Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Family vs. Business - long
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,950

Family vs. Business - long

Apr 30, 2012, 8:55 AM

I read on another post about how usc hired their coach to win games and that they understand that it is a business. While I understand that on a certain level, I think that is the main thing that separates our two institutions. Family vs. Business. I live in Columbia. Last week Cory Miller was talking about how his university did not reach out to former athletes. This is not new. John Roach still will not set foot on the campus. Several callers (all usc fans) stated that they have seen the same thing. One caller stated he could not get usc coaches to come speak at event (Spartanburg Touchdown Club) while the Clemson coaches would come at a moments notice. At Clemson games I see former athletes returning and see the love that is bestowed on them. Now in fairness, I have been to one usc game but I have heard that they do not recognize their past players.

So here is my point...in a family, you are irreplaceable. In a business, you are just another cog in the wheel. You leave, another one comes in. Recruits and players talk about how Clemson has a Family feel. I know that this is a personal preference, but I will choose family over a business every day.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Family vs. Business - long

Apr 30, 2012, 9:26 AM

You are right about the family attitude at Clemson. For example: I went to the Prowl and Growl in Charleston. When Coach Dabo was asked about the confused linebacker play of last season he took it very personal.The tone of Coach Dabo's response was that of a proud father whose sons were just insulted. I really appreciated the passion and responsibility that Coach Dabo displayed. This does make a difference to those players and is a big reason why so many of our former player come back. By the way Dustin Fry was in attendance. (As you all know)He was a player under Coach Bowden coming out to support his "family."

Apr 30, 2012, 10:30 AM

Roche has actually come back several times. A lot of the former McGuire guys come not because of the school ignoring them, but because they feel the school pushed out McGuire and wouldn't hire his handpicked successor. They are sticking up for their guy.

There was some of this in the past, but the Hyman administration has been very good about welcoming people back. Guys like Sharpe, Tanneyhill, Suggs, etc are frequent visitors.

Apr 30, 2012, 10:44 AM

George Rogers has been on your payroll since he was 17, so he is always around.

Sterling Sharpe is barely involved at any level with scu...

Apr 30, 2012, 8:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Family vs. Business - long ]

I live in the columbia area and you never hear on the news about former scu players coming back. So making false claims won't work around here. Columbia area Tiger fans know about scu's former players indifference to scu. Tanneyhill and George Rogers are about the only guys scu has had involved. As far as suggs, scu is all he has got, the guy has nothing else in his life.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That pretty much sums it up.***

Apr 30, 2012, 10:45 AM

Apr 30, 2012, 11:03 AM

This is nothing new. Coots are a win at all cost mentality. Winning at usuc is very new to them. They actually feel that every body that wins are cheating. And they will get caught cheating again, and it won't be that long before it happens again. It will be done by Boosters, and it will be done to look as Spurrier had no idea what was going own. Spurrier's long time good name by playing by the rules is what got them the slap on their wrist. But I will always believe he knew exactly what was going on. Spurriers game is, keep all your coaches out of the cheating. He knows the the NCAA realizes that coaches can't control Boosters. When the NCAA comes looking, open all the doors and books. And he is sure no dirt would be found inside his program. There is no way I believe he was dumb to what was going on. Look at his recruiting, he gets the top guys for his specific needs. And MOST will come from inside our state. This is why I believe he had no concerns at all that anything real bad was going to happen to his program. And nothing did. Careless cheating will get the hammer dropped on your head. Careful planed defensive cheating, gets your wrist slapped. Spurrier is no dummy, and he has found a way to win at USUC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think encouraging graduation also has a lot to do with it

Apr 30, 2012, 12:31 PM

For as long as I can remember Clemson has actively encouraged their athletes to graduate. I remember seeing Tree Rollins and others in the off season back at Clemson taking classes to graduate. I believe that this was on scholarship or IPTAY when needed (sure Tree could afford but not everyone went pro).

There is somethig about ties to your school when it includes graduation. It meant a lot to CJ. I think the coaches really use this in recruiting too.

At So Car they don't care whether or not their athletes graduate, let alone get any education. It has caught up with them.

Re: I think encouraging graduation also has a lot to do with it

Apr 30, 2012, 5:52 PM

Kind of a loaded statement. I have only been following USC since about 2000, but a lot of players have come back to graduate. Jasper Brinkley, Tori Gurley, even Corey Jenkins have all recently come back to finish up their degrees. Spurrier has put a fairly big emphasis on graduation.

It may not have been this way in the 80s or 90s, but it today.

scu's football team has a 39% graduation rate***

Apr 30, 2012, 8:16 PM [ in reply to I think encouraging graduation also has a lot to do with it ]

Re: scu's football team has a 39% graduation rate***

Apr 30, 2012, 10:06 PM

Those numbers are by definition about 6 years old. We have made up a lot of ground under Spurrier.

Don't have the numbers in front of me, but the last few semesters in a row we have broken records for graduation and for team GPA. This is true for all sports, not just FB. The new academic center and the increase in academic staff has helped.

Clemson is certainly very good at this, but don't think USC isn't dedicated to it as well. Our past is our past, but we have made up a lot of ground lately.

Re: scu's football team has a 39% graduation rate***

May 1, 2012, 5:32 AM

According to an article in USA Today in October of 2010, usc's rate was 57%. It did not list Clemson's rate but did have the highest ACC school as being Duke and the lowest being NC State with a rate of 72%.

Players go to SC to play in the SEC.

Apr 30, 2012, 11:45 AM

Players come to Clemson to play for Clemson. They love their school and will be a tiger for life. I don't ever remember any gamecock greats, not that I know ANY gamecock greats, talk about how they loved their school/coaches and how it was a great experience for them and really help them to become better players and men in general.

Coming out of high school I had no preference for either Clemson or SC. My sister went to Clemson so I had been up there before. When I visited SC I couldn't stand the campus. It was spread out, in the middle of downtown, and I didn't like the feel at all.

Choosing Clemson was the best decision I ever made. The campus feels like your right at home. The atmopshere is second to none. You realize that you are making a life long committment to the school and those that went there with you.

My first experience in DV was at the night game in 2007 against FSU. I wasn't a huge football buff, played Basketball since I was 4, but after that game and the feeling of DV got into my blood, I can now name all our of coaches, 1st and 2nd string players, all of our recruits and have broken down more then one game to my fmaily memebers.

Till the day I die I will will bleed orange a rep my Tigers. I have friends who went to SC and they will never say the same. That school is a means to an end. Nothing more.

You spelled 'snort' wrong.***

Apr 30, 2012, 12:14 PM

scu's campus doesn't even feel like a campus, it just feels

Apr 30, 2012, 8:18 PM [ in reply to Players go to SC to play in the SEC. ]

like your in the middle of columbia, there is no special feel to it that separates from the rest of columbia.

That is why James Johnson came here. The family atmosphere.***

Apr 30, 2012, 11:46 AM

In fairness to UCS....

Apr 30, 2012, 2:11 PM

...when so many of your alums have to work the weekend shift, or their arrest anklets don't let them travel, it's kinda hard for the to go back to the school.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I talked just last week to a former Clemson player…..

Apr 30, 2012, 8:10 PM

back from the 80's, who still goes to the camps in the summer and keeps in touch with all the former players and stays involved with Clemson.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,950
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic