with was an 1100 special field. 20 ga. with a 21 inch barrel and a straight English stock. Used to load my own with #9's......

Sep 27, 2017, 9:42 PM

Nice Speck, wish I had time to go.

Sep 28, 2017, 7:39 AM

love catching spot tails, or as the yankees call them, weakfish. good eating too

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 28, 2017, 9:04 AM

Weakfish thrive in the Northeast, from about Virginia to Mass. Seatrout live from VA to FL. Weakfish have elongated spots, whereas spotted seatrout(specks) have round specks much like a brown trout, hence their nickname "specks." But they both taste equally delicious. Also Balm, to further add to the confusion,the spottail he is referring to is a red drum, also known as channel bass, redfish, spottail bass, or simply red, and is a game fish found in the Atlantic Ocean from Massachusetts to Florida and in the Gulf of Mexico from Florida to northern Mexico. The specks(speckled trout) which are cousins to yr weakfish are better tasting but the spottails(red drum) are much stronger fighting fish(that's why he says they broke him off.) Hope this helps, but it's easy to get confused with all the similar names.

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Weakfish look just like trout here on the Wando...Hard to

Sep 28, 2017, 10:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Well boys...Ole Spud caught a few today but mostly ]

tell the difference....and the limit is ONE!!!!

Re: Weakfish look just like trout here on the Wando...Hard to

Sep 28, 2017, 10:37 AM

Spots are slightly bigger on weakfish

The fins are how you tell.......***

Sep 28, 2017, 10:09 PM

Re: Weakfish look just like trout here on the Wando...Hard to

Sep 28, 2017, 10:39 AM [ in reply to Weakfish look just like trout here on the Wando...Hard to ]

You going back today or spending the day with Mrs. Spud?

Technically

Sep 28, 2017, 10:51 AM [ in reply to Weakfish look just like trout here on the Wando...Hard to ]

They are in the same genus - Cynoscion

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/news/yr2010/june21/weakfishspottedposter.pdf

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Weakfish look just like trout here on the Wando...Hard to

Sep 28, 2017, 9:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Well boys...Ole Spud caught a few today but mostly ]

tell the difference....and the limit is ONE!!!!

Nice.

Sep 28, 2017, 8:49 AM

I caught this marlin...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

did you see what @classof1994 caught?

Sep 28, 2017, 10:59 AM
IMG_2682.PNG(89.8 K)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

That's a lot of spots

Sep 28, 2017, 8:57 AM
all spots.JPG(98.6 K)

Check out this one I caught in 2007 off Ocracoke.

Re: That's a lot of spots

Sep 28, 2017, 8:59 AM

of course sea trout spots > spot tail spots

I'm stupid

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic