Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fellow non-UDPs, Amazon Buttoned Down ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Fellow non-UDPs, Amazon Buttoned Down ?

Dec 14, 2016, 11:53 AM

Are they decent quality? How do they fit?

https://www.amazon.com/Buttoned-Down-Non-Iron-Fitted-Pinpoint/dp/B01IOY4VXA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481729413&sr=8-2&keywords=button%2Bdown%2Bmen%27s%2Bnon-iron%2Bfitted%2Bpinpoint%2Bspread%2Bcollar%2Bdress&th=1

Amazon Now Wants Into Your Closet
The company’s “Buttoned Down” line is available exclusively to Prime members.
By
Avi Salzman
Dec. 13, 2016 5:23 p.m. ET

Amazon wants to take on apparel heavyweights. The company is launching a new line of dress shirts. PHOTO: PIXABAY

Look out Brooks Brothers! Amazon.com recently rolled out its own brand of men’s dress shirts, offering them exclusively to people who buy into its Prime subscription service. It’s a smart move that makes the Prime service even more valuable.

Amazon is aiming to attract higher-end buyers who might otherwise go to Brooks Brothers orNordstrom. But it’s selling the shirts at a significant discount to those brands. After all, undercutting rivals is the Amazon way. The apparel brand is called Buttoned Down, and the shirts cost $39 to $49. A Brooks Brothers button down shirt using the same Supima cotton costs $92.

“We are committed to making shirts that stack up to brands you would pay double for, or your money back,” Amazon says.

The company’s money-back guarantee is unconditional, meaning you could presumably send a shirt back simply out of “spite”, as Jerry Seinfeld once tried to do.

Amazon’s move should strike fear into higher-end apparel companies that might have been immune from Internet competition in the past. The Amazon Prime list is the world’s greatest marketing list, and every time Amazon adds exclusive items to its Prime service, it becomes even more valuable. By making its own apparel, Amazon gets to keep more of the upside and gains leverage over other brands.

Buttoned Down will soon offer pants and sweaters. If the line becomes popular, Amazon will have a new industry to dominate.

Big Picture: Amazon’s decision to make its own shirts should worry higher-end apparel companies.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Realtalk: When i have to buy work shirts I get LLBean

Dec 14, 2016, 11:55 AM

cause they last for freaking ever and ever. And they will replace a worn out one if you send it back to them for free.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#ACCFTS

Lands End has been my go to for shirts.

Dec 14, 2016, 11:58 AM

They're good quality as well and pretty reasonable when you catch a sale.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ROH

One thing I've noticed about Land's End lately..........

Dec 14, 2016, 12:34 PM

They're going the Jos A Bank route....it might be impossible to NOT catch a sale there.

Every day for the past 2 months has been 40-50% off.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am going to order one and see how it fits.

I love that they actually have the long sleeve length I need.

ROH

Couple issues

1. Quality
2. No golden lamb to prove to everyone how filthy rich you are.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

How would a non-UDP know?

They're still buying Brooks Brothers, cause cashflow.

This seems like Amazon wants to lift up UDPs into dressing in non UDP attire.

lol at not wearing Southern Tide everything

Dec 14, 2016, 12:08 PM

Thefuck is wrong with yall?

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've started going custom on my dress shirts.

Dec 14, 2016, 12:19 PM

When I buy right, I can get em for $60-70, and they're a world of difference.

One thing I noticed about the Buttoned down is that they have no pleat on the back on the fitted ones....not sure how that'll work on an off the rack shirt....if it fits you perfectly, great, but if not.......

As someone else mentioned, for non-custom shirt, I've switched to Land's End.....for $30-ish bucks you can't beat the quality. Only advantage Brooks Brothers shirts have is that I haven't found anyone yet who makes non-iron shirts that really are non-iron like theirs are.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

aaaannnnnnnnnnnnnd

Dec 14, 2016, 12:27 PM

my #### post quota for the day has been met.

reach for the stars, obed

Dec 14, 2016, 12:39 PM

no more of this ass-half-empty attitude

(but i hear u on dat BB non-iron ish...the Banana Republic non-irons are pretty good, too...but each one i get is on automatic 'surprise hole at the left elbow' watch)

Can't do BR.

Dec 14, 2016, 12:45 PM

Their sizing policy on everything seems to be "take true size, scale it down 20%". And regarding the elbow thing, I have the same problem with shirts, and I'm pretty sure that BR shirts are made from a combination of paper mache and spider webs.

....since we're still doing the heauxmeaux posts

Dec 14, 2016, 12:50 PM

their new-ish 'Camden' fit scales it back up to 'normal semi-overweight American male' sizing

That's a smart business move on their part.

Dec 14, 2016, 12:52 PM

I imagine that catering to petite metrosexual baristas was a pretty niche market.

unless they develop a flannel line.***

Dec 14, 2016, 12:53 PM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I did not notice there was no back pleat. Good catch

Dec 14, 2016, 12:28 PM [ in reply to I've started going custom on my dress shirts. ]

maybe I wont order one and will just stick with what I know.

ROH

I rarely wear button downs anymore, but the best fit I've

Dec 14, 2016, 12:37 PM [ in reply to I've started going custom on my dress shirts. ]

found are the Overton shirts that most independent clothiers like MH Frank, or the Men's Shop in York rebrand as their own. Great fit, wrinkle-free, and last forever. Since I don't call on customers anymore, and have essentially given up caring in the least about the place I work, I pretty much wear what I want to and nobody says a word. They're dang lucky I haven't reached the point of wearing a wife-beater and plaid cargo jorts yet.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I miss the Men's Shop.....Ronnie was a

Dec 14, 2016, 12:42 PM

good guy, and you could find some steals there when he'd have end of season sales.

He is really pimping the SOuthern Tide, Southern Proper, etc

Dec 14, 2016, 12:44 PM

lines now. I think they have a good amount of college age students showing up with Daddy's credit card. Ronnie used to let me get stuff and put it on my Dad's tab back in the day, doubt I could do that now. Since Dad quit working at the Bank, he doesn't wear Ronnie's suits anymore.

Or get a shirt and get it tailored***

Dec 14, 2016, 12:54 PM [ in reply to I've started going custom on my dress shirts. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Yeah, but $30-40 for a shirt plus $20 for tailoring,

Dec 14, 2016, 12:56 PM

might as well get it custom to start.

And if annybody wants a kustom shirt....

Dec 14, 2016, 1:00 PM

ping me for a link....we'll both get $20 off

#SpamMasterJay

You try that mobile tailor app?***

Dec 14, 2016, 1:01 PM

No, but it's online based and shirts made in Japan.

Dec 14, 2016, 1:03 PM

I was a little wary on the first one but they'll do a free remake if you don't like the fit, and once you get the fit dialed in, you're golden.

hit me with that link, I'll take a look at what they have***

Dec 14, 2016, 1:04 PM

hit***

Dec 14, 2016, 1:15 PM

Samesies***

Dec 14, 2016, 1:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

in?***

Dec 14, 2016, 1:18 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're golden until you eat a huge meal

Dec 14, 2016, 2:40 PM [ in reply to No, but it's online based and shirts made in Japan. ]

or take a huge shit, but other than that...golden.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dude, I don't get the Jesse Palmer fit.***

Dec 14, 2016, 2:45 PM

consider yourself pung***

Dec 14, 2016, 2:47 PM [ in reply to And if annybody wants a kustom shirt.... ]

It's $12 for my tailor, but I see your point.

Dec 14, 2016, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Yeah, but $30-40 for a shirt plus $20 for tailoring, ]

But most of my shirts have Clemson paws on them, so I have to spend $75 on those, and tailor them.

Charles Tyrwhitt makes great shirts around those prices

Dec 14, 2016, 12:28 PM

(They is always a coupon code to get the price there).

I've wondered about those

Dec 14, 2016, 12:40 PM

but then i throw away the random catalogs they send and forget about them

Just ordered two

Dec 14, 2016, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Charles Tyrwhitt makes great shirts around those prices ]

Since my wardrobe is 90% short sleeve golf shirts, need to up my game for winter. We'll see how it goes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

UDP post incoming

Dec 14, 2016, 12:45 PM

I only wear Joseph Abboud shirts from Men's Warehouse. Solid, thick, wrinkle free, and fit well.

So on those occasions when you don't look good,

Dec 14, 2016, 12:46 PM

how does the guarantee work?

If I ever get the urge to go into a Men's Warehouse, I just go take a quick walk through my nearest buy-here, pay-here used car lot instead. Very similar customer experience.

Protip: Online shopping.***

Dec 14, 2016, 12:51 PM

I went into Men's Warehouse once looking for a suit

Dec 14, 2016, 1:11 PM [ in reply to So on those occasions when you don't look good, ]

And it smelled like a mixture between Burlington Coat Factory and the old Beck Academy stairwells. No thanks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I went into one once when I was traveling and had forgotten

Dec 14, 2016, 1:12 PM

a shirt.

This dude in a threadbare suit with Oliver Purnell breath glommed onto me and tried to upsell me every item they had in the store.

I would imagine it takes a Lane Kiffen like career path in

Dec 14, 2016, 1:18 PM

sales to end up selling suits at Mens Warehouse.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thick?

Dec 14, 2016, 12:46 PM [ in reply to UDP post incoming ]

that sounds horrible

Thick may have been a poor word choice, 100% cotton, so

Dec 14, 2016, 12:48 PM

not that shiny polyester ####.

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic