Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Flights booked. Now, are there any traps when it comes to
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Flights booked. Now, are there any traps when it comes to

May 15, 2015, 10:25 AM

getting a rental car. Also how have I made it this far in life without renting a car?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Having just turned 25

May 15, 2015, 10:26 AM

I have never had the need to rent a vehicle.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Just blow your way across the country?***

May 15, 2015, 10:27 AM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You would have also had a great deal of

May 15, 2015, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Having just turned 25 ]

hassle trying to do so.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just return it to the same location to avoid "drop fees"

May 15, 2015, 10:27 AM

Does your employer have a discount program?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll have to ask around. I would be shocked if we did

May 15, 2015, 10:28 AM

though. The trappings of working for a small company.

or maybe your credit card has a deal.***

May 15, 2015, 12:04 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Check under the seats for weed.

May 15, 2015, 10:33 AM

You might get lucky.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like travelocity for car rentals. They'll show you rates

May 15, 2015, 10:35 AM

from a buncha rental agencies at once. No deposit required to hold the rental.
Even when I looked into discounted rental car rates through insurance, credit cards etc those 'discounts' come off of the full rate, so just cheaper usually to skip those.

Also, if you can wait til last minute you might get something SUPER cheap - or end up SOL.

#ACCFTS

Book a hatchback, show up...no hatchbacks available, take

May 15, 2015, 10:40 AM

the Impala instead. This was Greenr's experience in San Antonio.

BuddyOfGreenr did this in Jackson and got a 4wd truck. We rode that beyotch everywhere.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have booked a Chevy Spark before and

May 15, 2015, 11:00 AM

received a Chevy Spark. It had 3 cylinders. I couldn't quite reach 65. Your plan has its pitfalls. Slow, whiny, cramped pitfalls.

LOL 84 HP.

May 15, 2015, 11:03 AM

I don't think I will aim for the cheapest car.

Burnt orange '76 Cadillac ragtop with longhorn hood ornament***

May 15, 2015, 12:06 PM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fill it up before returning it. On insurance...

May 15, 2015, 10:50 AM

Confirm that your auto insurance covers you for rentals, then decline the extra coverages offered when you pick up the car.

They'll offer to fill up with gas for you, if you're willing to pay a huge premium for it. Fill up on the way back to drop it off, and keep the receipt.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^this

May 15, 2015, 11:02 AM

use a discount site like orbitz, expedia, etc. for the best deals. If you are only concerned with getting from point A to B, try to get into a bottom line economy car. Do be careful with the discount sites though as more often than not you are required to prepay and have no option for a refund if you need to cancel.

double this

May 15, 2015, 11:37 AM [ in reply to Fill it up before returning it. On insurance... ]

Your employer or your own insurance may cover you. Know before you decline the insurance. Wrecking a rental ain't cheap.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A lot of credit cards cover rental car insurance as well***

May 15, 2015, 2:37 PM [ in reply to Fill it up before returning it. On insurance... ]

gofundaero come through?***

May 15, 2015, 10:52 AM

Of course not.***

May 15, 2015, 10:53 AM

Don't rent through Thrifty, and don't blow through

May 15, 2015, 11:23 AM

a toll booth. They'll charge you like $15 when the toll was only $1.50. Thrifty also only has like 1 pickup van for every 5 Enterprise vans in my experience.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Many states are implementing boothless tolls.

May 15, 2015, 11:34 AM

You drive on a toll road, you have 7 days to go online and pay it. You fail to do that, they send you a letter, and you pay the toll and a late fee. If they send that letter to a rental agency, that company will supply the state with your name and address for the state to bill you directly. That company will then charge your credit card $30 to cover their inconvenience (does not include toll)

That seems excessive.***

May 15, 2015, 11:39 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And yet there is not one ####### thing you can do to

May 15, 2015, 11:42 AM

get that $30 back.

I got a ticket from a toll road in New York. I have never

May 15, 2015, 12:06 PM

been to New York. Luckily the agent I spoke with said the car was certainly not a Camry.

use Silvercar if there is one nearby***

May 15, 2015, 11:46 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That sounds expensive. No need for that.***

May 15, 2015, 12:08 PM

this entire thread is complaining about problems with rental

May 15, 2015, 12:17 PM

whether its tolls, insurance, gas, gimmicks, tricks, membership cards/discounts, et al. that is pulled by the crazy rental car business.

Silvercar has none of that - you know what you're getting and paying for upfront....and its an Audi to boot. The biggest issue is they are only in a few markets like LAX and south Florida.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They started in Austin so you would assume Aero could get

May 15, 2015, 12:45 PM

one in Austin

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know TXTF

May 15, 2015, 12:45 PM

Has got one in Austin before.

I don't need one in Austin, I need one in

May 15, 2015, 1:08 PM [ in reply to They started in Austin so you would assume Aero could get ]

Dallas. I wonder what the hell am I going to do in Dallas for 6 hours without a car though.

pretty sure theyre in Dallas***

May 15, 2015, 1:14 PM

Whale #### a duck, I thought you was going to Austin.

May 15, 2015, 2:39 PM [ in reply to I don't need one in Austin, I need one in ]

Dallas Lulz. Enjoy Jerryworld

The flight to Dallas was much cheaper. I was going to

May 15, 2015, 2:54 PM

need to rent a car anyway, so I am flying into and out of Dallas. Austin will be driven. I will see if there is anything else I can visit along the way.

just buy a new BMW and take delivery once you touchdown in

May 15, 2015, 11:52 AM

Austin.

#JoungeLife

A BMW...In Texas?

May 15, 2015, 12:04 PM

He would get laughed out of the state. He needs one of these bad boys.

Costco is also awesome with rentals.***

May 15, 2015, 11:53 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

pro tip - rental drivers often leave keys in car at airport

May 15, 2015, 2:57 PM

just hang around the rental return area and wait for a stooge to be in a hurry to make his flight. Sometimes they don't even bother to shut the door - they expect the help to tend to it. A middle aged white overweight guy in a rumpled business suit is your best candidate. As he trundles off towards the terminal building, jump in the car he just left behind and go. Freebie! Everything will be billed to his card after he gets back home to Minneapolis.

Dump it off within 1/4 mile of airport when you are done.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic