Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Few thoughts on what I've seen through the first two games..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 648

Few thoughts on what I've seen through the first two games..

Sep 12, 2012, 6:52 PM

Offensively:

1. The tempo is pretty unbelievable. I have been very impressed with the amount of snaps, and the speed, that we are getting. Even in long drives, we go so fast the defense has a hard time subbing and getting lined up properly.

2. Boyd has managed the games extremely well. He is not forcing throws. He looks cool and calm. The addition of him running the ball more has been, and will be, huge.

3. The Pistol really plays into our strengths. AE is a "pure" RB, meaning he has a lean, and he runs behind his pads. He hits the hole quicker than anyone I've seen at Clemson. The Pistol makes it tough for defenses to get a read on the ball. A lot of defenses, vs. 3 and 4 wide, will call their strength opposite the back. The Pistol gives us a numbers advantage on one side of the line, and it allows AE to play to his strengths.

4. Nuk has unbelievable hands, and is really a matchup problem. If you bump him, you better have help over the top. If you play off, he's can turn the hitch or slant into 8-10 yds.

5. If I'm a DC, I have no idea how I play us when Nuk and Sammy are opposite each other. If you play two high, you are probably only going to have 5-6 in the box. If you roll down, and put an extra hat in the box for AE or TB, then someone is getting single coverage. I'll be interested to see what FSU does.

Defensively:

1. I'm probably in the minority, but I haven't been too upset with the defense. There have been some mistakes due to youth and inexperience, but I do see improvement.

2. BV is going to put LBs in positions to make plays. The DL is going to have to control their gaps, and allow LBs to get over the top. The long runs that have been broken against us can be directly related to these two things not happening.

3. Anthony is a very good LB, and when he reads things right, he's a monster in the hole. He has had a tendency to be a little slow on his read, and not fit as tight as he needs to. On one long run vs. BSU, he didn't get down hill fast enough, and got caught behind a DL. He didn't have the proper angle to fit the hole, and it was broken for a long gain. It was his gap, and he was unaccounted for. If he fits it, he meets the RB in the hole.

4. I think these are things that will continue to improve. The more snaps our LBs see, the better they will fit ball side gaps and cutbacks. When they start playing inside out consistently, we will be pretty tough.

5. Obviously, our DB's seem to need some work. However, I think we gameplanned to stop the run against AU, and our guy got beat once or twice. We were not going to let Frazier beat us with his legs. Against BSU, I think we dropped more into coverage, and it showed in our run support. They had been throwing it around quite a bit, and we decided not to let that beat us. I've seen very good in-game adjustments from BV so far.

The bottom line is this. BV is in the perfect situation, b/c he has a young defense to go along with a very scary offense. Our offense is our best defense right now, and that's ok. We may not be as flashy as Oregon, but I think we are, or at least will be, the most feared offense for DC's in the country. We are that good and dangerous on the offensive side.

That's great for BV, b/c it allows him to keep teaching and watching our guys improve.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I tend to agree

Sep 12, 2012, 6:59 PM

Not mad at the D, just need some fine tuning. Plus, our D doesn't have to be great. Just good enough to contribute to winning games. As long as the O stays healthy I don't see winning games being a problem. I am sticking to my 10 win prediction and if it does happen.......... I WILL BE THE HAPPIEST TIGER FAN EVER!!

The only way to stop our offensive skill is to force Boyd

Sep 12, 2012, 7:29 PM

into bad decisions so that we go 3 and out or turn it over and to run the ball and consume the clock against our defense. I'm hoping the changes Morris has made to the offense and the changes Boyd made in his foot quickness and decision making will make it a lot harder for teams to affect Boyd. The offensive line seems better than last year's.

I'm just not sure we have the size and talent in the defensive front four to stop teams from eating clock against us.

If we can hold teams to mostly field goals like we have so far, we may have the running game this year and experience in the offense to score more touchdowns compared to field goals and win some games that way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good assessment

Sep 12, 2012, 7:32 PM

I think a lot of people act like since we don't look like Bama defensively we suck. We're young, not that deep, and have plenty to work on, but overall I think we've held our own and look pretty decent. Certainly good enough to hold our own with the way the offense is looking!

welcome back.***

Sep 12, 2012, 7:43 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Replies: 4
| visibility 648
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic